Sponsored by: DP Tuner

head scrather

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:41 PM
150blue
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down head scrather

i know there are 2 billion gpr threads but... i forgot to plug the truck in last night and when i tried to start it only the starter spins. that was at noon, and since then i've read about testing the gpr. i crossed the big posts and got an arc, which i assume means a bad gpr but now it starts. plugged in since12 but i wouldn't start till i tested gpr any thoughts? also after it ran for a few i shut it off but it wouldn't restart. hhheeeeeellllpppppp.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:31 PM
ponch37300
Elder User
I had the same problem last week when it was -10. I didn't have access to plug it in over night and when i went to start it the engine would turn over once or twice and then just the starter would spin. With help from this site we came to the conclusion the starter was going out and cause it was so cold the starter had to work so much harder and it was to weak to do it's job. I have all new gps, gpr, 5w40 synthetic oil and new batteries so the cold starting system is fine, the starter was just showing it's weak state. Sounds like you may have a weak starter. Now that it is about 20 degrees here it is starting fine but i will end up changing the starter out this week so if it gets cold again i won't have to worry about the starter being the weak link and not being able to do it's job.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:37 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 150blue
i know there are 2 billion gpr threads but... i forgot to plug the truck in last night and when i tried to start it only the starter spins. that was at noon, and since then i've read about testing the gpr. i crossed the big posts and got an arc, which i assume means a bad gpr but now it starts. plugged in since12 but i wouldn't start till i tested gpr any thoughts? also after it ran for a few i shut it off but it wouldn't restart. hhheeeeeellllpppppp.
When you jumped the GPR large terminals you manually did what is suppose to happen when the glow plugs are needed and the PCM commands the relay to close. Let me ask a few questions:

How long did you keep the jump across the large posts on the GPR? (I don't know where you are, so I can't tell how long the GPR should be on if it was working correctly. Try it for 30 seconds...

Have you checked the connections on the GPR? Make sure they are clean and tight?

When you say "the starter spins" do you mean the starter spins without the engine turning over? If that is the case, then the starter pawl isn't engaging and you need a solenoid/bendix drive on the starter. If the engine is turning over but not starting, then the problem is more likely associated with the GPR/glow plugs.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:01 PM
150blue
Freshman User
I Only Crossed Terminals Quickly And It's 15-20* In Ct. I Did Also Check Connection And They're Good. By Starter Spinning I Meant The Motor Does Not. I've Had This Problem Intermitenly W/ Starter But Never Twice In A Row, And On The 3rd Try I Left The Key On For Full Minute And It Started. also where can i find these bendix/soenoid drives?

Last edited by 150blue; 02-11-2007 at 08:42 PM.