CB Radio Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:43 PM
CptSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB Radio Suggestions?

Need some advice on a CB for my '03 F250. I have wanted one in the truck for awhile and have finally decided t get one. So my question is what should I get?
I've been looking at the Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio I like the features and the fact that it can be removed and used in other vehicles. But I'm wondering if they will work as well as a regular mobil unit?

Thoughts, experiences, suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

JB

Old 02-15-2007, 04:54 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally would recommend a regular mount radio over any of the handheld units like that. Cobra makes good products, but you won't get the range nor stability out of one of those like you would a mounted unit.

I would look at a Cobra 25, 18' of coax, and a Wilson 1000 antenna or a Frnacis 5x5 fiberglass antenna.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:14 PM
bigun72
Posting Guru
i got a midland radio ...and a firestik antenna ...it works real good

Old 02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Right now I am using a Uniden 510pro(yea its little, but its been tuned) a small 2 pill amp and a wilson 1000 mag mount. since my truck did not come with the overhead lie-o-meter, I mounted the unit right above the rearview mirror. Like I said its a small radio, that I have had peaked and tuned, and a small amp added, and I can talk out to 20-22 miles. Now, I 've got a buddy who has a Connex and a big box amp and he can talk to 30 miles or better. If he catches a skip he can talk with the Ham guys

Old 02-15-2007, 07:28 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I am using a galaxy DX73v. I like the DX73v because of the frequency counter, fast access to 6,19,21, all of the channels, available power, SWR meter/calibrator, and fine frequency adjustment.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Americanmadeford
Senior User
After a LOT of research I bought a Uniden PC 68XL and a Wilson 5ft Silver Load. I picked the radio based on quality vs features vs price. I picked the wilson silver load because, well, you just can't beat them. Even the much famed Firestik.

BTW, amps are ILLEGAL and affect those around you. Be considerate and dont use them unless needed.

Also, dont trust those built in SWr meters. They are good for judging if your radio needs to be retuned, but NOT for tuning.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:33 PM
unleashed
Junior User
Being a retired trucker myself,I am partial to the radio I have used in ALL my rigs and 4x4's.I use a connex 3300hp/zx on a 102" stainless whip or wilson 2000 antennas.I have had very good service out of this particular radio.It has been handled roughly for years and to this day,I can sit in the driveway and talk skip to australia barefoot with no amps.I have had extensive mods done to it over the years,it will definately "reach out,and touch someone".

Old 02-16-2007, 12:41 AM
n6nfg
Senior User
Originally Posted by CobraXP
I personally would recommend a regular mount radio over any of the handheld units like that. Cobra makes good products, but you won't get the range nor stability out of one of those like you would a mounted unit.
Can you support this opinion with any facts? Note I am not trying to start an argument

With the current state of modern electronics miniaturization there is no reason why a handheld unit can't be as powerful, sensitive, or as stable as a more traditional package type. We are truly talking about the packaging here, not the internals of the unit.

I happen to have that Cobra 75wxst with a Wilson 1000 and find that it works at least as good as my previous dash mounted unit.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Munky
Senior User
I just picked up a CB and antenna yesterday (Don't remember the model of each, but I do know the CB is a Cobra) and I currently have it plugged into a cigarette lighter as it was just a quick install. I don't get very good reception as it is now. Would having it wired up a different way help get better reception? Also how do I go about getting it tuned well? Thanks!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Americanmadeford
Senior User
What is your reception like now?

What kind of antenna is it? (mirror mount, magnetic, for examples)

Old 02-18-2007, 07:13 PM
unleashed
Junior User
The antenna has EVERYTHING to do with how well any given radio will receive and transmit.You should take the whole setup to a reputable cb shop in your area.NOTE: if you do not know where one is,just stop by any truckstop in your area and ask one of the local truckers there.I am sure they'd be glad to point you in the right direction Munky.Try the flying J truckstop over off of the loop.I guarantee you can find someone to help you there.You have to get the swr's checked and set before you will realize the radio's maximum performance.Also,you can get the radio "peaked,and tuned" at the cb shop as well.I hope this helps a little.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Munky
Senior User
I forgot to grab the packaging before I came inside for the night to get the info for you guys. It is a megnetic antenna that I have on the roof of my truck. There is another employee where I work that has a CB on her truck, I can always ask her if she knows of a reputable cb shop here in Indy. Which flying j? I believe there's one at I-70 and Mount Comfort Rd on the East side, and I believe one at I-70 and State Road 3 (New Castle exit) on the East side.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Americanmadeford
Senior User
I doubt you can really "tune" your antenna. Most mag. mounts come pretuned (not the best, but they atleast wont damage your CB). Since you have a truck and not a car it would have been better to have gotten somehting a little better than a magnetic mount. But hey itll work. I can get out several miles with my cheap Cobra CB and Radio Shack mag mount in my Focus.

How did you run the coax into the cab? Any bends/creases? Make sure you didnt coil up any excess coax. Also make sure to put the antenna in the dead center of your roof. This will give it a better ground plane.

Next, get on a highway with truckers and mile makers. Ask for a "radio check" and ask those who respond what mile maker they are at. This is the best way to judge reception.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:11 PM
77monster
Senior User
hey munkey you have a j right there on exit 4 on the 465 bypass also a pilot with a cb shop out back in a little trailer and across the street from the pilot is a building infront of the econo lodge that is a cb shop. not sure if there is one in the j but the other two are there seen them both when i was driveing truck but never used them for the radio in my truck was a company owned one so i never got it tuned

Old 02-18-2007, 10:13 PM
nighthawk285
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Americanmadeford
Make sure you didnt coil up any excess coax.
How do you deal with all the extra length then?

Quick Reply: CB Radio Suggestions?