2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Hesitation at WOT

Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Jimax
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Hesitation at WOT

Hi all, new to the site. Searched, but didn't see much.

I had the infamous IWE solenoid TSB performed on my truck (04 5.4L Lariat SuperCrew). It seemed to take care of the "ice in a blender" noise for the most part. However, between 3200 and 3600 RPM, I get a slight metallic grinding noise followed by a hesitation in that RPM range. It only happens if I'm cruising along and suddenly floor it to pass someone. If I ease on to the throttle and downshift using my foot by applying more and more throttle, the truck has no problems. It seems the sudden surge for power makes it hiccup.

It's at the dealer now. I thought that it might be left over water in the vacuum lines, but they said that wasn't it. They've pulled all the codes and there were none. There were no misfires. They've performed a power balance test and also found no issues. They've reflashed the PCM per another TSB that Ford put out. They've also cleaned out the throttle body.

The dealer is now stumped. They've kept the truck and are going to call Ford to see if they have any additional insight. Wondering if anyone here has heard of this or can offer any suggestions.

The truck has 84K miles, I bought it 3 weeks ago. I think the only thing the previous owner has done are brakes and oil changes. I've already replaced the fuel filter, air filter, oil/oil filter, and just had the transmission fluid flushed. Plugs are probably original and I will replace those soon.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:01 PM
joeypurcell
Senior User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope I am understanding your problem correctly. Seems to be a common drive-by-wire and factory tune issue. Mine did the same thing until I went with a tune. Most aftermarket tuners i.e. Bamachips, Troyer, Edge, Hypertech will fix your issue. Hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Jimax
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The common DBW problem is a hesitation at a certain RPM?

Actually, the dealer just called and said that the #8 coilpack was on its way out. They are going to see if that took care of the problem.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:35 PM
joeypurcell
Senior User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My original problem was when I would step on the gas while driving in any gear and went WOT it would feel like the engines was not getting air/fuel, then pick up a second later. Not every time though. My problem was in the stock tuning I would guess since the aftermarket tune fixed those issues.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
04's had an ECM reprogram TSB to help with the hesitiation, idling rough syndrome, and i think shifting of the trans.

Search this Thread