stario problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Dallenx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down *****stario Problems****

i own a 1978 ford f-250 and im trying to take out my old cassette player and put in mt new cd player and speakers. but my new cd player doesnt match up with my old connection to the old radio. i've seen many other fords just like mine with cd players in them, so im wondering how do i install me new cd player.

Last edited by Dallenx; 02-09-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:34 AM
SPL Tech
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I highly suggest you take it to a car audio store and have them do it the right way. There are thousands upon thousands of people out there that asked the exact same question you are asking. After they don’t get the answer they want they cut off the OEM harness and try to match up the wires to the harness that came with the CD player. After they find it doesn’t work they take it to a car audio shop and the shop charges double to install it because now they have to repair the OEM harness.

They make wiring harnesses that plug into the OEM harness that allow you to connect the CD player harness to. And if you are installing speakers I guarantee you that you will mess up the polarity. You cant just "hook up the speakers". The signal going to the speakers is AC and its polarized. If you reverse the polarity the speakers will not sound as good as they should. There are various methods for testing the OEM wires but none of these methods are really user executable. It’s something that should be done by a professional installer.

So my recommendation is to take it to a professional installer. It should not cost more then $40 to install.

If you really want to do it yourself go to a car audio shop and ask them how to do it. You will need to go there anyway to get a mounting kit and wiring harness. These two things are absolutely required.

Last edited by SPL Tech; 02-10-2007 at 12:36 AM.