Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Harley davidson Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:43 PM
MikeMM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Harley davidson Transmission

Hey Guys,
I'm not sure if I'm on the right page but I need help with a tranny question.
I just had my 4R100 rebuilt and I'm having a problem with the overdrive.
The on / off indicator on the shift lever will light up on it's own and intermittently. The shift doesn't seem to be smooth.
Is this the overdrive or maybe a computer problem?
Thanks, Mike

Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 PM
LEVEL10
Senior User
check for faults first. the blinking od light means you have a transmission problem and thats how it informs you .

when the trans was installed .was the oil cooler fushed out? did you reuse the old torque convertor. if either you forced the old bad fileings right back into the pump and valve body causeing problems right way.

did you carefully drive the truck letting it shift easily though all the gears about 20 times, at part throtle the same amount. then full throttle the same amount.so that the computer relearns the trans. if you put it in and got right into it you again caused your self some problems,these new tranies take time to relean just like when a programer is pulled into the truck.

get the trans and engine codes pulled and give us a call, we are very glad to help out.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:17 AM
MikeMM
New User
Thanks for the info,
I drove it slow for a day (80miles) then tried it to see how it ran. We also installed a 2600rpm torque converter and it seemed to run fine for a week.
It's a wierd problem because it doesn't do it all the time.
I unplugged the battery for 15 minutes to reset the computer then installed the new performance code and it's run for two days without a problem.
It seems to want to have the problem between 2nd and 3rd. I keep reading about some shift module from Sonnax that is supposed to be a cure for this.
The only code we got was for being hot (transmission) when the light was flashing.
thanks, Mike

Old 02-26-2007, 06:31 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
I would take it back, somethings not right!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 PM
LEVEL10
Senior User
. i'm very glad to hear some one had the forthought to let the pcm relearn before putting a lead foot on the go pedal.

but i still ask did you have the trans cooler flushed out and did you use a new or rebuilt converter?

for a lock up converter 2600 rpm is way to high, what we have found is if we reset a converter more then 200rpm over stock . they start throwing lock up codes and acting pretty much as you feel.

i would have to look up the stock stall speed but think more in the area of 1400 to 1600 would have been much better for street performance. again stock plus 200=?? but no where near 2600. man thats a all out race converter not a street one.

if you plan on raceing i would have sold you a billet houseing stock plus 200 rpm. the billet houseing converter weighs in at 68 pounds and that alone would help spin the harley up much better. and not have any of the 6 welded lugs break off the houseing. [ harley.lightening and psd use a 6 bolt converer stock while a stock 5.4 uses a 4 bolt" our houseings can be used both ways.]

yes sonex has repair and up dates for the 4r100 valve body that help out a very lot. we always use them on all valve body rebuilds we do even for a HP vb.

only one problem if you need to ream the bore out the special reamers are very costly. if you can get them "the sonex kits" your self give them a good try or go back to where you had it freshened up and ask them to do all the sonex updates which i think you will enjoy the much better shifting of..