6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New Cat on the 08's

Old 02-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Rowdyone
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Cat on the 08's

I recently took a job delivering parts for a company that is a hotshots service that take parts to such places and the Ford, Chevy, Dodge and other places as well, like auto body... My route runs 5 days a week, sometimes 6 and is between 400 and 600 miles everyday I run the route.

I pull a enclosed 27 foot gooseneck trailer everywhere to haul the parts in and while doing this with my trusty 95' PSD F350 that I have owned since I special ordered it in 94'... Its been the best truck I have ever had and its still doing well with the exception of the new water pump I had to put on her about a month ago now LOL...

I have been looking at the new 08' SD with more than real interest and guess I have seen just about every new 08 that has hit all the dealers lots that I call on LOL... Follow things here on these as well.

With all the hype on these new trucks and all from the new looks, new motor, as well as the price as compaired to the last new truck I ordered, I have been trolling around this new particulate filter they are using for the new style CAT Converter.

These things are not going to be cheap in any sense of the way either from what I gather. They may have been discussed here already, not sure; just know what I found out just today on them and thought I might share.

They were designed to be ran on an average of 75,000 miles before they will need to be serviced. Some will not need it this soon if they use the fuel additive such as the power service product.

Anyway the shorter version of my take on this filter media is that once it gets full and the cleaning cycle doesn't work so well anymore we will get a light and the sucker will need to be cleaned or replaced. I was told they can be cleaned once only, after that they will have to be replaced.

They will be cooked out in a kiln oven of sorts at a very hot temp of like 1800 degree's. To replace one you will find the MSRP of 1800 dollars and change, from what I was shown. I didn't think this was such a deal either LOL...

I figure there to be a new second hand market for these when some of these are ripped off trucks in the lots and sold with this kind of money to replace, as well as the market to just take them off all together LOL...

My take on what I have been told, read about and or over heard about all the new jazz with Ford and International with the dispute and all is just this, JIMO... I think its all smoke and mirrors to keep the media and the general public's eye off the real issue... Which to me is the poor fuel mileage. Its not a real big secret that Ford for quite some time now has been poor in the fuel mileage of many of their vehicles.

The wife has a newer Expedition with the 5.4 and while its a really nice vehicle and all, the level of performance and the fuel mileage of it with the level of technology under the hood of it, just sucks... Again JMO

My 95 PSD while no where the level of power or technology of the new 6.4, will match or beat the fuel mileage and I find that to be unexceptible for the level of technology...

Now before any of you even start to think and wonder what I am going to buy and be driving next, my butt has only felt right in a Ford for more than 20 years now and I don't expect to do anything else.

I do think its long over due for the SD's and what they cost now that we should be able to just order the truck as we want it, as well as get the motor of choice as well as the tranny of choice we want or can afford.

I would place an order for a white KR F350 SRW short bed 4X4 with the 6 speed allison tranny and the Cat. Diesel LOL... I guess the closest you get to this would be the Extreme F650's...

Guess I will just hang on to my ol'e 95 PSD a little longer, just sure have been wanting a Superduty for some time now since I live in my truck much of the time now during the week LOL...

Old 02-27-2007, 07:02 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Hadn't thought about the value of the particular filter on the open market. One guy with a sharp blade on an 18 volt reciprocating saw can probably remove one in a minute. If you look at it the other way around, we all ought to get a new one on eBay for about $100 bucks!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was an article on TV the other day about cat's on cars being stolen for the metals inside.

How low do these filters hang? I don't think I would want to be hunting or fishing in a dry field when it decides to clean itself.

Search this Thread