Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Remind me why I like Ford...

Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Riiiiiiight... Look how big and heavy our steering wheels have become.

That is true. Wow Dohc...something we both agree. I thought I saw a pig fly.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:16 PM
TimHolt
New User
[QUOTE=afreemanmd]
Originally Posted by Monsta
It's because they practically GIVE those Rams away. The almighty $$ strikes again...especially when it comes to folks who like trucks but actually don't "need" a truck. IYKWIM.

Haha very true! Now that I am thinking about it, I haven't seen many that weren't washed, waxed, and polished and within a year or so old.

Isaac
Giving them away? I dont think so. They are just selling what your getting if you wish to compare. The Dodge, not near as comfortable, not as fancy with all the useless trim and chrome, not as ugly anymore,,,,, What was Ford thinking with the 08 design, it looks like the National Lampoons family truckster. The Dodge seats are terrible, fit and finish leave something to be desired.

What your getting, a solid frame, best in class engine (is there a compairison?) two new 6 speed autos and a 6 speed stick, a front axle on the 4X4 that really doesnt have anything to break (no hub locks, saves money here AND making it stronger?) There are tons more to compare price with.

Dodges own Texas because here in Texas we REALLY work pickups! Ford OWNED Texas when it comes to work pickups untill the 6.0 came out. Solid blue oval guys went back to the dealer to get their 7.3s back, others took theirs out of moth *****, did what ever repairs and maintenence to them and back on the road. Buisnesses are buing up the used 7.3s right and left. Heck, I cant even find ME a good one around here. The rest went to Dodge, some to DuraMax and then on to Dodge, and more still are putting in the Cummins.

With all the negitives that Dodge has when it comes down to the nut-cutting of whats going to work AND be reliable, Dodge OWNS IT now. They arent the fanciest, comfortable or pretty, but they work. And that Cummins, there are some Ford owners that want the Cummins as a factory install SO bad, that they have convinced themselves that Ford OWNS Cummins and beat themselves up over why Ford doesnt put them in.

Ford HAS to get their reliability back by building a great work truck like they did in the years past. Stop competing with DuraMax, stop compairing HP and Torque numbers, those things dont make a reliable work truck.

I like manual windows, manual door locks, manual trans, PS, PB, AC, rubber floor mats, plain cloth bench seats, and a solid drivetrain. Thats the truck Ford COULD sell me IF they built one now. They dont and thats why they are so dang high in price. Its a high priced truck that comes with high priced tow and repair bills.

Ford doesnt proudly display "Navistar" on the side or their truck, neither does GM display "Power by Isuzu" on theirs. Dodge puts CUMMINS on their truck like its a badge of honor and runs ads saying powered by the Ledgendary Cummins engine in all their ads.

I am an EX bow tie guy from years back turned Ford because GM just couldnt build a real work truck anymore. Now Ford has done it to me too and I swore I would never own a Dodge, but now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,??

Old 03-19-2007, 06:19 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
Don't worry FORD will trunaround. I guarantee it.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TimHolt
What your getting, a solid frame, best in class engine (is there a compairison?)
I could argue (as someone that tows on the open road at higher speeds) YES.
a front axle on the 4X4 that really doesnt have anything to break (no hub locks, saves money here AND making it stronger?)
Emphasis on the part in bold.
Why do hub locks exist? To save wear and tear, and fuel.
Fords vaccum operated system has been a bit of a dog, but I would still prefer it over no hub locks

I like manual windows, manual door locks, manual trans, PS, PB, AC, rubber floor mats, plain cloth bench seats, and a solid drivetrain.
Me too - I pulled out the rear seat in my SuperCab F350 when I had it to make more room for tools.
Was tempted to pull out the passenger seat too, but needed somewhere for the dog

However for working, I still don't think there is a better truck available than an F-350 Cab Chassis, Narrow Frame, DRW, 4x4, PSD, all levers in a single cab config (we only got them as Super Cabs here)

Dodge puts CUMMINS on their truck like its a badge of honor and runs ads saying powered by the Ledgendary Cummins engine in all their ads.
In all honesty though - think about why that is. Cummins sells Dodge 3/4 and 1ton trucks almost exclusively (along with price).
Ford and GM don't need to do that...

