6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Good Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:25 PM
nut1605
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Good Exhaust?

This is going to be a very long post, so I apologize in advance, I just want to cover all of my bases. I am looking into replacing the exhaust system on my 2007 PSD with an aftermarket one. From reading around on this site, it seems that the general consensus is that an MBRP Exhaust is a good one. That being said, I am looking at the MBRP 4" Turbo Back "Cool Duals" Exhaust in Stainless Steel. From the soundclips I have heard, the Duals have a deeper "rumble" tone than the single which is what I like. I have also read that leaving the muffler in also creates some back pressure that is needed for low end power as some people who have taken their mufflers out have lost some low end torque.

All this being said, I have a few questions:

How does Ford react to aftermarket exhaust systems as far as warranty work goes? I know its probably a dealership to dealership type thing, but are they generally pretty good about it?

Is the exhaust system I am looking at a good one (does it sound good, look good, perform well)?

Has anybody experienced any MPG or power gains (assuming I am leaving the muffler in)?

As far as the cat goes, in the product description it says "Permits the use of the Factory Catalytic Converter to be "BOLTED" in Factory Location". Now this would be my first aftermarket exhaust, so does that just mean that I take the factory cat out of the factory exhaust and literally bolt it into the new exhaust system? And then if I want to, I can simply unbolt the cat and put a cat delete pipe in? Is that something easy to do?

Assuming the cat and muffler are in, does it still conform to emissions laws say in Texas or Washington (I will be graduating in May and could be moving to either of those places)? If the cat is out, does it not abide by "emissions" laws, so I would have to be careful if I put a cat delete pipe in?

Last question...does the exhaust come with tips already, or is that something that needs to be ordered separate from the exhaust?

Sorry for the long winded post and probably some pretty stupid questions. I am just starting to get excited and wanting to make sure I dont miss anything. Thank you very much in advance for your responses.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I recently purchased a 5in cat back mbrp aluminized system. Love the sound and now i am looking at a cat delete pipe. Mine pretty much has a straight through muffler and i havent noticed a real difference in mpg or low end power loss. The only think different is it sounds AWESOME. As far as warranty goes, three dealerships told me that anything from the cat back, ford doesnt mind. Messing with the cat they said, even though all three had never experienced a problem with removing the cat technically, if it came down to it they could void the warranty. You can put the cat back into the system b/c it bolts into the aftermarket exhaust. I am opting for the cat delete pipe that bolts back on instead of a welded piece b/c if it ever had to go back for warranty work, it bolts on in 20-30 mins and is fairly easy to do. Currently in Ga, they dont emissions test diesels so i have never had to do that. Mine didnt come with a tip, but i think i will order one soon b/c the pipe is leaving soot on the bumper. I am very pleased with the mbrp exhaust i purchased. Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:02 PM
nut1605
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for your response, that really helps!!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Als03FX4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put on the MBRP 4" turbo back stainless single w/6"tip today on my 2006 F-350. My tip was extra. I left the cat in and it sounds pretty much stock with a little bit more rumble. I just ordered the cat delete pipe tonight, so that should make it louder. My dealer told me the only thing that will be void is the exhaust warrenty. It does vary between dealers. I would ask your dealer first. Hopefully this helps ya out.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:12 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
i have the 4" stainless cool duals with the cat delete, love the sound, cant be beat! didnt notice much of a perfromance gain but im sure there is some, less egt's and maybe a little bit better mileage...

Old 02-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Powermoon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nut1605, if you're planning on moving to WA state on the eastern side of the mountains then you really don't need to worry about the emission testing, but I have heard about the Seattle area doing them.