Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

You know You're from Colorado if......

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Rocky Mountain High. Been There. Done That. My Uni's there. Goinig back.
That splains the green and white plates! Give us a holler when you head down.

You Might Be From Colorado If:

You carry your $3,000 mountain bike on top of your $500 car.

You thought "Californication" would be banned by Amendment 2.

You cast out your fishing line while white-water rafting.

You've never seen the tourist attractions in your own city.

You think a pass does not involve a football or a woman.

Your SUV tire size exceeds your IQ.

You think gun control is not dropping it.

You've ever stood on solid ground and looked down on an airplane in flight.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:40 PM
FrontRangeF150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Those of you that no longer live here, I feel for you. I moved away for nearly 10 years (4 in the Marines and 6 in New Jersey, I HATE THAT STATE). I missed the veiw from the Front Range looking at Longs Peak. I would look west in Jersey and pretend that I could see the mountains, it help very little.

I was born and raised in Longmont and now I live there again, so to answer some questions about the Turkey Plant, it is now called ConAgra and the smell is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Some days you can smell it as you drive by but it is most of the time non exsistant. I have never forgotten that smell though, horrible!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:57 AM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Man that brings back a lot of memories, I use to live on baker & 5th st. just a couple of block north of the turkey plant, it was are playground. That was in the the mid 1960s (yah I'm gettin old )I went to colimbine elementary and longmont high, when it was a red brick square building. Is the old skating ring still on south main by the river? Thanks for the memories

Would ya mind if an old native, now in vegas, joined your chapter?

Old 03-17-2007, 12:11 AM
rikfish
Posting Guru
nubeee1, of course you are welcome! ! ! The intent of this thread was not to alienate anyone, just to find out how many of us are originally from Colorado. I started the thread, and I lived out of state for about 21 years ! ! This wasn't my choice mind you, Dad's job took us away. I moved from the Denver area when I was 5, moved back to Colorado when I got out of the service at the age of 26. I always swore I would move back here at the first opportunity, which I did. Never looked back, never regretted it either.

So, again, WELCOME to the forum ! ! !

Old 03-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by nubeee1
Would ya mind if an old native, now in vegas, joined your chapter?
Speaking for myself, it wouldn't be home if you didn't join. Welcome home!

Old 03-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Now that is just too funny Rick! A minute apart.

I wonder if we should start a picture thread for all our prodigal natives. Kind of a "what's it like now" thread.

Last edited by Hypoid; 03-17-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 AM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Thanks for the warm welcomes, I went though the channels by applying at join chapters. hope to see everybody on the boards soon!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 AM
FrontRangeF150
Junior User
I'm not sure where the skating ring on south main was. By the time I was old enough to skate, the only one in town was off of Ken Pratt and Sunset. I assume it would have been near Longmont Lanes Bowling Ally, which is gone, it's now doctors offices. there has been a lot of big changes in the past 10 years. They developed Pace to County Line Rd 1 From 66 to 9th. They put a Super Walmart on the North East Corner of Main and 66 and they are trying to build a second Super Walmart at the corner of County Line Rd 1 and 119 across from McClain's. Longmont Dairy closed their store on Main and 66 and moved it to the inside of the distribution center off of 10th and Coffman (Kind of by the old Safeway off of 9th, which happens to be a big liquor store now).

colimbine elementary is still there, longmont high moved and they turned the old building into Main Street Elementary, which is where I went 4th thru 6th grades, it's now a charter school.

One of the big changes for me is Pioneer Pies off of 21st and Main is gone. I worked there thru high school. They tore the builing down and are almost done with the bank they are putting in. I think it will be the 5th or 6th Horizon Bank in town now.

They turned the canery into apartments a while back. They are using the old Sugar mill for something but there are no signs or anything like that and they are all hush hush about it.

119 now splits at Fox Hill and the old road is now 3rd Ave all the way from Hover to Fox Hill and they built a bypass that goes on the opposite side of the water treatment facility and ends at Ken Pratt and Main. Shortly after calling it an express bypass, they put up about 4 lights and 3 shopping centers.

When I moved back, I could not believe how much it has changed.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:38 AM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Thumbs up

OMG!...... Sounds like i need to take a trip back just to see if 501 baker is still standing!!

Mom & dad bought a small farm (780 acres) north east of severance(Bruce's bar) off of RR29 and RR 72 in the 70's. spent quite a bit of time in Eaton Co. (about 5 mile away) There sill at it with all my sisters. I get up that way about twice a year! Thanks for all the info, I appreciate you taking the time. Need to take the new truck on a road trip soon!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:10 PM
bigolfordtruckgal
New User
I was born in New Castle, WYO, but the folks moved us to Longmont when I was 2 months old. Back then the population was around 8 thousand and Main Street was from 3rd to 17th Ave. Hover Road was where I would drag race my boyfriend's car while he was workin until somebody ratted me out. But when I turned 18 I was long gone from the armpit of God's creation. But its like quicksand, it just keeps pullin ya back in. And to me, it still ain't lost that stink!!. I better shut up before I get run out on a rail, AGAIN!!

Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
LMAO!!! So where "they" gonna send you, Commerce City?!?!?!?

Welcome aboard!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:07 PM
nubeee1
Postmaster
So.........I take it your back in longmount?...........

I went to High school there..........Long before you were there!!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 09:44 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Hypoid
LMAO!!! So where "they" gonna send you, Commerce City?!?!?!?
Hey, watch it fella ! ! ! Commerce (Town) City / Derby is my home town! ! ! My folks bought one of the first houses there after WWII. Note I included 'town' as we lived there before it achieved the big 'city' status. Lived about 3 blocks down the street from the old city hall/police station, had a hog farm a few blocks over from us too. I think the old man's name was Lundgren that owned the farm. Now an apartment complex. Fitting. Lived there before the dog track was built. Am I giving away my age now ? Moved out of there in 1959.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
1959...My recollection doesn't go back quite that far. Is that before the refineries were built?

So seeensitive! Glad I didn't make any remarks about P-U town. LOL

Old 05-05-2007, 10:13 AM
rikfish
Posting Guru
We had the refineries back then too. Overall, the town was a fairly decent place to live. Our house was actually a converted WWII barracks, placed on a crawl space foundation. The builder stuccoed the outside, and it was a really nice place for a starter house. One of the worst things we had out there was the Arsenal. Remember the fifties were not the most environmentally aware years! My dad was on the water board there, complained about the well water having a bad taste. Feds came out and placed a trap on our water into the house for a period of time. We never did hear the results! I suppose I could research it under the Freedom of Information Act, but I don't really have time. Be interesting to find out just what chemicals and how much we ingested.......... Might explain why I am what I am......

I used to think P-U Town was a baaaad place, but since moving here I have found it to be pretty good. Housing is cheaper here, for now at least, until the Ft. CArson influx hits. Housing prices have been increasing in P-U West at a igher rate than norm over the past few years. Town has a lot of things going on for entertainment if one looks. Summer months we have weekly 'block' parties in the Historic District. Good entertainment, mostly good food, and very few behavioral problems. And ya got to love the State Fair, with the entertainment like Wierd Al.....making his 10 millionth appearance here! Don't forget the Rocky Mtn Street Rod show with over 2000 rods each year, held at the fair grounds !

I was in Denver a few weeks ago, reminded me of why I don't miss it! Traffic sucks up the as well as in the Springs. I helped my niece and her husband to move from around 132nd and York (Thornton) to just across from Chatfield State Park. What a zoo........

Last edited by rikfish; 05-05-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: You know You're from Colorado if......