5R55S Service Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:21 PM
wm_sorg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5R55S Service Help Needed

Hi Guys,

I am going to replace the valve body and solenoid packs on my 03 explorer. I found the drain plug. Where is the fill plug? Is there a written procedure on the forum I did a search and could not find one.

I am attempring to correct my TC failing to lock. Trans shifts smooth and does not slip. No TC shudder of noises either. Flashing light and poor mileage is the only indicator I am seeing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BILL

Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Scan your codes first.....

Anything else is likely to waste your money.

Steve

Old 02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
wm_sorg
New User
Had the dealer do it. They said the converter and trans are bad. I am not buying thrir BS. They basically said they would have to replace the valve body soleniods and converter. I think the converter is fine. It has never shuddered vibrated or made any noise. I believe it is not being commended to lock up. The quote was 2900 to do the service or 3200 to replace. I am thinking it's worth a $500 dollar risk at this point.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 5R55S is the same or very similar to the trannies in the Lincoln LS series. THis tranny is a bit of a problem tranny. there are TSBs out to correct things like harsh shifting, delayed shifting etc.

Usual repairs include valve bodies, solenoids, fluid additive and even minor rebuilds. Usually handled under warranty or customer satisfaction programs.

There is not a real fill port like we are used to. There are two that can be used. There is a plug on the side of the tail of the tranny. That is a fill port and can be filled with one of those hand fluid pumps with a long hose.

The other port is really more of a "level checker" It looks like a drain plug on the bottom of the pan but it isn't. It has a tube from the plug hole up to the level where the fluid is "full". When you fill thru the other port, and the fluid starts to dribble out of the "drain" you are full. Personally I don't care for trannies that are not easily user servicable, but I guess that is the way of things.

Not sure why your TC isn't locking. If you have a tranny flashing light you need someone to pull codes. I believe you will need a tester that has Ford specific codes.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
wm_sorg
New User
Thanks Jim,

Unfortunately the vehicle is out of warranty so I am not sure I will get help from Ford. Which side of the tail is th plug on? Thanks again for the great information.

BILL

Old 02-27-2007, 04:32 PM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
does your cruise control work.the cruise control deactivation switch out on your master cylinder if not working properly will not allow your tc to lock up because it thinks you are applying the brake.disconnect the connecter and stick a ohm meter on the 2 terminals and see if you have continuity,then have someone press on the brakes.if nothing changes replace the deactivation switsh befor doing anything with the trans.this is where i would start.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
wm_sorg
New User
Thanks for the information. I took it out and tested the CC and it worked flawlessly. Applying brakes shut it off. Interestingly enought the o/d light did not flash. I did not get a chance to go above 60mph though. I decided to use the o/d switch to see if the tc was locking and as soon as I shut the o/d off my check trans indicator went off. I did not retest the cc after the check trans lit up.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:48 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-02-2007, 03:05 PM
wm_sorg
New User
Thanks for the link. Incidentally, I drove the car about 50 miles yesterday and no O/D light and TC locked up. I ordered a new valve body, filter and solenoid pack. Will keep you guys updated with results.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
dont buy a whole new valve body, just update the old one. it will save you alot of money!

Matt

Old 03-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you know what the codes were that the dealer pulled? Lots of things can prevent the converter from locking. A bad brake switch, the TPS, coolant temp sensor, even a bad O2.

I should note that just because the TC didn't shudder or make noise doesn't mean it didn't fail. Its very common for these converters to slip and burn the clutch up. Its also common for the torque converter to slip (and burn up the clutch) because of a problem with the pump in the transmission. The pump supplies the charge to the TC to apply the clutch.

I should also note that changing valve bodies isn't the easiest thing to do. Be sure you get the checkball locations correct and torque it properly. It requires an inch/lbs torque wrench.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
all of the above mentioned info is in my tech article. follow the link i posted above

Matt

Old 03-03-2007, 09:13 AM
wm_sorg
New User
They did not give me the codes. I will try to call and ask for them. They said the trans needs to be overhauled. I am going to replace the parts on risk. The car has been performing flawlessly the past few days.

From what I gather the check ***** reside under the seperator plate when worm grroves face up?

Lastly, is the tc commanded to lock by solenoid (via PCM) regulating fluid pressure to it?

Originally Posted by Clubwagon
Do you know what the codes were that the dealer pulled? Lots of things can prevent the converter from locking. A bad brake switch, the TPS, coolant temp sensor, even a bad O2.

I should note that just because the TC didn't shudder or make noise doesn't mean it didn't fail. Its very common for these converters to slip and burn the clutch up. Its also common for the torque converter to slip (and burn up the clutch) because of a problem with the pump in the transmission. The pump supplies the charge to the TC to apply the clutch.

I should also note that changing valve bodies isn't the easiest thing to do. Be sure you get the checkball locations correct and torque it properly. It requires an inch/lbs torque wrench.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 03-03-2007, 09:14 AM
wm_sorg
New User
I thought that update only applied prior to 02?

Originally Posted by fordboy_52
dont buy a whole new valve body, just update the old one. it will save you alot of money!

Matt

Old 03-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wm_sorg

From what I gather the check ***** reside under the seperator plate when worm grroves face up?

Lastly, is the tc commanded to lock by solenoid (via PCM) regulating fluid pressure to it?
I would advise against replacing anything until you know what the codes are. You could be spending a lot of time and money because of a bad brake switch.

If I remember correctly, the check ball go under the plate. On some transmissions they are on both sides.

On the 5R55E the TC clutch is commanded by the PCM, actuated by a solenoid and applied via fluid pressure from the pump.

If the transmission is working normally now, you REALLY need to know the codes. The dealer should have listed the codes on your paperwork when you paid for the diagnostics.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT