1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

I bought a 97 f150 4.2L V6,I need HELP,I Hear many negative comments,PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 08:00 PM
sts2002
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a 97 f150 4.2L V6,I need HELP,I Hear many negative comments,PLEASE HELP

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 11-Dec-02 AT 09:11 PM (EST)]I bought a used 1997 Ford F-150 4.2L V-6 with 64,000 miles, It has a new paint job, but I guess I did not do my reasearch good enough, I am hearing so many negative comments, can anyone tell me what i need to do, the truck seems to run great, but poeple are saying the motor just goes at low miles, sling rods, leaking coolant, bad transmission, I am really scared, I won't even drive it now, I have had it 6 days, and i can't return it, is there any information like recalls, warranties that i can purchase, incase i have problems, I am so scared, I got it for a fair price, but i didn't find all this negative information out until after i bought it, my truck seems to do good, but i am terrified to drive it, in case it just blows up, please help me, this is the first ford i have ever owned, and 6 days later i won't drive it, it has been checked out and it is fine so far, please give me information if there is any, I would like to keep it, and i don't want to sell it to someone and something happen to it, i am so confused, PLEASE HELP ME.

PLEASE POST COMMENT TO ME

or
PLEASE REPLY to:
sts2002@peoplepc.com

and thanks

Is there anyway i can check my truck to see if it is one of the bad ones that has problems!!

P.S. What do i ask Ford when I call them!!!Please Help ME!!! :-(

Old 12-11-2002, 10:31 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Busy now, but I'll be back and comment.
Brian A

Old 12-12-2002, 02:09 AM
geoaigel
Elder User

Calm down!

There are problems witht he 4.2 liter engine, all right, but not ALL of them have it, only a small percentage. You will not find happy 4.2l owners post all over the place, telling you how great their engines run. You get to hear about peoples problems ONLY on these lists, that is their nature!

There are similar horrible stories from 4.2 and 5.4 liter engines. Eg. smoking on the 4.2 and piston slap on the 5.4. Go trhough the archives and you will see.

I can assure you that you will get good service out of your truck and that there is NOTHING you need to do but change the oil. Ford trucks are the best selling truck for a reason. Many companies have them as work trucks. If they would be that horrible, those companies would buy something else.

My friend has a 97 4.2 and 100k miles with no problems.

The transmissions are all the same on these trucks. I have an automatic behind my 4.6 liter and it has 155k miles.

The only thing I recommend to do is check if the timing cover gasket has been replaced. This was a recall on some years. Check if yours is one of them and have it done if it still needs it.

Hope this helps. Have a cold one and relax.

George

Old 12-12-2002, 06:19 AM
AjRagno
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Dec-02 AT 07:25 AM (EST)]The 4.2L is a great engine once you get past 2 very specific gaskets installed on the 1997 and some 1998 model year trucks.

What it breaks down to is that all 4.2L engines built prior to 01/15/98 received obsolete lower intake manifold gaskets. After 01/15/98 Ford began using a revised, thicker gasket as well as a different install procedure, that created a much more robust seal between the lower intake manifold and the engine block. When this original gasket fails (many have) coolant can leak externally and/or internally. If it leaks externally, the engine can over heat. If it leaks internally, coolant can enter a cylinder through an open valve and hydrolock the engine or throw a rod. If the coolant leaks into the oil, it can damage the bearing surfaces and create an engine knock. Both scenarios create the need for a rebuild.

The other problem is the engine front cover gasket (timing cover). Ford issued customer satisfaction program (recall) 99B29 in December, 1999 that included all 4.2L F-150s built though 12/31/96. The problem was that this recall left out all of those vehicles, with engines built 01/01/97 through 05/01/97 with the same gasket as those recalled.

Most of the engine failures now being reported are related to lower intake manifold gaskets leaking coolant into the engine. Most of these failures are also on engines that have had the timing cover gasket replaced. I think this has to do both with one problematic gasket already being replaced and also to do with older vehicles having higher mileage. Most failures seem to be between 80,000-100,000 miles. As time goes by, more engines will naturally fail.

My truck was built on 05/05/1997. I wasn't included in 99B29 but my timing cover gasket failed as did the lower intake manifold gaskets. Both a little underr 80,000 miles. The repair was about $1,200.00. If I had not had my truck towed to the delaer when my coolant level droped, starting the engine woud have certainly destroyed it. Most owners actually lose their engine because these coolant leaks can happen overnight. Shut the engine off one night and in the morning the crankcase is full of coolant or perhaps a cylinder as well.

I've also personally been in contact with over 300 owners in a similar situation; failed gaskets and or engine replacement; under 100,000 miles, most of the time.

