1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

to the guys using the cadillac steering column

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:11 PM
1955effie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to the guys using the cadillac steering column

Hi , My neighbor has a 1989 seville(I think it's front wheel drive ) that has a nice column. What kind of a hassle would this be to mount into my 1955 f100 ? I have installed the volare type front end and would like to know if this will work . I saw that the thread on steering columns mentions the 86 - 88 caddy but it does not mention the model . Thanks

Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you will find any FWD column to be too short for a truck. I had a nice GM column out of an 86 Buick Century and could not use it for that reason (it was 27 inches long), although No-Limit (I think) came out with a "shorty" column bracket fairly recently that might make it useable. It secures the column so that you don't need a floor mount and can run the linkage off the bottom of the column through the floor or firewall instead of mounting the column at the floor.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:36 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Yes, the Sevilles were front wheel drive. Is it an airbag column? I think GM went to airbags somewhere in the late 80's early 90's but I can't remember which year.

Are you going to have a 4sp auto trans? The Caddy column is set up for a 4sp auto so it will have the extra detent in the shifter.

Bobby

Old 02-05-2007, 03:58 PM
1955effie
Senior User
It doesn't appear to have an airbag because it has the wooden caddy logo in the center of the wheel . The closest measurement that I can come up with is 40 in from the top of the steering wheel to the end of the shaft . This is a rough measurement but it is close . If the seville type isn't what is listed in the thread what kind of body type would work . THANKS . P.S . HEY VERN COLD ENOUGH TODAY OR WHAT ?BRRRRR.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I'm not sure which models the article refers to. I do know that the Eldorado and Seville were the same platform, the DeVilles's were all the same platform *coupe, sedan, etc) All of these were front wheel drive. Then there were the big rear wheel drive Fleetwoods.
My guess is the article refers to the FWD cars. They were all 4sp automatics and should have the detents for Park, Reverse, Nuetral, D2, D1, 2, 1.

If the price is right and you have a 4sp auto then I don't see why it wouldn't work

Bobby

Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1955effie
It doesn't appear to have an airbag because it has the wooden caddy logo in the center of the wheel . The closest measurement that I can come up with is 40 in from the top of the steering wheel to the end of the shaft . This is a rough measurement but it is close . If the seville type isn't what is listed in the thread what kind of body type would work . THANKS . P.S . HEY VERN COLD ENOUGH TODAY OR WHAT ?BRRRRR.
I'm shivering! High of 6 yesterday here.
A more meaningful measurement would be from the nut that holds the steering wheel on to the end of the column shaft. If that measurement is in the neighborhood of 30-32 inches it should work. That's where I took the measurement on the 86 Buick column. If the 89 is not long enough and you still want a Caddy column look for a RWD column out of a Fleetwood as Bobby suggested or find an older RWD Seville. I think you might be better off with a Chevy column. I tried using a '69 Caddy column in a project years ago and I had a problem finding a steering wheel adapter for it because it was also telescopic. Perhaps they are more readily available now but I'd check first.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:13 AM
theGman
Posting Guru
I used to have a '69 Cad convert. and I loved that telescopic column!

Old 02-06-2007, 05:04 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I'm running a tilt and telescoping from a 72 Coupe De Ville. Its a bit pointless because the column is too long, I have to keep it all the way retracted.

Most of the Caddy columns are going to be tilt and telescoping. I've seen some that weren't but most of them are.

The older RWD Seville's were 76-79 units, they were square and boxy and sort of looked like a nova with fancy trim...yuck

We've had a break in our winter...It was 70 degress here today.....AHHHH

Bobby