1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 F100 subframe options

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:09 AM
53f100owner
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
53 F100 subframe options

I tried a search but I got a error messege. Can someone give me some input on swapping in a mid 70`s camaro subframe? I know there is alot of fab involved, I helped my buddy with this set up in a 55 chevy p/u, but I don`t know if the widths are the same or if there is a better set up from another car. I don`t want to put out a ton of money for a jag set up and i don`t want a Volare set up either. Thanks guys.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the very top (gray) header bar of the forum page, just under the FTE banner, click the tab called "Articles/Specs", then click on the catagory "Steering and Suspension" and you'll find and eleven part article from the members here on "Suspension Alternatives for 48-60 trucks". It is very complete and used to be a "sticky" at the tp of our forum page. I believe it covers the Camaro clip also. OR, you can use the link below (to the same place):
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/10/0/

BTW, the main reason that the Jag IFS option is so well liked is because you can usually buy the whole car for a few hundred dollars, so the low cost is one of the main benefits. That said, there are a number of excellent front suspension choices in the article.

Enjoy!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:49 PM
53f100owner
Freshman User
Thanks Randy. I haven`t been hear long and still finding my way around. I guess I missed that. Plus it was late last night when i was looking. I did`nt see anything about the "camaro" clip but I did find a link to a article from bobco`s about installing one. I still think the MII would be the best way to go but it`s pricey. Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:58 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Lots of great info in that tech article, highly recommended. I was more interested in subframes than complete clip replacement. I considered the MII, Volare and Jag, and settled on the Jag setup. Using a subframe allows you to keep the stock frame intact, with all the body mounts, bumper mounts etc. which you lose when you cut and clip. A subframe can also be removed later, when a newer system comes out and your grandson wants to change it. In my case, with an F-1, the Jag subframe is a bolt on, and the price is equaled only by the Volare.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:54 AM
FordRacing250
New User
I got a chassis with a 64-7 chevelle clip in it.. It was done by Bob Johnson of California Conversions a while back.. It fit perfectly between the frame rails, easier than a camero clip if i remember correctly. Everything lines up great, and reinstalled the front frame horns for the bumper and and radiator. If you like i can send you some pics before i sell this thing at pomona or long beach.
tim

Old 02-13-2007, 06:27 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tim,

I'd like to see those pictures if you would send them my way. I am considering a similar swap using a 75 Malibu suspension in the near future. My email is New_Hampshire_Yankee at Yahoo.com.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Protozoa
5th Wheeling
I put a Camaro clip on mine before really checking out the other options and I would not recommend it unless you don't mind a lot of fabrication. I kept the front frame section for the radiator support and to do this I built a fixture before cutting the frame. Take a look at the pictures in my gallery. If I would have done the Volare I might be driving this truck by now. I'm over the hump now, but it has been a long road. Welcome to the dark side.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
I'm familiar with the other options but sometimes you just want to use what you have. In my case, a near drivable 75 Malibu rusting in the back yard. I've gone the Volare, MII, Pacer, and even the Camaro (actually an Olds Omega)route on other projects. I haven't done a Chevelle Malibu on a truck yet though so I see it as an interesting project and I won't be in a hurry. If I were going for easy I'd go the Jag or Volare option again...

Old 02-13-2007, 12:48 PM
FordRacing250
New User
GreatNorthWoods I will get some pics to you in the next day or so.
Tim

Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FordRacing250
Tim
Tim, appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:20 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Protozoa
I put a Camaro clip on mine.... .
I looked at your gallery pictures and you did an excellent job on the installation.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Protozoa
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I looked at your gallery pictures and you did an excellent job on the installation.
Thanks. One more word of advice for someone looking to do this, make sure you get the 70s to 81 Camaro/Nova/Omega front end that has the steering box in front of the control arms. The earlier Camaro has the steering box behind the control arms closer to the firewall. The reason being the later ones are supposed to have better steering geometry and handle much better. I figure if you are going to go through that much work you may as well benefit from the factory engineering improvements. However I do understand the need to use what is lying around.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:16 AM
kicker1_solo
Junior User
Does anybody actually have a detailed how-to on this, step by step with pictures? I have a late 70s camaro clip that I'm gonna be fabbing onto my 54 this summer and was hoping to read up a little bit on it first.

I did read through the article that was mentioned above, but it's not very helpful

Old 05-26-2008, 08:43 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FordRacing250
Tim
Whatever happened to those pictures? I'm almost ready to remove the suspension from the Malibu...

Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 PM
kicker1_solo
Junior User
Originally Posted by kicker1_solo
Does anybody actually have a detailed how-to on this, step by step with pictures? I have a late 70s camaro clip that I'm gonna be fabbing onto my 54 this summer and was hoping to read up a little bit on it first.

I did read through the article that was mentioned above, but it's not very helpful
bump.........

Quick Reply: 53 F100 subframe options