Old 03-19-2007, 08:38 PM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
Ford owns. 54% of the 3/4 Ton Market, and about 26% Spilt Dodge and Chevy,GMC

Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
Why do hub locks exist? To save wear and tear, and fuel.
Fords vaccum operated system has been a bit of a dog, but I would still prefer it over no hub locks
My brother-in-law has a Suburban 1500 w/4x4. He said the front end was whining, and right away, I thought - what're the hubs stuck? Oh wait, that thing's spinning all the time, I thought to myself.

What a paradigm shift. It's like I got hit with vertigo for a second.

The ole 2-wheel-drive with transfer case in 4low comes in handy a LOT - I must have used it, I don't know, 20 times since I put Warns in the front of my ESOF-equipped truck.

Although, it's not really all that much wear-and-tear on the front-end to run locked all the time, I guess his leaked and ran a little dry... ouch.

For some people, a Ford's setup is the best thing for them. Some are not so discerning, it just has to work all the time. Maybe Ford will get to satisfy both sides of that soon, more than they already are. I sure hope so...

Old 03-21-2007, 12:52 AM
89300L64x4
Senior User
in the arguement of the 5.9 cummins i think it is a great gass saver and torque monster but as far as towing the motor just dosnt have the rpms to get up the hills like the V8 diesels do in my opinon. plus the new common rail cummins dont have that big rig sound like the mechanical 12v's and 24v's do. i can buy any 6.0 and fix them if i needed to not reget it, i know most cant or know how to do so. i know their great motors and have ridin and drove them. no body gives them credit they deserve. id rather drive any 6.0 psd then drive a slushbox dodge any day of the week.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
TimHolt
New User
I thought 5.9s ran on diesel. LOL. I agree that the common rail doesnt have that classic big rig sound but none of the V8s did either. And your right, the Cummins is a torque monster, it will pull big loads up a hill at nearly an idle. They dont need the high RPMs that the small V8 diesels do. Now my old 7.3 PS didnt rev high either to pull loads. In fact it has the same RPM limits as the 5.9 Cummins. But my brother-in-laws second gen got better fuel milage than my PS empty or overloaded. I wanted to put the 1st gen 12 valve in my Ford but totaled it instead before I got there. Pulling equal loads at the same gear, same RPM, same gear ratio, same hill, side by side he could walk away from me without downshifting and I was doing everything to keep up including downshifting. His is totally stock, mine had the 60HP chip in it. Why is that???? Because his Cummins IS a torque monster, and the torque resides down low where its needed.

I have to admit that I am also one of those Ford freaks that wish the ISB could be an option. They could once again OWN the truck market here and anywhere else for that matter if it could be. The V8 diesel has had its time, its time to move on to better engines. The 6.0 was an admitted flop by Ford and the 6.4 is destined for the same fate. I wish that Ford would at LEAST bring the 7.3 back, get rid of the HUEI for someting better to get it TierIII compliant or use the Navistar I6 engine.

Oh, and BigF350. I did think about why Dodge uses the Cummins Badge with obvious pride. They are flat out letting everyone know that Dodge does not build a diesel but rather buy the BEST. Sure Cummins sells their trucks, having the best will ALLWAYS sell trucks. Navistar is probably glad that Ford doesnt put the Navistar badge on their truck, what an embarrisment. The same goes with GM, what kind of name is DuraMax anyway. At least PowerStroke was catchy.

Ford is doing to the diesel market now that GM did to it in the 70s and 80s. What a flop that was back then. Ford dragged the light truck and diesel combo back out of the muck of GM and owned the market for many years, till now.

Look, it may sound like I am bashing Ford, I am not. I am PLEADING with them instead to stop the insanity. I can no longer defend Ford, the competion even uses all of the 6.0 recalls, TSBs and list of failures to sell GMs and Dodges. And when I tell them that the Ford truck is better, I get the look and comments that I have lost my friggin mind. HOW, they ask me, HOW are they better. GM has had plenty of problems too, but the list is shorter than Ford and Dodge is darn near nothing at all.

