6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Long or Short?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 PM
JMarkM
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long or Short?

Ok second post on the forum:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on an 08 F250 King Ranch but can't decide if I want a long or short bed truck. I know I will like the ride better and I can pull my future 5v'er with both... but the question is has anyone regretted the 8' or vice versa. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
jaybird
Senior User
Pull your future fiver with the long box and larger tank..
Thats my choice for pulling a fiver..
Good luck..

Old 03-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
short box unless you plan on putting alot of long things in the box. thats my opinon though its up to you

Old 03-01-2007, 09:28 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My last four trucks have been 8 footers..Loved it! The additional fuel capacity is a plus....once you get a home equity loan to cover your fuel ups.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
mattebury
Senior User
Long bed for me, I pull a fiver plus more fuel, I hate stopping at the gas station, but it hurts to see 40 gallons at $3 per!

Downside, have to park in the north forty at work and the shopping centers. Turns like a cruise ship in the parking lot.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:57 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
long bed. shorties are worthless if you plan on using your truck

Old 03-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Strut61
Senior User
If pulling a 5er, then IMHO nothing but a long box will do. The slider hitches required for short beds are expensive and sort of a pain. The last thing you wanna do is send the corner of a 5er through your rear window, which can and does happen!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:07 PM
SpeedE55
Senior User
Keep in mind my 08 F450 long has a turning radius that is GREATLY improved over my 06 short. It makes handling a long bed way easier thank in previous models. I've already gotten out of tight spots, still not realizing how easy it would be with the new front end. It's amazing how these huge trucks are maneuvering.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a short bed, and don't pull a fiver. I really like the short box. Guthrie&co's blanket statement is worthless, much more so than a 6.75' bed . A short bed pickup works really well for a lot of things; however, in your situation and for what you're saying you want to do, I'd get an 8'.

A 6.75' bed will haul more than the vehicle's payload (of dirt/gravel for example), but for pulling a fiver the extra space is better. Accidents happen with the longer bed too, but less often and there is more room for error. The downside of the longer bed is driveability (parking for example), but honestly, that's not too much of a downside in my opinion.

My mother doesn't like driving a long bed, neither does my wife, neither does a good friend of mine's wife. There may be a pattern there

If SpeedE55's experience is indicative of most others, I'd say the 8' will definitely be better for you.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:19 PM
jaybird
Senior User
Just need to elaborate abit more I think on my last post.
A fiver needs more cab to fifth wheel hitch space between than a gooseneck would.Now I'm speaking on the majorities here.
If I were towing a 24ft open trailer gooseneck then personally I would prefer the short box.Why?Because you can actually manuever an open trailer gooseneck easier/tighter than a long box.
With a fifth wheel most all the time you have alot of over hang infront ahead of the fifth wheel.
I have a 40ft enclosed wells cargo fifth wheel and even with my long box I would hit my cab if it were not that I actually have a fifth wheel slider that gives me the clearance I need as to not damage/hit my cab when positioning my fifth wheel trailer.
The reason I still need the slider even with my longbox is because my fifth wheel trailer has a "nose cone"on the upper front of the trailer;its designed so that when traveling it's more aero than without it.
It would be like a tractor trailer towing a 48ft or 53 ft trailer without actually having that upper wind deflector above the tractor cab.
Most goosneck trailer have the ball on a post that is usually the furtherest forward item on the trailer so yes a short box would do be better for that specific setup but not so great for most fifth wheel setups..
I have a 24ft flatbed cornpro gooseneck that fits the bill better for a shortbox and if I ever just had a gooseneck only then I'd opt for a shortbox shorter turning radius when looking at overall length..

Last edited by jaybird; 03-02-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:42 AM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by guthrie&co
long bed. shorties are worthless if you plan on using your truck
that's a pretty dumb statement

Old 03-03-2007, 12:54 AM
hosemandc
Senior User
Will never own a truck with a short bed for hauling ever again. I always seemed to need a few more feet when I had a shortbed dodge. I always had to run tailgate down to fit plywood , 4-wheeler and everything else. Always had to worry about hitting the cab with a 5th wheel. If its for off roading get a shortbed. If it is for work and hauling get a long bed. I love my current long bed.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:34 AM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
I've owned 1 short bed in my life. That was enough, It will not happen again. Back in the early 80's I couldn't afford the extra $150.00 for the long bed. I own 4 long beds right now and I don't understand the mentality of owning a short bed for any reason!! I can hardly believe a Truck MFG. would even make a short bed. If anything I would want a 10 foot bed. I have 2 CC LBs and yes, I park out in the hinter lands and I take up 4 spaces. I walk the 1/8 mile to the store front. I need the exercise.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:19 AM
JMarkM
Freshman User
Just a note of thanks

Thanks for all the input...went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 08 CC KR LWB Dark Copper. Now what MOD to buy first? I guess thats a different thread!

Old 03-03-2007, 11:07 AM
wassabe
Senior User
Good choice. I think you"ll like the LWB. Sounds like a nice truck.

Search this Thread