1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F1 Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:00 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1951 F1 Road Test

I got my truck out for the first time since I bought it yesterday. It ran very good and I was very happy with it. It was the first time in 10 yrs of driving something old like that on the road that was my own. I put 35 miles on it and it ran great. Oil pressure stayed good the whole time and the temp stayed at 150 to 160. I didn't push the truck on the road but 50 to 55 the 239 sounded tight. I had alot of people tailgating me and alot going around me but I didn't care b/c I was in my own little world. I guess if I want more speed I'll have to change the rear end out if I want to run 60 to 65 on the road, but my town the speed limit is 45 to 55 so those people will have to get over it. Just want to think all you guys on here for helping out with getting my truck running. Many thanks to you guys. I'm sure I need more help to come. Thanks Scott

Old 02-25-2007, 01:01 PM
48' fordster
Elder User
Congrats!!! It must have been great to get the old truck on the road!!! can't wait to get mine on the road

Old 02-25-2007, 01:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
That's great! How about some "Bobby" pix of you smokin' the skins?! Just kidding, don't want to break anything.

Check out 4tL8Ford's thread on Dana rear ends, there appears to be a piece of good news in there for us Bonus Built guys who need a lower-number rear axle. Not sure I want to go much more than 55 anyway, but why spin it that tight?

Old 02-25-2007, 01:40 PM
ashlandcat
Freshman User
51 road test

congrats...glad its running great.....my impatience is why i changed mine over to the 350sbc etc....
when you start tweaking the rear, you'll need to do some other tweaking also.. little flathead low on torque, so needs the gearing to keep it torqued up.....you know the rear end out of almost all ford pickups up until about 72
fit right in place and you get the different gearing....few things you can do to help it are , port,polish and relieve it,two exhaust....these are a few cheapies you and your dad an do....tks,ashlandcat

Old 02-25-2007, 02:12 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Looks good, glad to see some one has their truck running. I'm not too far away.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:46 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Wow, I'm glad to hear that you were able to make a inaugural trip. I'll bet your cheeks are starting to ache from the perpetual grin huh?

My gears are a little "tall" also and I top out at about 55 or so (I can get there in a huge cloud of tire smoke though.....lol) I took a cruise in my truck today and it sure is fun just to kick around a bit isn't it?

A big round of frosty beverages is in order I think
Bobby

Old 02-25-2007, 06:27 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Congratualtions

I am always envious of someone that has reached the drive-it milestone !

Keep on truckin'

Tom

Old 02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats great news i bet you had a terrific feeling getting on the road and driving it after 10 years Congrats to you!...

Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Thanks for all the comments. I drove it today AGAIN and went to the gas station and when I came out there was a couple of guys around it looking at and and the cashier even said hold on I want to see it to. I was there about 30 to 45 mins. People asking questions about it. I popped the hold and there was a couple of guys in there late teens and asked me what kind of motor that was. I got a kick out of that. I told them a Flathead V8. They asked where are the heads at. And I had to go into a small detail about the flathead. They looked at me like it was some kind future motor in a old truck. They couldn't understand how it ran. Oh well I done my best, but I think they got the idea. I wanted to keep the flathead in my truck to be different and b/c there is no other sound like one. Well just the 2 days I had it out I got some very good responses from the truck. Alot of thumbs up to. It make all the work you put into something like this worth it. So for you guys that are getting your trucks ready for the road keep on working on it, b/c it is worth it. I'll post some pics ASAP. Again thanks for all the comments from you guys and I'm glad there is a forum like this to where you can come to and get some good info and comments like this. Thanks Scott

Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
That is awesome! The first drive is the best, but the attention lasts and lasts. It is so much fun to show up places in an old truck.

I wanted a modern drive train until I went to the supernats last year. The flat heads and Y-blocks are so rare and that alone makes them unique. I will stick with my Y-block.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Dustin, My buddy had a 96 ford f150 and he had a after market exhaust on it. I believe it was a flowmaster set up. The exhaust exited out in front of the rear tire. And it sounded good to. I'll make sure that is what he had on it but it had a great sound to it. The good part of it was the people beside you could here it real good and you could also her it from in the cab also, but it still wasn't to loud from it the cab. I'll find out what he had and get back with you on it. Scott

Old 02-25-2007, 10:47 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Brian_B, If I was you I would keep your Y Block to. There is nothing wrong with going to a modern motor but just like the Old trucks are getting harder to find the motor are to. If your Y Block runs good I would leave it in there. I like to see the older motrs still going with the truck. Great looking 56 by the way. Scott

Old 02-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
The old ones have a totally unique sound too. I was at the supernats when they were having the parade. I heard the most unique sound (even with my lousy hearing) and knew right away it was a Y-block with uncorked headers!!! That was awesome to hear. Then the old tractors came by with flat heads. SWEET!

No way can a modern engine match the sound...no matter what exhaust they have.

It is always cool to see someone one here take their first drive or tell an interesting story of what happened when they stop somewhere. I want the weather to settle down so I can fix mine again.

Yes mine starts and runs well. I have not checked the compression, but it does not smoke or anything. I plan on keeping the truck fairly stock, but add some safety stuff.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:13 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Your right about the sound. I'm going to go with a set of Smithy mufflers on mine. My da has a 55 ford fairlane victoria and it has the original 272 Y Block in it also. It came with dual exhaust from the factory. They are the old and big glass packs that came on them. That car sounds so good to me. And you talk about a smooth riding car. We took it out last year a couple of time and it just floats down the road at 65 with no problem at all. I told him when we go to the car show at Wheelersburg Ohio this year he is going to have to wait on me. 55 maybe 60 mph is all I want to push my truck at this point. With the original rearend the flathead sounds kind od tight. Its about a 40 mile drive from where I live so I will have to leave a few mins earlier than I do when we drive the wifes car. I don't know what kind of gear is in my dads fairlane but I would like to have it in my truck just to free the motor up some, not so much for the speed but just to take the tight sound out of the motor. I'll have to check b/c I don't know what gear is in my 51 but it has to be low. Scott

Old 02-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Mine is supposed to be a 3.73 (according the the VIN tag). I can run 60 with no problems. I can't hear well and I have no tach, so I never push it. Mine has a huge round muffler. Its a real old style whatever it is. To me it sounds ok...but could be better.

I have driven mine to work (100 miles round trip) and it did fine.