1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F1 parts for 1951 pickup

Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 PM
jimhackney
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kusto, are you planning to use the standard battery mount or make one of your own. Tomorrow, I can mock mine up so you can see where it goes. The battery tray has a leg about 18" long that goes down to a spot between the fender inner and the frame and bolts to the fender inner near the tray for the battery. In this location, it doesn't interfere with the hood hinge.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:08 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kusto
The battery appears to be located over the hood spring mount? Or is there just enough room for the hood springs to clear the battery. Do you have a closer shot or measurements for the mount location.
Sorry, that's the only shot I have. The hood spring is just to the left of the box and it does not interfere with the hood opening/closing. I mounted the box as close as possible to the hood spring and as high as possible and not hit the hood. I also used side mounted battery cables to allow more clearance on top...

Old 05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys thanks.

Jim if you could post pics of yours I would really apreciate it. I think I'm getting the jist of the battery mount configuration now. Sounds as though it runs back down to the frame on a pedistal..is that correct. Likely is also positioned near the square notch located on the passenger side inner fender?

Here is the issue I can see I may have with that...Since my truck is a darkie , the stock battery mount (which I don't have right now) may not work simply because of the relationship of the Chevy frame and the fender well.

Also since I have a Chevy drive train the battery would be in the way of engine oil dipstick and Trans oil dipstick.

Anyone, seen these mounted inside the front of the fender or between the grille and the radiator?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,770 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Jim, I am in a bit of a stall with where to place my battery in My '48 and was wondering if you would let em know where you are mounting yours.

Don't mean to hi-jack
Kusto,
On my 49 I set the battery down into the bed floor. Basically its setting beneath the bed in the upper passenger side, outside of the frame rail and on top of the running board. I'm using the bed floor from a 2005 GMC truck and the bedfloor is a couple inches higher than stock and completely covers the battery.
I have seen the batteries mounted here with stock bedfloors but they would have to notch the running board to get them to fully fit beneath the bedfloor.

Bobby

Old 05-23-2007, 04:12 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys thanks.

...Since my truck is a darkie , the stock battery mount (which I don't have right now) may not work simply because of the relationship of the Chevy frame and the fender well.

Also since I have a Chevy drive train the battery would be in the way of engine oil dipstick and Trans oil dipstick.

Anyone, seen these mounted inside the front of the fender or between the grille and the radiator?
Mine is also a Chevy engine but if you get the right sized battery you can squeeze it in between the hood spring and the transmission dip stick. Those original style pedestal mounts take up a lot valuable room in the engine compartment. That was one of the first things to go on my truck. I don't think the area between the grille and radiator is viable. If you can't put it on the firewall you might be able to put it under the floor on the passenger side or in the bed or below the bed like Bobby did.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:17 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,770 Likes on 1,818 Posts
I had briefly considered recessing the battery into the passenger side inner fender or all he way under the passenger side front fender. In the end I didn't do it as it was easier for me to put it under the bed.

It seems like along time ago there was mention of a battery being placed between the grill and the radiator. I don't remember much about it.

LOL....when I first got my truck running I had the battery sitting loose on the passenger side floorboard....not recommended

Bobby

Old 05-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the pics Bobby...

I am thinking I will go with the under the bed Idea. But I think I will also run remote hookup under the hood for ease of access. Just incase I gotta boost one of these newer vehicles on the road...