April Utah Trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:58 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
April Utah Trip

Hello the fire!

Looks like I'll be back out that way in April. I have this posted on my home chapter board and a few others. Thought I'd let you guys know about it.

Updated schedule for this trip:

I will camp at Comb Ridge near Bluff Utah Friday night April 13th.

Saturday April 14th we will attempt to get to San Juan Hill at the South end of Comb Ridge. The trail follows Comb Wash South off of Hwy 163 along the west side of Comb Ridge. Just have to see want the spring thaw does. If it has the wash filled with fast moving water we will have to save this for another time. After the attempt to go south we will go north to Sand Flats Rd. and then NW to Hwy 261. This is a approximation of the original Hole-In-The-Rock Rd. that went from Escalante to Bluff in the late 1870's. A quick trip back to near Bluff to retrieve a trailer and tow vehicle. Then back to 261 and on up and over to Halls Crossing where folks are spending the night. I will camp either in Halls Crossing at the campground or near the "The Fort" on HITR road.

Sunday April 15th we will go in the Hole-In-The-Rock Jeep trail. This follows some of the that 1870's road but much of the road was used in the 1940's and 50's for minning. Sunday night we will camp near Cottonwood Hill.

Monday April 16th we will drive out and some will go back to Halls Crossing to spend the night. I will camp some where.

Tuesday April 17th we will work out way over to Blanding. The 1870's road left the Hwy East of Clay Hills pass and we will drive that section. Some will spend Tuesday night in Blanding. I will camp west of Blanding.

Wednesday April 18th we will drive the Hotel Rock Trail west of Blanding. Some will return to Blanding to spend the night. I will camp some where.

Thursday April 19th we will go into Canyonlands Needles district west of Monticello and drive the Elephant Trail. Thursday night some will drive to Moab and spend the night. I will camp some where. Most likely south of Moab.

Friday April 20th we will drive Poison Spider trail outside of Moab.

Showers are available in Halls Crossing, Blanding, and Moab for those who want to camp.

I am up for going out early or staying out late. Let me know if there is something you want to do. I'd like to get to Green River and see what is going on at the old test site. Wouldn't mind going on west over to the Swell or Monument.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:34 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Chris from the BroncoII.org board has reservations in Bluff for Friday April 13th. I won't know if I'll camp for free with no facilities out at Comb or stay in a room in Bluff. Depends on the water level in Comb Wash. I have the phone number for Halls Crossing to reserve a campsite or moble home. Let me know if you need info to make reservations.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you guys are going to be having some fun!!!

I'm scheduled to be out of town during that time, or I would try to get down that way. If you end up needing a place to stay in Bluff, I can recommend the Desert Rose Inn. http://www.desertroseinn.com/

Great place to stay if needed. I have stayed there a few times. My father and I hit a horse one night 12 miles out of Bluff. The people there were super nice and helped us out more than we could have ever asked.

Hope you have a great time!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:14 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Thanks for the info Dave. I'll keep that in mind. I ate breakfast at a restaurant on the north/west side of 191 in the north part of town before. A real nice large clean place decorated like lodge listed above.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:32 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I know the place. It has a mini store in it also.

There is not many places to eat in Bluff....

Old 02-27-2007, 03:05 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Yup. A gift shop kind of thing if my rememberer is working.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:29 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Another updated schedule for this trip:

Friday afternoon April 13th we will attempt to get to San Juan Hill at the South end of Comb Ridge. The trail follows Comb Wash South off of Hwy 163 along the west side of Comb Ridge. Just have to see want the spring thaw does. If it has the wash filled with fast moving water we will have to save this for another time. Friday night I will most likely camp somewhere on the west side of Comb Ridge north of Hwy 163. Others have reservations in Bluff.

Saturday April 14th we will go north to Sand Flats Rd. and then NW to Hwy 261. This is a approximation of the original Hole-In-The-Rock Rd. that went from Escalante to Bluff in the late 1870's. A quick trip back to near Bluff to retrieve a trailer and tow vehicle. Then back to 261 and on up and over to Halls Crossing where folks are spending the night. I will camp either in Halls Crossing at the campground or near the "The Fort" on HITR road.

Sunday April 15th we will go in the Hole-In-The-Rock Jeep trail. This follows some of the that 1870's road but much of the road was used in the 1940's and 50's for minning. Sunday night we will camp near Cottonwood Hill.

Monday April 16th we will drive out and some will go back to Halls Crossing to spend the night. I will camp some where.

Tuesday April 17th we will work out way over to Blanding. The 1870's road left the Hwy East of Clay Hills pass and we will drive that section. Some will spend Tuesday night in Blanding. I will camp west of Blanding.

Wednesday April 18th we will drive the Hotel Rock Trail west of Blanding. Some will return to Blanding to spend the night. I will camp some where.

Thursday April 19th we will go into Canyonlands Needles district west of Monticello and drive the Elephant Hill Trail. Thursday night some will drive to Moab and spend the night. I will camp some where. Most likely south of Moab.

Friday April 20th we will drive Poison Spider trail outside of Moab.

Showers are available in Halls Crossing, Blanding, and Moab for those who want to camp.

I am up for going out early or staying out late. Let me know if there is something you want to do. I'd like to get to Green River and see what is going on at the old test site. Wouldn't mind going on west over to the Swell or Monument.