Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Popular Mechanics Full Size Pickup tests...and the winner is...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 01:51 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I get a kick out of these mags doing these test. They dont seem to have a clue what a truck is. All they ever test is half tons. They claim to be testing trucks, but I have yet to see any half ton I would consider a Truck. They are basically testing cars with big trunks.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:23 PM
westladog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The difference is only 2'. You're a joke.

What can an 8' do that a 6' can't? So you have two more feet. So what?
So when you are towing a heavy trailer, your extra two feet make it a little more stable. So what? Many of us don't haul that much load.

...sound like an elitist to me.....

So the mags rated the F150 low.....get use to it

As a truck owner, I only care about two things:
- HP and torque
- reliability.

I'm not brand loyal as much as some of you guys but I feel that the days are numbered for the big three. They're luck Honda hasn't gotten into the fullsize truck market yet. The new titan and tundra will slowly take the market share away from Ford, Dodge, and Chevy. It's just a matter of time.

Originally Posted by 95250mac
For a truck to be a truck to Haul anything you should be able to buy a 8' bed.

The Nissan does not have a 8' bed so it is not a truck to be used for a truck. It is a car
with a open trunk.

We should not call trucks with 6' beds full size, you don't call a twin bed a king!

Last edited by westladog; 02-18-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:28 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by westladog

What can an 8' do that a 6' can't?

Many of us don't haul that much load.
the answer to your question is an endless answer!

But then your next statement make me understand why you would even have to ask.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:58 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,728 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Originally Posted by conger
Anybody seen the Toyota commercial, where the Tundra is towing a 10000 lb trailer up a ramp and then down the other side. The ramp is built like a big teeter-totter. Looks impressive; but I'm guessing 4x4 and low range. I know someone with a Tundra. It's not much for hauling.
Computer Animated....

Same with the commercial where it's accelerating through closing doors and comes to a stop before dropping off a cliff.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:14 PM
89300L64x4
Senior User
ok so the 5.4 ford donsent have 350 or more horses it makes most torque at 1000 rpms then all the rest of them high rev'er motors in the other trucks. il sacrifise a little power for more low end ball busting torque any day plus the F150 hauls and tows just as much if not more than the others

Old 02-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Jerme
Senior User
Originally Posted by 89300L64x4
ok so the 5.4 ford donsent have 350 or more horses
No, and thats the problem. There should be an optional engine that at least matches the competition!

il sacrifise a little power for more low end ball busting torque any day plus the F150 hauls and tows just as much if not more than the others
Just so you know, the 5.7 tundra puts out more power through it's wheels than the 5.4 f150 puts out at the crank. thats pathetic.

it makes most torque at 1000 rpms then all the rest of them high rev'er motors in the other trucks
So if you were in the market for a diesel, it sounds like you'd take a dodge over a powerstroke then?

Old 02-18-2007, 10:54 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Computer Animated....

Same with the commercial where it's accelerating through closing doors and comes to a stop before dropping off a cliff.
Look what started....

Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 PM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jerme
No, and thats the problem. There should be an optional engine that at least matches the competition!

Just so you know, the 5.7 tundra puts out more power through it's wheels than the 5.4 f150 puts out at the crank. thats pathetic.

So if you were in the market for a diesel, it sounds like you'd take a dodge over a powerstroke then?
2008,2999 keep your pants on.

Its a tundra they need that advantage to sell there truck but trust me you want a F-350 or a ford if your towing 10 k, A tundra is not a truck looks googy with a 8' bed

the new Dodge doesint come close to the new SD i forgot but I think its puts 274HP and 630 ft lbs at 2000 rpm.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by NumberDummy

They look like an overgrown weiner dog with those loooong beds.
LOL!!!!
.....I know. I picked up a '95 T100 with 125,000 miles on it.

TINY, TINY cab with this Giant 8' bed!!!

Paid $500 for it because the guy thought the clutch was fried....I replaced the clutch (thought it strange that there seemed to be a LOT of disc left)
Truck would still not engage 1st gear...

A little WWW. research shows a HUGE percentage of T100's crack the clutch bracket which limits engagement....a $70 part.

Here's the fun part, total investment of under $1,000 and I've been offered upwards of $4,000 for it..........but I kinda like it to tool around in, and it gets double the MPG of my F-250.

