1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Getting power into the door for power windows

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I used the SS braid ducts autopower and other's sell. I put 2 in each door since I also have power door locks and will be adding door panel courtesy lights I wanted to be sure I had enough room for all the wires, those braids are not real large inside. There is a lot of bracing inside the doors for the hinges so I had to holesaw out some access holes to drill thru the bracing as well as access the nuts on the braid. The braid slides thru an aluminum thimble into the kick panel area of the door. There is only a slight sound as they slide thru.
Check my "making changes" gallery, the three pix starting with the pic of my brother Mike for pictures of my wire ducts.
AX do you experience any binding in the braids/springs when you open the door all the way before closing? I was told by some unremembered person that it happens with the spring type sometimes, and that you have to guide it in by hand partially to keep it from kinking. Are your braids different than the spring systems?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:59 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I put mine close to the inside edge to keep the operating arc as large as possible. I have opened the doors well > 100 times since I put them in without a single malfunction. The braids have a tubing core and are quite stiff, I doubt you could kink them.
They are not inexpensive but rate a highly recommended on the Chuck-o-meter.

Last edited by AXracer; 02-20-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:17 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I used the SS braid ducts autopower and other's sell. I put 2 in each door since I also have power door locks and will be adding door panel courtesy lights I wanted to be sure I had enough room for all the wires, those braids are not real large inside. There is a lot of bracing inside the doors for the hinges so I had to holesaw out some access holes to drill thru the bracing as well as access the nuts on the braid. The braid slides thru an aluminum thimble into the kick panel area of the door. There is only a slight sound as they slide thru.
Check my "making changes" gallery, the three pix starting with the pic of my brother Mike for pictures of my wire ducts.
AX,I am getting ready ( finally ) to do this. I bought the MF kit but they require 2 different size holes, so I bought the Autoloc set up. Can you give a a spot location or a pic of where you put yours. Mine require a 5/8" dia hole but I have not yet found a hole punch ( die) and the greenlee guys are gone. I may have to run down the Snap-on guy. I have stalled on this sine it appeared to me that they wond make a sharp enuf bend in the 56 door ..???
Thanks,
Jon

Old 12-08-2007, 09:50 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I used the autoloc ducts, I found them a bit small inside for all the wires I needed, so I put two in each door. The upper one is based on the original interior light switch hole, you can see the original hole just to the right of the VIN plate in the first pic in my "making changes" gallery. The second one can be seen in the first pic in my "console" gallery just below the VIN plate. Put them as far towards the interior side of the door you can for smooth operation. You can see both ducts installed on the pass side in the same pic. I Made the hole in the doorpost first, then transfered the location onto the door with a scribe inserted thru the kick panel area. I drilled mine with an Irwin Step bit in a right angle drill. Lacking a right angle drill I'd remove the door to drill it with the step bit. A step bit is the best thing for making truely round holes in sheet metal and a range of hole sizes can be made with the same bit. A twist drill will drill a ragged hole. The door switch hole is a little oversized and has notches so will need a little weld filling. After drilling I found there is a reinforcing plate inside the front of the door that also needs to be drilled for a grommet to pass the wires thru.
If you are putting the window switches in the door (mine will be in the console) and/or are not using remote door locks you probably won't need the second duct.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:56 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon I was trying to post a pic to Ax's gallery but I was too slow.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:21 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Thanks guys. If Tymnbux had Gracies console we would not be taking about this. Can't wait to see it finished. AX, this is a good chance for Gracie to become my desktop and we will send Waynes truck to screensaver status. I had thought about the lightswitch hole, but I guess the spot below the tag could work. I am looking at the "console" pic from the right side view and the lower conduit looks to be kinked with the door open, is it??
Thanks again to the both of you,

Sonwtimes the simplest things offer the most confusion and challenge..oh well.
Jon

Last edited by CIAF; 12-08-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Nope no kinks work real smooth.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:05 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
So let it be done. I will do as soon as I get a warm day. Thanks again.
Jon