looking for a toyhauler....

Old 02-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Miller
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a toyhauler....

i am looking for a toyhauler in the 37-40ft. range. quality construstion is very important; i have looked at the keystone fuzion and the forest river salem sport, has anyone had any experience with these brands or models?? are there any other brands i should take a look at?

Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
There are quite a few brands of toyhauler. Gulfstream, keystone, K-Z, etc. Do a search on the internet, and you'll find a bunch of them.

You can PM me if you have a ton of questions.

Goodluck Toyman

Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 AM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Miller
i am looking for a toyhauler in the 37-40ft. range. quality construstion is very important; i have looked at the keystone fuzion and the forest river salem sport, has anyone had any experience with these brands or models?? are there any other brands i should take a look at?
Had a Fleetwood toybox and have an Alfa now . The Alfa is by far a better built toyhouse . They are more money than the rest but I believe you pay for what you get. I do know some guys that had the American Sport by Forest River and they had some problems with them but not sure other then listen to them complain about it.

If I was to buy another one it would be an Alfa Toyhouse hands down.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:11 PM
bneafus
Elder User
I've got a 37' Forst River. Very happy, no problems..

Old 02-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NOTE on ALFA...

Yes, I have seen a lot of warrantee work on them to get them right - but ALFA has (BAR NONE!) the longest manufacturers warrantee period I have seen.

FIVE YEARS!
Unextended, right out of the lot. An extended warrantee on an ALFA is plenty to get it right, and warrantee repairs are FREE!

That's a long time to milk a warrantee....

I tell every single new RV buyer to take out their rig, pick it to pieces, and make a list. Bring that list back to a well reputed dealer, and at the end of the process you have the best it can possibly be.

"NOTHING made by the hands of men is perfect, and I guarantee you an RV isn't. Not at first..."
J. F.

Last edited by Greywolf; 02-25-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:09 PM
bigskymt
Senior User
I've been looking too, I found this site that has a listing of all manufactures:

http://www.toyhaulermagazine.com/for...?showtopic=359

There are a lot of them, and some of the web sites are really poor but this will give you a good idea of whats out there. I really like the Weekend Warrior and I've seen Ragen's in person, they are very nice (both owned by same company)

Old 02-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Miller
Senior User
i think that the alfa is the best so far....most kw gen. largest holding tanks, and i really like the rear barn doors; hard to swallow the price tag though!!

Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
KZ Sportsters seem to be a solid trailer. I'm frankly concerned over the ALFA frames load-bearing ability. Cracks tend to appear where the bedroom extends over the pin box area. It seems as if the weight causes them to flex at that point and no stress relief joint is in place to prevent cracks from forming.

I have also seen several instances of exterior walls forming bulges where something is obviously going on with the frame flexing and the coaches being torsioned.

(I never promised not to talk about ALFA)

Last edited by Greywolf; 02-26-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Greywolf

(I never promised not to talk about ALFA)
That is what makes places like this nice. Good or Bad it's all good.

I wished someone would have told me how bad the Fleetwood was before I bought it.

Looking at the Alfa you can see it's built better than Fleetwood's and tows better . The Alfa weighs more but my mileage went up towing it.

One of the guys we race with traded his KZ Sportster on a Weekend Warrior. Said he had alot of problems that they couldn't (wouldn't) fix.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Miller
Senior User
i thought that fleetwood was one of the best but it seems the more people i ask the more bad things i hear about fleetwood, i have looked at weekend warriors; i was not very impressed.... any info good or bad about forest river or keystone?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 PM
bigskymt
Senior User
My brother in law has a forest river and likes it quite a bit. The walls were "vacuum treated" or something which means it's insulated really well. We took it deer hunting, the morning temperatures were in the mid 20's but the trailer stayed nice and warm, not sure what he had the thermostat set to but I know it wasn't set very high.

There is an rv show this weekend in my town that I may gi to. So far I've seen Jayco's and Ragens and the Ragens seemed to be a little better quality than the Jayco.

I've heard a few bad things already about Weekend Warriors on different posts so they may be getting bumped down on my list.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:39 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
I'm sure you been on e-bay but If you didn't see this yet check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alfa-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 02-28-2007, 05:56 PM
nvreloader
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toy Haulers

You might want to check out the Northwood Brand, after spending several months checking/looking at most of them, the Desert Fox series keeps coming out on top for me.

I will have a 24AS or 28KS before July this year, if I can figure out the tow specs on the 250/350 4x4 V-10 SC SRW models.

here is a site you can check on also: www.AFNash.com

nvreloader

Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was just gonna say add the Desert Fox to your list. I've been looking at Salem, Sandpiper and Rampage. One look at the Desert Fox 30-5J and I was sold. http://www.northwoodmfg.com/2007/Des...Floorplans.htm The 38-5U may be just what you want. The 30-5J has dual 10 pound propane tanks mounted on the side and dual slide out battery trays on the side so no leaning under the front to change tanks or batteries. The quality of the work was impressive.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Miller
Senior User
44,000 for a 4 year old 5er i dunno... thats sort of funny because the seller is just a few miles away from me... plus greywolf is talking about structure problems with alfa, alittle scary!

i was told that it is common to get a dealer to take 30% off the MSRP, anyone have any experience with this happening? because im getting closer to 10% off MSRP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: looking for a toyhauler....