1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

infamous door weather strip problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 AM
ama chur
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infamous door weather strip problems

Hi Everyone,

I have limited access to a computer Anyway I too have problems with finding proper fitting w/s. (See my gallery) My door edges stick out nearly an inch! I've done the usual search and read all the posts about the subject and used some of the w/s mentioned (and even PM'ed some of you). However, I am obviously doing something wrong. The w/s was installed 2-3 months ago and it never compressed sadly enough.

At this point any additional advice/tips/comments would be really appreciated. The truck is done with the exception of the weather stripping and I'm too ashamed of driving it around with the doors protruding into the next lane!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which door surface is the adhesive backing on?

Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Gorgeous paint job!

My '52 has Dennis Carpenter seals and while it's pretty darn hard to close the doors, they are gradually taking a set, getting easier and easier. The good part is the doors don't rattle at all!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 AM
fking1
Elder User
You can buy thin WS, but, I know you are too late for that. I used the regular WS from Carpenter and had the same problem as you. Using paper strips and closing them in the door WS, the tight spots can be identified. I then used a sharp box cutter, razor blade and rotary file in a Dremel to cut and grind the WS. Doing this over & over for several hours I got reasonably good doors fit.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Gorgeous paint job!
I agree! What color blue is it?

Old 02-05-2007, 03:45 PM
ama chur
New User
Randy Jack - I mostly applied the w/s onto the "lip" portion of the door. You pose a good question though. I wonder if it would make a difference if the w/s was applied onto the portion of the door where it goes into the cab as opposed to the door "lip/edge". I'll try the razor blade as a last resort.

The color is one my painter buddy developed. I just told him I wanted a deep blue that pops in the sunlight. He did some samples, I gave him my input, he got upset with me for being too picky, I persisted, he added some candy to make it pop and I've been happy ever since.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
jimhackney
Senior User
It may be too late for this, but an old trick is to put a gob of playdoh on the flanges where you want to put the weatherstrip, then close to door to a good "fit" or "flush", and this will tell you how much space you have for the weatherstrip. Might help in determining the thickness of w/s you want to buy. OBTW, looked at your gallery, good looking truck.