Oil & Lubrication  

Do not use Quaker State oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Do not use Quaker State oil

I would never use Quaker State oil. Why? Their detergent package is weak, if they even have one. I am referring to their current dino oil, 5w30.

Just before the Holidays, I changed the oil in my mother-in-laws '97 Ford Thunderbird. 4.6 L. Oil prior to that, was very black and this engine has been neglected, OCI's. I used a Motorcraft FL820s oil filter.

Today, I saw my mother in law for the first time, and offered to check the oil for her. Popped the hood. Approx 1800 miles since mid December since I changed the oil. Looked on the dipstick, the oil still looks brand new and clean.

This tells me the oil is just circulating, but not cleaning the engine. I expected dark oil on the dipstick, from an oil with a great detergent package, doing it's job in an neglected engine,

I will not use Quaker State again. I like an oil that cleans as well as lubricates, ect. This is the QS oil in the green plastic quarts that says "Peak Performance".

Ed

Old 02-17-2007, 12:08 PM
motoman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont use or ever will but my buddys Toyota Previa van has 300K and run nothing but quacker state. Maybe she stopped filling up at midnight fuel depot?

Old 02-17-2007, 11:32 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with Maxlife

Old 02-18-2007, 11:06 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Pretty unlikely scenario to be as you have interpreted it.

Most likely, the old oil simply had already cleaned most of the crud out and was holding it in suspension at the oil change you performed and that there was little for the new oil to clean.

If you really want to find out what's in it, send some in for a VOA.

Steve

Old 02-18-2007, 11:11 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote pull a valve cover. Take pictures. That will tell the tale...

Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find this a little far fetched deduction. Just because the oil is still clean that doesn't necessarily mean it has a weak detergent package. I'd put in a bottle or two "snake oil" (MMO, Rislone, Valve Medic, Auto-RX) and if the oil changes color in a short time, that may indicate a a weak detergent.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:00 PM
bigun72
Posting Guru
thats why i use Havoline ......

Old 02-19-2007, 02:27 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
No seriously, the engine has been neglected. Running okay, but the oil cap had crud on it. (which I cleaned back in Dec. with some kerosene and an old toothbrush). Shining a bright light into the oil cap hole, I can see varnish deposits, ect. The old oil filter I took off was absolutely pitiful looking, and ten times worse than any oil filter I ever removed from one of my cars. It was "spent", a Carquest oil filter. Black, gunk, horrific condition, I would not use on a lawnmower. I am sure it had over 10,000+ miles on it, maybe more.

All I am saying, is I expected new oil to darken, at least a dark gold color, as it helps to clean up old deposits. I have experienced numerous times in my cars over the years, and from changing oil in family members and friend's vehicles.

For an oil to look nearly new, tells me it can't possibly be doing it's job the way it should. Yes you are correct, an oil analysis should do it, and if it was my car, I would. C'mon guys, it's my mother-in-law's car? Love the mom-in-law, but not $20 out of my pocket to do send it to the lab worth of "love" get the point?!! :>)

I'll probably change the oil again in her car when the time changes (daylight savings in early April) then I'll report back. Another thing is I very rarely have used Quaker State oil in the past, but this is what was purchased at wal-Mart for the oil change that time. 5w30, dino in the green plastic qt. containers with "Peak Performance" on it.

I would of liked to have used a quart of MMO or Rislone too, if I had some at the time.

Ed

Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 AM
motoman
Freshman User
It makes sense about it staying clean. I remember way back (1970?)my Pop complaning about some oil he bought on sale and put it in the 327 in our 62 chevy wagon, said damn stuff got dirty in a few days. I think he ran on Penzoil usually.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:27 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I was using QS until I had a flat tire.

Now that I quit using QS, I haven't had any more flats.

Can't get more scientific than that!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jschira
I was using QS until I had a flat tire.

Now that I quit using QS, I haven't had any more flats.

Can't get more scientific than that!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
So after 1800 miles the oil was still clean? I would say that's pretty good if you think recommended oil changes for dino oil is 3 to 5k. If the engine is still running with no knocks or anything I can't seem to find a problem with your post.

I've been using QS for years and never had a problem. Try a different oil and if it's dirty at 1800 miles that just means you have to change her oil more often....

Old 02-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Agreed, the oil should be changed more often. However, oil, with a good detergent package should turn dark within 1800 miles in a dirty engine. That tells me it's doing it's job, suspending dirt and varnish products. Oil that is new, but dark, can still do it's job until a normal OC.

I plan on changing it next time with Chevron Supreme, 5w30, and see what it does. I'm not saying Quaker State will ruin an engine ect. However, it should clean the engine better internally. Not a doubt in my mind, from experience.

Ed

Old 02-20-2007, 08:15 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
OK I am going to post just one more thing because I find it amusing.

A while back on the diesel boards someone posted that they changed their oil, drove around the block and the oil was already black. He declared that the oil should not be black and must not be any good.

Now on the gasser boards the oil is not black, so it must not be any good.

I just find this funny.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:24 AM
gdawghereiam
Senior User
quaker state and penzoil are one and the same.

Quick Reply: Do not use Quaker State oil