Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Cvan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck-Blown engine-Your thoughts please

I'm new here so Hello to all!
4.2 V6 5spd manual.
My neighbors have been driving a 97 f-150 XLT since it was new and now the engine gave up the ghost. It has 144,000 miles on it and the rest of the truck is in very nice condition. I figured for $500.00 it was worth sticking another engine in. Now to my questions. I feel after reading this forum that a used engine probably is not a good idea. Is a remanufactured engine a good option? Am I going to have to time the cam shaft sensor? Is this tool available thru a parts warehouse? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help!
Chris

Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 09-04-2007, 06:16 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
http://forums.treemedia.com/fb/showt...&page=29&pp=15
This is page 29 of a 4.2 thread if you haven't seen it yet. All the info made me wary of this engine.
I *think* that I got there from someplace on ford-trucks, but do not remember for sure.

I do not know if it is a good or bad engine today, but for sure you will get some responses.
Hope this is not too out of date... or just yammering...
tom

Last edited by tomw; 09-04-2007 at 06:21 AM. Reason: mumble mumble more stuff wrong page #
Old 09-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Cvan
Junior User
Good bad or otherwise,

Thanks B. O. F. for the suggestion. I'm looking into it. Do you have any experience with them?

It would seem that most if not all of the problems with the 4.2 originate with the gaskets. The fact that Ford chose to use the wrong materials is unfortunate. I'm wondering if this makes the rest of the engine bad? I doubt it. This particular engine had 144,000 miles on it. The owners had the heads rebuilt and shortly after is when the it lost 2 cylinders and started using a lot of oil. I haven't torn it down yet but from the way it is acting, it would seem a valve has hit a piston. At this point I'm not ready to point the finger at Ford. It will be interesting to see what I find when I get inside.
Take care!
Chris

Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Cvan, I pointed to that site just to add some weight to the idea that you do not want to buy a used engine... unless it is a super-bargain. Just too many things that 'may' have happened. Did it get oil changes?? Kept cool with anti-freeze? Can you afford to do it again timewise if the used one just doesn't work out?
IMO, they are good engines, but seem a little touchy to buy used. In short, rebuild your own, or get a rebuilt from someone you trust.
tom

Old 09-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Cvan
Junior User
Used engines, Not an option

Hi Tom:

The used engine option wasn't given much thought. I have had very poor results with them in the past. I appreciate your reply and mine wasn't directed at you personaly. It's just that so many people have suggested that the 4.2 is nothing but junk and in fact I find this hard to believe. I had to have the intake gaskt. replaced on my 2000 bonneville 3.8 and didn't think a thing about it. It was leaking water into the engine. People can't say enough good about that engine. Go figure.
Thanks again,
Chris

Old 09-05-2007, 05:38 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Exclamation

The lower intake gaskets were made with all the correct materials! The problem was they were too thin! As the cylinder head and intake heats and then cools down,this pulls on the rubber o-ring in the gasket,and after awhile it rips,then lets coolant pass into the cylinder/cylinders!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Cvan
Junior User
Ok I stand corrected. From now on it will be "Incorrect gasket design". There I go jumping to conclusions again. Thanks for the information. Do you know if the gasket sets that come with the Rhino engines are holding up?
Chris

Old 09-06-2007, 04:33 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cvan
Ok I stand corrected. From now on it will be "Incorrect gasket design". There I go jumping to conclusions again. Thanks for the information. Do you know if the gasket sets that come with the Rhino engines are holding up?
Chris
I use to rebuild small block Chevy engines for racing and for whoever paid me for one.I have done business with alot of machine shops in the past.About 2 years ago a friend with an E-150 van needed a 4.2 due to lower intake gasket failure.We ordered one from Rhino,and to this day still don't regret it!They are of high quality,very good machining process on them,and are better then a Ford remanufactured engine,IMO!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 AM
Cvan
Junior User
Talking The first time is fun

Thanks for the information. I also worked as a wrench jockey years ago. Then moved on to industrial refrigeration systems. Now I have this project and am looking forward to it. It will be fun the first time but I'm hoping that with some research I won't have to do it a second time.
Thanks again!
Chris

Old 09-06-2007, 07:49 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
When the FoMoCo engineers got into the O-ring gasket business, they must have skipped a lesson somewhere as the 4.0 had a similar problem with the upper and lower intake gaskets leaking air when cold and finally sealing up again when warm. Lots of driveability problems due to an engineering or design oversight.
Hope they have learned their lesson by now.
tom

Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Cvan
Junior User
Engine ordered

After much research and stewing I've decided to go with a Ford crate engine. Doing this once is one thing but if I have a warranty issue it is going to be covered by Ford. This has been a real learning experience and I don't want to go through it again. I appreciate all of your help and I will keep you posted as things develope. Thanks to a friend I was able to purchase this engine for the same price as the Rhino.
Chris

Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 PM
a40961
New User
It will be interesting to see how this all works out. I have ordered a rebuilt 4.2 v6 from Titan Engines. I was referred to them by another 4.2 v6 owner that also experienced the gasket leak / blown engine issue. I decided to go with Titan as they are nearby and have a great reputation in Florida. (And they were QUITE a bit cheaper than getting a Ford crate engine.) Have spent the last year researching New vs rebuilt, replacing the 4.2 with another engine, etc. It will be at least a month before my hubbie can replace my engine due to work schedules and the fact it is still MISERABLY hot here in SW Florida. I will keep everyone advised as to how things progress and ask you to do the same. Good luck to ALL of us!

Old 10-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Cvan
Junior User
a40961
I am also interested in seeing how this turns out. I just put the injector rail on last night and hope to have the engine back in the truck within a week. I only work on this as time allows. I plan on adding updates as I progress. I went with the Ford because I was able to get it at dealer cost and if this engine kicks the bucket Ford is going to do all the repairs. I hope.
Anyway, Good luck with your project!
Chris

Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Chris,
Please do keep us posted. I for one would like to know how this all works out for you.
Best of luck and hope it all goes well!

Quick Reply: New truck-Blown engine-Your thoughts please