1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Weird starter problem

Old 02-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You need to have the battery load tested at a shop.

Voltage across the posts doesn't mean much.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:27 PM
nsaikia
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
After a long wait, I was able to go out and take a look at the starter. The bolts felt snug. So, that wasn't the issue this time. The battery voltage measure 12.55V, but have not done a load test yet. I will take it to a battery shop this week. I proceed to take the starter out. I noticed that I can rotate the starter gear both ways. One way only the gear will rotate and the other way the gear and bendix will rotate. I always thought you should be able to move the gear only one way. Is this normal?

Old 03-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Yep...that's Normal.....

Old 03-12-2007, 11:28 PM
msbweiland
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would still suggest a voltage drop test. It will tell you exactly what is wrong without pulling any parts off. Don't rely on the counter guys at the parts stores to diagnose it, or to give you an accurate load test on the battery.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:21 AM
nsaikia
Senior User
Battery checked good. Hooked starter back up. It started fine twice and then craped again. I will try out the voltage drop test tonight. I got two choices now:
1) Try out a NAPA starter.
2) Break down and take it to a shop.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:18 PM
msbweiland
Senior User
Make sure you do it with a Digital volt meter. Analog meters aren't as accurate. Start with the whole cable, from batt + to starter lug. Work your way back up the cable and you should find the bad spot. There should be no more than .5 volt drop. I'd guess it's your solenoid on the fenderwell. High resistance (Low cranking voltage) will fry a starter in no time. Sometimes it'll even make them spin, without kicking the bendix out.

Post up what you find. I'm curious about the voltage loss across the cables.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:25 PM
nsaikia
Senior User
I got a digital Voltmeter. Will use that. I will post results tomorrow.
Just thought to share with you - I talked to a local mechanic that I normally go to. He is a good reputation in town and builds race engines. He thinks that the starter is the problem. He says that sometimes a bad starter will work first few times and then will quit.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Mil1ion
New User
That's correct and the reason I take my Alternators & starters to a Rebuild shop for re-building instead of a part store.

I get them done for about $25.00 and they last forever because quality parts are used in them.

Most stuff coming from Asia is faulty I have found.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:56 PM
msbweiland
Senior User
I am a utility company mechanic, so as you can guess I've seen my share of bad starters. I will be the first one to tell you to stay away from the parts store starters, I've had terrible luck with CRAPA, Federated, Carquest, and anything not OEM or rebuilt by our local alt/starter supplier. They rebuild them in house and rarely have problems. I have gone back to OEM on all my fleet trucks to save having road calls for a bad starter with the bucket up in the air.
I would have to say seeing all the starters you've gone through there is something burning them up rather than getting that many bad ones in a row. I know the quality sucks but that is A LOT of wrenching! Low cranking voltage will kill a starter in no time. Doesn't take more than 1v drop to fry it in a short period of time. Curious to see what the findings are.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:48 AM
nsaikia
Senior User
So, does NAPA starter considered good quality? I am regretting that I got rid of my OEM starter. Wonder if I can pick one up somewhere.
Msbweiland, my current starter is not completely fried. It just seems to work on and off. I have not got around to checking the voltage drop - work sometimes keep me a little too busy.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Well NAPA I'm sure is only the retailer.

Question is : Who supplies NAPA ?

Note that they too have some bad parts.

They just have the best warranty.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:10 PM
nsaikia
Senior User
Well, I went aheand and bought a NAPA starter. Tonight, I will do the voltage drop test and put the NAPA starter on as well. Hopefull, I won't get stuck at work again.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 PM
nsaikia
Senior User
msbewiland, when you said you went back to OEM, do you mean you bought Motorcraft reman starter?

Old 03-15-2007, 02:06 PM
msbweiland
Senior User
If I can get them I install NEW OE parts. Otherwise I have the local shop build them and keep one on the shelf. Re-Man= LOTS OF WORK!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:27 AM
nsaikia
Senior User
I was able to get one voltage drop test before I had enough day light left to put the NAPA starter.
The voltage across the posts without engine cranking is 12.67V
The voltage across the posts with engine cranking is average 10.86V
The voltage across the starter positive terminal and starter body lowest recorded is 10.46V, and average is about 10.70V.

I put the NAPA starter on and seems the truck is happy again. When it starts, I do not hear any momentary binding noise that I was hearing with the other starter (whenever it worked for a few tries). So far, it is engaging the engine good. I am yet to start the truck this morning to check if it will engage again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird starter problem