2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 cam phaser

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
gemoz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, but I am going to let Ford figure it out. It is covered but it is just a huge inconvenience. It seems that the art of mechanicing is going and all the service technicians do plug your vehicle into a computer and do what it says. Somethings still have to be learned/done by ear/touch.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM
mzarzour
New User
I have a 2004 F-150 and this cam phaser issue has been aweful for me. The first sign for me was ticking then the vehicle wouldn't idle unless I disconnected one of the phaser sensors. The first dealership I took the vehicle into told me I needed a new engine $6000. The second said I need need the phasers replaced $1500. Before I could get the money rounded up the vehicle just died and would not start. A buddy and I pulled the valve covers (very hard) last weekend. When we pulled the left phaser out we found out the pin on the back of the phaser had sheared which I guess means the left side has jumped time. UGH!!! I guess I am going to pull the front timing cover and re-time and hope for the best.

Please feel free to comment on this. Does this mean I have to pull the head on that side?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 PM
SrMasterTech
Freshman User
5.4lit VCT Cam Phaser Video

Greetings everyone!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
The VCT Phaser replacement takes about 6 hours for an experienced tech. You must have the 2 special tools required to perform the job in that time, the valve spring compressor and the timing chain wedge. Without the tools, the front cover would have to come off. There is a procedure and it requires that the rockers be removed to keep the cam from rotating. <o></o>
Watch my video and you will get the idea!<o></o>
§ŕṂàşṫęřṪệčħ

<o>VCT Phaser video</o>
<o></o>

Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 AM
mzarzour
New User
Nice!!! Thanks for the video.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
jade.lusk
New User
Tick, Tick, Tick

CAM PHASERS! AAAHHHH!
My "04" F150 with 75,000 mi. does sound like a diesel. That is how I have been describing it to people. After reading all these forum posts I see that I am not the only one with this probliem. I am still unsure though if the noise is just annoying or will be harmful to my truck that could lead to permanent motor seizure. Yes noise does come from passenger side, but mechanic says noise goes away when engine is revved over a certain rpm. What should I do? Change cam phasers or leave it alone? Please help.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:53 AM
SrMasterTech
Freshman User
Replace the Phaser

Originally Posted by jade.lusk
CAM PHASERS! AAAHHHH!
My "04" F150 with 75,000 mi. does sound like a diesel. That is how I have been describing it to people. After reading all these forum posts I see that I am not the only one with this probliem. I am still unsure though if the noise is just annoying or will be harmful to my truck that could lead to permanent motor seizure. Yes noise does come from passenger side, but mechanic says noise goes away when engine is revved over a certain rpm. What should I do? Change cam phasers or leave it alone? Please help.

I recommend that you replace the Cam Phaser. I had a customer that declined to repair is rattling Phaser and about 7 months later, I was replaceing the engine because the Phaser came apart causing valve to pistion interface.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 PM
khackr
New User
I have the same engine and I believe my bank 2 sprocket is off one tooth, causing the engine to run rough and die- I can disconnect the cmp sensor and it runs fine- is there a way to tell if it is off like the mark between the 2 copper links?

Old 05-23-2010, 09:09 PM
SrMasterTech
Freshman User
Timing

Originally Posted by khackr
I have the same engine and I believe my bank 2 sprocket is off one tooth, causing the engine to run rough and die- I can disconnect the cmp sensor and it runs fine- is there a way to tell if it is off like the mark between the 2 copper links?

There is now way for you to tell by the plated links. The Cam Phasers have stuck before, but if it changes by unplugging, I would test the electronics to see the something in the computer or wiring in causing the concern.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
y-block head
New User
My noise is at start up not a idel, under load until you go under load 1/4 to 1/2 mile then it stops until the next restart not disel sound more like a tap or squeek on the passenger side

Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
y-block head
New User
this started on my 1999 at about 80,000 is this a cam phaser?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 PM
modularV8
New User
Originally Posted by y-block head
My noise is at start up not a idel, under load until you go under load 1/4 to 1/2 mile then it stops until the next restart not disel sound more like a tap or squeek on the passenger side
What you are describing is piston slap. The noise should be more pronounced on very cold days.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:05 AM
y-block head
New User
Thanks I have seen this in other threads, is there a cure other thank piston replacement

Old 06-12-2010, 05:25 PM
khackr
New User
Originally Posted by SrMasterTech
There is now way for you to tell by the plated links. The Cam Phasers have stuck before, but if it changes by unplugging, I would test the electronics to see the something in the computer or wiring in causing the concern.
I have checked and double checked the wiring- even took to a Ford dealer and they charged 3 hours and verified the wiring. I even bought another PCM and programmed it, didnt change anything. The dealer said when the cmp sensor is plugged in the VCT PID readings are erratic and at 695 degrees- they dont have an answer either other than tearing down the front and removing the valve journals and cleaning them while inspecting the timing components- Eastimated $1000 plus to do that.

I am stumped.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
kylerf150
New User
i have to replace the phasers on my dads 05 screw he has drove it around for about month with it running like crap (not idling). this is how it started.He took it to tire rama in spokane to change the oil he has been running royal purple oil in since the day he bought it new. about 5 blocks down the road it started to run really rough so he took it back and they wouldn't do anything for him so he had to wait a week until he could have ford look at it.Ford said it was the phasers so i have been researching on how to fix these and have a few ????

1) with him driving it for so long im worried that the pin on the back of the phaser may have broke and i will have to take the front cover off. Is there a way to tell if the pin has broke other than taking it all apart (it runs fine at high rpms) if the pin is broke is there a way to realign the motor and and not have to remove the front cover?
2) Is there a aftermarket phaser to put on? i really dont want to install a oem phaser that will have the same problems that original one had.
3) if i do use a aftermarket lockout phaser do i have to use a chip?

any input would be awsome

ps i dont think this will be much fun my 7.3L dsl is not as complicated as this thing

Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Rudeman
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rudeman
I took my '05 in for a ticking noise and was told it was the phasers. Got them replaced (paid a $100 deductible) and the noise came back. Took it back in they've had it for two days; said they had a guy come in from Ford to look at it. Now they tell me it's the lash adjusters. And...since it is a different part/service they are charging me an Additional $100.

WTF!!

The service guy said that they must have backed off after I took it home. The noise was not there when I first fired it up but it got progressively louder and when I dropped it off it was as loud as when I took it in the first time.

Does this sound like a load of chit or what? I figure that as long as the covers are off and you're working on the engine because of valvetrain noise wouldn't you check the valve lash since the noise is nearly indistingushable from cam pahser noise?
Well the rest of the story...I was able to have the lash adjusters done w/o paying an additional deductible since it related back to the original complaint. They completed the adjustment and the noise returned. This last time they had it for three days, had another "Ford Guy" come in for a look and help w/ diagnosis. He/they determined that it was a solenoid that was in a constant state of cycling. According to what the dealership service dept said the solenoid controlled the oil flow in the phasers. They replaced it and the noise has been gone ever since. Thank God for extended warranties.

Quick Reply: 5.4 cam phaser