best alternative fuel?

Old 10-31-2011, 12:54 PM
younglife
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best alternative fuel?

what is the best kind of "diesel hybrid" meaning whats the best thing to mix with my diesel or add. whats the ultimate diesel based machine.
separate categories: torque. MPG. reliability/maintenance
i here a lot of pros about [ropane, but to me that sounds like a bith and a half to get refilled, whats the life span on a tank?
my dad wants me to fix up his old 90 somethin f50 by putting a new turbocharged diesel, but i was thinking would it even be easier or better to use what hes got in it but just mix it up
im looking for a list if u got the time i know we could do
propane,
hydrogen(i would love a separate education on that seperately if anyone can)
biofuel/diesel (i herd the best is to do a 50/50?)
electric
im a student and we havnt gotten to biodiesel/alt fuel i think thats commin up in spring but i would love to not look completely stupid when we get there

Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Hi and welcome to the nut house ..you will get all kind's of information here from people that have made ALL the mistakes ..and a few no one ever tried ,,that said ..bio diesel is NOT going to save the world pure sulfer loaded diesel is fine ..befor you start playing with this ..you need to figger out what you want in the end ..and balance cost and return ..bio diesel is cheep ..if you get the product free ,if you can do chemistry safely , if you can follow ALL the safety to protect your diesel systems ..propane is a power booster not generally a full time feed. yes you will need to follow the hydrogen forum's ..it is a exciting addition done right ..dangerous if not ..my ultimate diesel ?? 8-92 detroit with a turbo in a highway Kenworth with a 13 speed ...but that is my choice .. you need to make your choice and that only comes with time and mistakes ..you are supposed to learn from your mistakes ..I learn a lot every day .. lol !!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 PM
DWhiteyF250
Freshman User
I have a couple of friends who run their diesels on recycled cooking oil in the summer exclusively. They don't use any type of converter or heater. In the summer 100% oil just straight into the tank. In the fall they start to mix ratio's of 3/4 oil to 1/4 diesel, 1/2 to 1/2 etc until when it is cold, only diesel. They have had great success. I haven't jumped off the crazy bridge with them yet. Any other experimented with oil?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most of the formerly diesel busses in LA are now running on natural gas (methane). If I were to pick an ideal alternate fuel, that would top the list. I have no details on the conversion. My gut feeling is that it is very difficult. Gas is "dry" compared with fuel oil, meaning it has no lubricity. The big issue is cetane number, simply stated, a rating of how well a fuel auto ignites in a compression ignition engine.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 PM
46/71 Hybrid
Junior User
I run WMO (waste motor oil) in both my '01 PSD and my older IDI and love it.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:56 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Due to demand from blenders like Valvoline (for NEXGEN), base oil refineries for waste motor oil are being built rapidly. The value of used motor oil is becoming too great to just burn it as a fuel. If you have your own supply, great, but the collection infrastructure is changing now to feed these refineries.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM
46/71 Hybrid
Junior User
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Due to demand from blenders like Valvoline (for NEXGEN), base oil refineries for waste motor oil are being built rapidly. The value of used motor oil is becoming too great to just burn it as a fuel. If you have your own supply, great, but the collection infrastructure is changing now to feed these refineries.
I would respectfully disagree as I've been burning WMO for the past 20K+ miles and have not seen any increased difficulty in obtaining WMO. For the DIY oil changers and mechanics that need to get rid of it, they'd much rather have someone come by and pick it up rather than go through the mess of taking it to their local auto store or disposal point.

Once Autozone/Advance/NAPA start buying used oil I'll be inclined to agree with you but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Playing devil's advocate to my own statement though, even if they started buying WMO tomorrow they still wouldn't be paying $4+ gallon (the comparable cost of diesel fuel) and I could afford to pay people for their oil and still save a considerable amount.

There's also the consumer standpoint; Recycled oil isn't substantially cheaper to the point that the average consumer is more likely to pick it over virgin oil.

Once they work out a better price point, educate the general consumer about recycled oil, figure out how to yield more than 50% useable oil from WMO feedstock, AND start paying people for their used oil, I'll start to get worried about my sources drying up.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Right now a lot depends upon location. Also, refiners prefer fleets rather than public collection points for feedstock due to fewer risks of contamination. Are you actually running 100% waste oil or a blend? Does anyone know a valid cetane number range for used motor oil?

Its funny that back when I started driving (No, my first car was not crank start.) there was a recylced motor oil made in Long Beach, California called McMillan Ring-Free. It was not marketed as recycled, but as a premium racing oil. Few knew the difference.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 PM
46/71 Hybrid
Junior User
I'm partial to the blends and have settled on W82 which is 82% WMO and 18% Unleaded Gas (RUG). Every 7-8K miles I'll run 10-15 gallons of straight diesel but other than that, I'm completely diesel free.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run 50/50 motor oil wmo...

Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 AM
62RatRod
Junior User
My solution

First off y'all are all I'm the same ballpark.. My research from diesel tech school and just learning how to make power efficiently leads me to believe that the advantages of using bio diesel in whatever concentrations is econnomically smart as well more efficient, but used as a bi fuel with propane injection would yield the most power potential, fuel most economy, and the most environmentally friendly thing to do as well as taking advantage of all this natural gas we've been drilling for

Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
46/71 Hybrid
Junior User
Just a quick note to make sure you're clear that;

A) WMO is not bio-diesel
B) WVO does not have to be bio-diesel (blenders)

Old 05-20-2013, 12:36 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 46/71 Hybrid
Once Autozone/Advance/NAPA start buying used oil I'll be inclined to agree with you but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Playing devil's advocate to my own statement though, even if they started buying WMO tomorrow they still wouldn't be paying $4+ gallon (the comparable cost of diesel fuel) and I could afford to pay people for their oil and still save a considerable amount.
Unless oil gets a lot more expensive (highly unlikely in the short term), they will not pay for WMO, especially top dollars. If they were to do that, some people would come up with concoctions that look like oil, but contains mostly water.