Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
I have added this link to the main tech sticky at the top of the forum for all to find.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be teh same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilage to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:55 AM

captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOS
Does the 2004 5R55E have this issue?

I ask because FORD recently rebuilt my tranny (see above post) but I don't know if they used any "upgraded" parts, if applicable.

Thanks for any info.

CMOS
from what we see comeing into the shop.yes the 5r55e dose have the gasket problem while the s and w do not suffer from this. they suffer from poped and broken snap rings on the clutch packs when line pressure is turned up to high for very firm shifts.
as ford boy states we do also see the solinode stick from which it is still easier to do with the v.b off the vehicle and on a bench at the same time doing a full upgrade/rebuild of the valve body
Old 03-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Posting Guru

CMOS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captchas
from what we see comeing into the shop.yes the 5r55e dose have the gasket problem while the s and w do not suffer from this. they suffer from poped and broken snap rings on the clutch packs when line pressure is turned up to high for very firm shifts.
as ford boy states we do also see the solinode stick from which it is still easier to do with the v.b off the vehicle and on a bench at the same time doing a full upgrade/rebuild of the valve body

cap,

Is there a way I can tell, based on what parts were replaced, if the upgrade was done?

CMOS

"Faith in Government defies both history and reason."
Old 03-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOS
cap,

Is there a way I can tell, based on what parts were replaced, if the upgrade was done?

CMOS
A competent rebuild will normally include important upgrades and improved parts as a matter of course. Odds are your tranny has the upgrade(s).

P.S. Matt, nice job on the tech article.

Last edited by Rockledge; 03-07-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Post Fiend

fordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to behold
thanks, i really want to reach as many people as possible because god knows ford wants to put a new tranny in the trucks instead of fixing the problem

Matt
Old 03-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Senior User

linkinluver07 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ok i need a little happy.. sold finally sold my 86 Chebby and thinkino about purchasing a 1998 Ranger from my boss.good little truck i haven't been out to see what "exactly" is wrong with it but from what he described to me it doens't shift.now i dont know if that means not at all or at extremly high RPM's I'll let you know on that Sunday when i go to look at it. ( i need something good on gas and a daily-driver). they just towed it over there and parked and its been sitting for a year.. so you guys got any ideas any help would be nice. and like a said I will give more Information as It becomes avaliable to me!

WARNING: For all you "Foreign'' car lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lariat79sc
This is "FORD" truck enthusiasts. You fellas that want to defend asian crap, don't let the door hit you on the way out! Please turn over your keys to someone that still has some American Pride.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:51 PM
New User

silverbullet is starting off with a positive reputation.
Its a 99 mazda b3000 and it started a month ago..so i changed the tranny fluid and filter and it went away..until about 3 days ago..so i brought it in and they said that it was a speed sensor..so they replaced it and it worked fine again but tonite it started to shift hard again....it only does this when i am coming to a stop between 1st and 2nd..and sometimes when i do stop and i begin to leave it seems that it is still in 2nd..so it moves slowly but with alot of revs...then it seems to sense this problem and shifts down hard to catch up..but this happens rarely..the main problem is the hard shifting when comin to a stop..any ideas..thanks
Old 03-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Post Fiend

fordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to behold
sounds like both of you have bad valve body gaskets... look for that link i posted earlier for a tutorial how to fix it

Matt
Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM
New User

eric5324 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey guys, my 5r55e with about 95,000 miles on it is slipping while in overdrive only at highway speeds. It shifts fine below 50 and with overdrive off. It's the worst when on highway around 65-70 but not as bad if i get the rpm's up going above 75. It will do it with overdrive off going 65 too so not just overdrive. running two quarts of lucas now. Sounds like it's not a valve body problem due to it happening at higher speeds. Just wondering what yall thought. thanks.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric5324
Hey guys, my 5r55e with about 95,000 miles on it is slipping while in overdrive only at highway speeds. It shifts fine below 50 and with overdrive off. It's the worst when on highway around 65-70 but not as bad if i get the rpm's up going above 75. It will do it with overdrive off going 65 too so not just overdrive. running two quarts of lucas now. Sounds like it's not a valve body problem due to it happening at higher speeds. Just wondering what yall thought. thanks.
When is the last time the tranny has been flushed and refilled with fresh ATF?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:08 PM
New User

eric5324 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i've done it probably three times with mercon v in the last year since i've started having problems so should be all new fluid by now
Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Senior User

gearheadz80 is starting off with a positive reputation.
should these updates be done before before any shift concerns arise. Or just wait until shift problems start. In other words could this be preventative maintnence andmake it last longer.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Senior User

Marty86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 99 Ranger, with 73k on it, Owner has never changed the fluid, should I go ahead and change it, and hope it won't create the problem you list here?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Post Fiend

do you have manual first engine braking?

Matt
Old 03-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Senior User

Marty86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Manual first engine braking? I don't understand what you mean....
Old 03-13-2007, 02:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
5r55, 5r55e, 97, bands, ford, mazda, problems, ranger, replacement, reverse, shift, solenoid, tightening, transmission, truck