Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM
TCKIBE
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking Alternator

My Charge Light Is On, No Charge At Idle, Over 16 Volts When Driving. Took Alternator Back To Rebuilder,only Months Old. He Gave Me Another One, Told Me I Might Need A Battery So I Replaced It. Installed The Alt And As Soon As Hooked Up The Battery The Alternator Started To Smoke. Took It Back To Rebuilder He Replaced Brushes, And Said I Must Have Shorted The Back Of The Regulator. Reinstalled No Smoke Until I Turned The Pulley By Hand. Took Alternator Back Off Could Feel Something Catching When Turning. Took It Back Again He Took It Apart Said The Armature Was Hitting The Wiring Inside The Case, Moved The Wiring, Reassembled It And Bench Tested It Said All Was Good, I Reinstalled It And No Charge, Indicator Light Is On. Any Clues As To Where To Look?
Thanks Tim

Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
look for a new, not rebuilt alternator from a parts store you trust.

get your money refunded from rebuilder.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:16 AM
fordrulz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My advice is to get away from this guy. Like Quick said, find another source for your alternator and stop fooling with this dude. I almost lost my house, and my garage to a vehicle fire, started from an alternator (Ford recall) and it is nothing to fool with, as most fires start in this area. It seems obvious to me this gentleman does not have a clue what he is doing, and you will pay for his lack of knowledge --- trust me.