Naturally, not all will fail. But, it is frequent enough to cause concern and create a situation where the owner should keep and eye on the coolant level.

Ford TSB #99-20-7 is very detailed about what the problems are and which engines are affected. Any 1997-1998 losing coolant needs to be inspected immediately.

Old 12-12-2002, 03:46 PM
BrianA
Postmaster

The two posts above pretty much spell it out. Verify about your timing cover gasket. Watching the coolant level? Well, unless you want to check it every time you get ready to drive it, I'd say you just get in and go. If something fails, well it failed. You could worry yourself crazy (sounds like you are) over some of these issues.
Yes, from what I have read, the early yers had some problems. But, not all will fail with these problems. My truck (2000) has 80,000 miles on it and it has never had any problem (other than the long ago removed factory cassette deck).
So, monitor what you would normally monitor, change you oil, air filter, plugs, etc. as required and just drive on. you already own the truck. RELAX and enjoy it!
Otherwise, sell it and buy something else. Life's too short to fret over what MIGHT happen to your truck engine.

Brian A

Old 12-13-2002, 11:15 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi I work at a Ford dealer so post your vin and I can run it on OASIS to see if the gaskets were changed. Also these engines are notorius for the EGR ports getting clogged. Go to the 4.2 forum for more info as I have posted about this many times. Just change your oil regularly, use motorcraft FL-400s oil filter, and drive on

Old 12-19-2002, 04:42 AM
Gamecockjimmy
New User

I've got a 99 with the 4.2L, with 77k on it. I have not had any problems with it. Most miles are highway miles, I just keep up on the PM what my Ford Quick Lube guy tells me is needed my truck gets! I'm very happy with my 4.2. The only thing I would add is that I have to run high octane fuel or I get a lot of knocking and pinging. I'm seriuosly thinking of changing the coil, plugs and wires to somthing hotter.
Merry Christmas :-X12

Old 12-28-2002, 09:31 PM
Biersg
New User

Howdy,
I have had several ford trucks in my life. I seemed to have very little trouble with them. In fact there were a couple of them we couldnt kill if we tried. The latest one though I bought in 97 with the v-6. At 73000 the gasket went and seperated and coolant leaked into the cylinder while driving it and pow. (at the time I had lost some coolant but figured that it was due to normal wear and tear. It didnt lose but maybe a quart. I did go ahead at this time and use a flush kit on the coolant so as to keep it tidy.) That was all she wrote. I am now 3000$ lighter in the pocket (cause they sure as heck werent gonna warranty it.) and 6 months down the road and am now hearing the same noises and am scared to death. I cant afford another one. When the engine went the first time, I took it in and even ford came and looked at it and said they had never heard of it happening before. Now I read where it seems to have been an epidemic. Why would they tell me this. I have trusted them for so many years.

Anybody have any ideas what to do?

I am also hearing a tick, and am going to take the advice of having the oil changed again. It has only been 1500 miles. I will do anything not to go through this again.

Thanks,
George

Old 12-30-2002, 09:40 AM
ctcq57a
New User

It seems my timing chain gasket blew last Friday. I have 69000 miles. Has anyone had Ford pick up tab? How did they approach dealer? Any help would be appreciated!

Old 12-30-2002, 06:10 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

CTC,all i have to say is good luck with Ford.They will most likely throw you to the curve.Be prepared on how they will give you every excuse to not fix it!Sorry about your truck tho.Good luck!:-X23

Old 01-01-2003, 06:32 PM
geoaigel
Elder User

Old 12-10-2005, 12:00 AM
shawneedog1
New User
Me Too

i have a 2000 4.2 v6. Is this a common problem in this model as well as the earlier ones. Mine has 104000 and i drive alot. Should I buy a toyota???

Old 12-10-2005, 07:55 AM
03redstx
Tuned
My buddy's dad bought a '97 4.2 5spd, work truck. Bought it in Jan of '96 when both body styles were out. He worked it hard, had no problems until last year it started knocking. Sure enough the oil pan was full of coolant and most of the bottom end. Rod went through the side of the block. 178,000 miles.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:59 AM
GreenHornet79
Junior User
You might want to try a CarFax report to see if the previous owner had any difficulties. If you haven't done this it might be able to give you some clue as to if your truck had a troubled past that might be passed on to you. Don't dwell too much on the negative comments. Check an "non-bias" source like a Consumer Reports book to get a good perspective. Good luck. If you need help with the CarFax post your VIN, I have an account.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:57 AM
bcoover
Junior User
shawneedog1

You shall buy Ford.

Quick Reply: I bought a 97 f150 4.2L V6,I need HELP,I Hear many negative comments,PLEASE HELP