Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Posting Guru

jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.
Sitting that long, the pump is probably toast, and if there is any gas left in the tank it is "sour." jd
Old 03-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you use a jumper wire in the ECM test port, it will energize the fuel pump. I'd check the relay near the ECM in the pass side kick panel, and check the rollover(?) switch on the inside firewall near the heater on the passenger side. Either the switch or the relay can cut power to the pump. Check fuses also. The tank is pretty well sealed up, so you would not have a lot of fuel evaporating, so there should be no damage to the pump, IMO.
tom
Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Posting Guru

jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw
The tank is pretty well sealed up, so you would not have a lot of fuel evaporating, so there should be no damage to the pump, IMO.
tom
Wanna bet????

And, btooling, you don't have to take the bed off, just raise it up. jd

Last edited by jimdandy; 03-01-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:49 AM
New User

btooling is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great suggestions from all of you!!
will probably be sat. before I can get to it. I will try the tips before I start removing the hard stuff.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
New User

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!
Gave it a shot of starting fluid and it started up perfect. No pressure on the fuel rail. Gas is sour/flat, nasty, needs cleaning and the fuel pump replaced,
Thanks guys for all your help, will let you know when I am back on the road.

btooing
Old 03-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Elder User

BSmitty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great to hear, a fuel pump job isn't all that bad. A bit of advice, the crusty fuel may have also caused your injectors to stick, so clean them if you have a chance before you try to crank it up with new fuel and pump, or it may still be a dry run. I fought them for a long time when I finally got my '85 back together (it was in pieces for 3 years)!
'07 Expedition Limited, black with black leather interior, wife's ride
Old 03-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
I can buy the gas being bad, but you still don't know if it is the pump or the relay or the cutoff switch... unless the pump ran while you were fiddlin' around. Did the pump run enough to pump the gas? Or was it just residual odor when you pushed on the schrader?
Some have two pumps. One in the tank and one on the frame rail about under the brake pedal.(has a piece of thick steel bolted around it for protection) Heck, I could not even get a filter for mine at Advance, much less the right fuel pump. They gave me something that looked like it belonged on a Pinto...
tom
Old 03-09-2007, 08:27 PM
New User

THE 89 RANGER LIVES AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the input. I installed a new fuel pump last night, shewwww what a pain in the old, well you know. After I put on a new exhaust manifold I think she will be road ready again..

Again thanks, I couldnt have done it without the fourm.
Btooling
Old 03-31-2014, 10:36 AM
New User

Danny Watson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking 4 advice on a 89 Ranger 2.3 Liter. It jumped time and has been corrected now. It starts, idles, and runs great when engine is cold. After it warms up it runs like crap at low rpms and wants to die. It has new computer, new coil packs, new crankshaft sensor, new plugs and wires, and new ICM. All new parts pass all tests and therefore have already been ruled out at this point. Any suggestions?????
Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Postmaster

Pickupmanx2 is a name known to allPickupmanx2 is a name known to allPickupmanx2 is a name known to allPickupmanx2 is a name known to allPickupmanx2 is a name known to allPickupmanx2 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by btooling View Post
THE 89 RANGER LIVES AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the input. I installed a new fuel pump last night, shewwww what a pain in the old, well you know. After I put on a new exhaust manifold I think she will be road ready again..

Again thanks, I couldnt have done it without the fourm.
Btooling
COOL!!! Glad you got it going!! Always feels good!
77/F150/SB/4x/NP435
66/F100/240/T18
63/F250/Flatbed/4x4/T-18
Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 AM