I will never go back wearing a BowTie in a diesel. Ford gassers do nothing at all for me (I am driving a 98 Ford 2.5 liter, 5 speed Ranger tiny pickup right now) and will never drive a Dodge gasser, car or truck. I would really like a new truck but instead I am trying to find an 01 back, even one that needs an engine to convert to the Cummins, or a solid 7.3 to have a real truck again. I have a close friend and a neighbor that had the 6.0s. Both had tons of problems. My neighbor is going to give the 6.4 a try, and Don drove his up on the Ford dealers lot for the 17th time, threw the keys at them and walked away from it. Don hailed a Cab and went straight to Dodge and bought a new Mega cab dually. Don has never driven anything but a Ford truck. He said he would never drive another one. How do I counter that???? What do I say???? What has Ford given me to uphold them?????

I am like the original poster of this thread, but instead of airbags, its powertrain. Somebody tell me something other than "Ford is the best", its not. "Ford will out pull anything" it wont. "Ford has a better frame", it doesnt, but no worse either. Come on, give me SOMETHING!!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:08 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
TimHolt,

Couldn't agree more. I've got nothing against Ford. I actually really like my Excursion (except its a V10 when, as a 2000, it would have had a 7.3 lol), but I agree its time for some change, be it powertrain or safety.

I think the best way to make sure a company goes under in the long run is blind brand loyalty. If people really want to help Ford to improve, they'll buy non-ford products. That way, Ford will get the picture that it needs to step up to the plate, before they get WAY behind. Ford already has to some extent, but its still got a ways to go.

I hope Ford can step up to the plate, becuse I'd hate for my next truck to be a Dodge, or **gasp** a Nissan haha jk. I won't be in the market for a while though, so hopefully by that time will have it all figured out

Isaac

Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Having watched my brother a few years ago with his 2003 F150, Ford leaves A LOT to be desired when it comes to customer satisfaction on warranty issues.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:49 PM
89300L64x4
Senior User
i like the newer trucks but im gona stick with a older 1 gen stroker for my first diesel. one of these days il put a DT466E 7.6L in to a newer ford so beter compete with the cummins for hookin up often lol. im still a die hard V8 diesel stroker guy but love the I6s too considering i own and drive one. (though its a gasser)

Old 03-22-2007, 08:28 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A DT466 in a pickup. That would be something to see! I believe you'd need to stretch the front end, or put half the engine in the cab and raise the hood about a foot or so. Also, at least an 8,000lb front axle. That would make quite a picture rolling through town. Would you install air brakes too?

Old 03-22-2007, 10:36 PM
TimHolt
New User
Ok, now another thing to run me down just a little farther. 37,000 trucks recalled due to a FIRE HAZARD?!?!? A hold on 29,000 more???! AND there isnt a FIX, only a bandaid? Do you really want to be pulling your big RV up a single lane moutain road and have just "power down" on you and block traffic for HOW LONG?? One cause was the turbo housing cracking because it wasnt warmed up and fed oil into the exhaust that resulted in a FIRE? Man this is WEAK!

That Dodge is looking better. Who has a good 7.3 for me. I am getting sick. Whats next Ford?

Last edited by TimHolt; 03-22-2007 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tim - was it 37000 trucks in total (that is, including the 29,000)?
Or 37000 trucks to be recalled + the stop ship on the 29,000?

The reason I ask - I have read conflicting media reports on it thats all...

(for the rest of you, some reading: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...l-on-6-4l.html )

Old 03-22-2007, 11:25 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Haha... Thats a scary thought about the 6.4 recall already. We're not even in the model year yet lol...

Its interesting to note that the whole powerstroke line was actually based off a design for a gasoline-powered V8 from International Harvester. lol

But, what I think is funny is that ford was bragging about how they put like a million test miles on the 08's.

What they don't tell you is that that million miles was spread out over a BUNCH of trucks... I'd bet they never put more than 30000 (MAYBE that much) on any particular truck.

I'd like to see Ford put a couple of hundred thousand miles on EACH of a few trucks, and then see how they look for the publicity stills

I really hope ford gets their act together soon, because its not looking good :/

Isaac

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remind me why I like Ford...