New Jersey Chapter Join Chapter Leader: sddesigns

Emmisions Laws

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:13 AM
JoeBlow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emmisions Laws

I am moving to Bayonne NJ at the end of next month and I need to know whether or not I should bring my truck with me or not. I have a 1979 F100 and here in Virginia they are fairly strict about not messing with the cats. Some localities even have started testing at the pipe. . Luckily for me I have always been able to buy an inspection sticker and not worry about all of that hassle.

So my question is, how hard is it getting an inspection up there?

Thanks guys

Joe

Old 09-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to pass, it's not easy to "get" a sticker. They will put your truck on a dyno and test it at speed with a sniffer.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:38 PM
DVLSH1
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have to go with what ken said myself, bein that this new F-150 will be the first vehicle I'll have registered in New Jersey. My ranger was registered in Cali and never required any inspection while there and then Louisianna in which all guy did was look at vehicle and say ok you pass.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:55 AM
iskybantilus
Elder User
dont forget, 1979 is exempt from new emiisions. it just has to pass the old idle check. so long as you get your timing and mixture settings right at idle, it shoudl go striaght through. cats on them trucks didnt do to much anyhow. if you are in good tune, i dont think you'll have a problem. just make sure they dont put it on the dyno, they tried doign that to my brothers 78 .... they cant ...

Old 09-23-2004, 03:03 PM
JoeBlow
Senior User
Thanks alot for the information. Can you expalin the idle check to me? I have never heard of it. My truck has full length tube headers and dual 2.5" exaust. If I have to, I'll just keep my VA tags and registration on it until I have to renew next March.

Thanks for ya'lls time

Last edited by JoeBlow; 09-23-2004 at 03:04 PM. Reason: poor spelling
Old 09-23-2004, 04:44 PM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
I just got inspected the other day...here's the process.

Pull in and get out, they take over from here. They pull up and check the brakes, it's some kind of computer thing on the ground, I guess it measures friction of the tires on a tread on the ground. They check lights, horn, etc. They then take a tube, and with your car running, insert it into your exhaust pipe...this is the idle check. They also put something on your gas cap and check that, not quite sure. I know I'm not 100% on this, but its a start and something for someone else to go on if they want to clarify. Good luck, Jersey's tough.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:49 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
79 is exempt from emissions testing in NJ, because its 25 years or older. They determine this by the year on the registration, and the date code on your door, or pillar to get the month. They can be sticklers about this.

They check all the lighting, blinkers, reverse lights, horn, wipers, parking brake, then do the full break test which is a large metal "tray" that has four long wheel pads that they hammer the brakes on, trying to capture the deceleration of each wheel, which will not only indicate whether your brakes are good, but also the balance front to rear, left to right. If you fail this test, you'll know instantly which wheel is not biting, or locking too early, as well as the brake bias front to back.

Passing an idle test is easy, its a matter of making sure its not running to rich, thus blowing gas out the pipe, or too lean, whereas you're getting too much EGT, and you should pass.

If your truck was manufacturered with a cat, make sure its on and working, and you'll pass the idle test no problem unless your carb is sooooo far off the truck doesn't run too well.

Another option is to take it to a private, NJ Inspection Center, rather than to the state run facilities. These are private service stations who do repairs as well as the inspection. It costs more than going through the state facility (my shop charges $85 for inspection, including all the paperwork) but they are often more tolerant, to a degree.

While NJ is a stickler for emissions, I've easily gotten supercharged and twin-turbo vehicles through no problem. It's all in the tuning.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:56 PM
JoeBlow
Senior User
85 dollars?!?!?!?! jeezus christ. lol

round here it is only 10. I think i will keep my Virginia tags on it for a while until I have to get rid of them.

Thanks guys

Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Its $85ish if you go with a private inspection station, i.e. a service station. Its about $10-$20 at the state facility, and if you fail, you pay it again until you pass.

All my vehicles but my truck go through the state inspection facility, and my truck because it's "special" goes through the private service station for inspection.

This is because its a 93, and has absolutely no emissions stuff attached to it at the moment. This will change with when I do the engine swap. I just refuse to replace all these parts on a motor that I'm taking out in a month or two.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:29 AM
iskybantilus
Elder User
its free at a state facilty, you just pay for registration costs and what now.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:37 AM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
I've never paid anything at the state inspection station, but I've paid 40 bucks to get my Monte and my bros pick-up privately inspected. The Monte is a 70, so certain things don't apply, but Jimmy's pick-up is a 90 with absolutely NO emmissions, but a sticker still.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:56 AM
JoeBlow
Senior User
Thanks for the insight guys. I didnt think that people in Jersey were so helpful. The only ones i have met were.... well lets say they weren't.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:55 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
aaah, okay, registration costs. I guess thats what I remember. I thought it was inspection. Sorry 'bout that.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:17 PM
kevincw
Posting Guru
Forget about the emissions, it's the insurance you have to worry about. Leave it registered at your current address until you can get your QQ (antique) plates. Then no more inspections.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 PM
ACarbone624
Senior User
Thumbs up

Usually around here in south jersey if you fail inspection, all you have to do is take it to a private inspection facility and for about $100 they "fix" it and make it pass and you get a good sticker for 2 years. I had a 1979 Camaro that would fail horibbly and i took it to my mechanic...$100 later after they "fixed" it, I had a valid sticker for 2 years.

Quick Reply: Emmisions Laws