Sorry for the .....carry on.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 PM
seftonm
Senior User
ok so the 5.4 ford donsent have 350 or more horses it makes most torque at 1000 rpms then all the rest of them high rev'er motors in the other trucks. il sacrifise a little power for more low end ball busting torque any day plus the F150 hauls and tows just as much if not more than the others
That would be useful if automatic transmissions let you cruise around at full throttle and 1000 rpm. In the real world, having the most torque at 1000 rpm (questionable whether it's Ford or not) is near useless.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:40 PM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
Originally Posted by seftonm
That would be useful if automatic transmissions let you cruise around at full throttle and 1000 rpm. In the real world, having the most torque at 1000 rpm (questionable whether it's Ford or not) is near useless.
How so? it moves a bigger load and lets you gain speed to maintain, My 1998 when I brought home my 300I6all i did was put the truck into park and it was liek any other day engage into drive and it starts rolling like normal. was able to turn the hole truck around with little thorttle.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:41 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 93RangerXL4x2

the new Dodge doesint come close to the new SD i forgot but I think its puts 274HP and 630 ft lbs at 2000 rpm.

Dude...........Seriously, is there ANYTHING you can get correct????

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve...ions/ram67.jsp

This engine is rated with 350 horsepower at just 3013 rpm. The 6.7-liter Turbo Diesel achieves a peak torque of 650 lb-ft at 1500 rpm for the automatic transmission configuration and maintains that peak torque all the way to 2800 rpm (a "best in class" capability for a heavy-duty diesel pickup) and a full 610 lb-ft peak torque for the manual transmission.

Your memory is faulty.............imagine that

Last edited by DOHCmarauder; 02-18-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:55 PM
seftonm
Senior User
Originally Posted by 93RangerXL4x2
How so? it moves a bigger load and lets you gain speed to maintain, My 1998 when I brought home my 300I6all i did was put the truck into park and it was liek any other day engage into drive and it starts rolling like normal. was able to turn the hole truck around with little thorttle.
Unless you're at full throttle, the engine isn't making all the torque that it can. By the time you get to full throttle, it's unlikely the engine will be spinning at 1000 rpm. So any truck could have done that.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:11 AM
westladog
Senior User
My first full-sized truck was a Dodge 5.9 back in 1996, and it's still running to this day (although my father in law has it now). Although I currently own the F250 V10 and F250 PSD, I'm so tired of you brand-loyal ford guys thinking that Ford is the best thing since slice bread. The F150 may be the best selling vehicle but, once the japanese gets into this market, Ford (built in Canada), Dodge (Mexico), and Chevy (Canada) better get ready for battle. Considering how they are doing, I'm betting on the side of the Japanese....

By the way, it's interesting the how a company's culture determines its success or failures. For example, companies like Intel, IBM, and Microsoft just to name a few are so successful even in the face of competition globally. Unlike the big three, for example, Intel uses talent from all over the world to make it a better company. They have employees from the US as well as Israel, India, China, Russia, etc. What's interesting is that these different ethnic groups all work together for the good of the company. Every employee carries a badge and on the back of the badge, there are guidelines that every employee should follow. Some of the guidelines are:

Customer - Listen and respond to our customers, suppliers and stakeholders

Discipline - Conduct business with uncompromising integrity and professionalism

Quality - Continuously learn, develop and improve. Take pride in our work

Risk Taking - Embrace change and challenge the status quo

Great Place to Work - Be open and direct, Promote a challenging work environment that develops our diverse workforce,Work as a team with respect and trust for each other,Win and have fun,Recognize and reward accomplishments,Manage performance fairly and firmly,Be an asset to our communities worldwide

Results Orientation - Set challenging and competitive goals,Focus on output,Assume responsibility,Constructively confront and solve problems,Execute flawlessly

http://www.intel.com/jobs/workplace/values.htm

Why can't Ford, Dodge, and Chevy do the same?

Last edited by westladog; 02-19-2007 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:09 AM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
I dont think that the Toyota/Nissan 1/2 and of there trucks can survive in the North Americian truck market. I have only ever seen 5 Titans since 2004 is that sad or what? they must sell good... you think Fords gonan ly back by 2010 we well know what fords engines are, they well be thee new ones in there truck, Dodge has to step up and The new chevs suck so they have to as well basicly, Toyotas arent gonna make a huge impact.

Quick Reply: Popular Mechanics Full Size Pickup tests...and the winner is...