6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

AutoWeek Interview with Super Duty engineer Peter Reyes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Ry_Trapp0
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoWeek Interview with Super Duty engineer Peter Reyes

Originally Posted by AutoWeek
Since late 2003, Ford engineers have been abusing the new 6.4-liter twin-turbo diesel engine in the redesigned 2008 Super Duty pickup. They've been using every trick in the book trying to make it break. They've pulled heavy loads up steep hills in minus-40-degree weather. They've punished it by hauling trailers in broiling desert heat. And they've run test engines nonstop for thousands of hours on a dynamometer.

The man cracking the whip on the new Super Duty is chief engineer Pete Reyes. Reyes, 43, is under immense pressure to deliver a flawless truck. Ford needs perfection to atone for the previous Super Duty's troublesome diesel engine as well as to fend off fresh challenges from General Motors, Dodge and Toyota. Reyes spoke with Automotive News staff reporter Richard Truett.

I've heard that your engineers have put 10 million test miles on the new Super Duty. Tell us about that.

It's 6 million dyno miles and 4 million real vehicle miles. We've had fleets and fleets of trucks, hundreds of trucks, with this engine. And we've had fleets of trucks we've run internationally, piling on big miles. Some of our known customers have had trucks in extreme conditions, up in Alaska and down in Houston. So they are out piling on miles for us now.

We also went to existing customers, about 15 different fleets running the 6.0-liter, and we took black-box data from them. We needed to understand all of the operating and environmental conditions that people really see.

Going out and seeing how the trucks were being used in the real world was a bit eye-opening for us. We tailored the druability, length and heat of the tests to real world conditions.

In the 10 million miles, did anything break? How did you make the Super Duty better?

In the first million miles, we had a lot of things we wanted to fix. After that, the number of incidences of things you want to address decreases. You know you are in good shape if you have a pretty aggressive ramp-down of things you've got to fix. We've been in good shape. You can monitor whether you've got issues replaced by other issues. But this one came down as we expected it to.

The new engine has technology we've not seen before on a Ford diesel engine, such as piezo fuel injectors and twin turbochargers. Was that the reason for the strenuous testing?

Absolutely. The new technology probably dominated the testing. When you get the engine right, then the next tests are to ensure that the cooling system and everything else on the vehicle works right.

Is this the new standard of testing for Ford trucks?

As we develop diesel engines in the environment of extreme measures for emissions, I would expect the 10 million miles to be a standard for Ford.

Did you have a chance to crawl under the new Toyota Tundra at the Detroit auto show?

I looked at the Tundra. I would say there's a no-excuse lineup out of Toytoa now. How well it sells is going to be up to the marketplace. I can't predict that.
AutoWeek: Powerstroke Piles on Test Miles
well that makes me feel a lot better about the 6.4. what do you guys think?

Old 02-03-2007, 06:23 PM
cdtruckn
Senior User
I Hope So

My 04 was a replacement for my 03 truck
I just Sold my 04 today
Ordered a 08 last Wednesday

Old 02-03-2007, 09:06 PM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
its definatley promising....great job

Old 02-04-2007, 02:37 AM
SuperDutyJ4500
Elder User
That definitely gives potential buyers a feeling of, wow, this should be an awesome truck. I hope that is the case.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:54 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, and I seen someone else post this in another thread somewhere... yes the abused the heck out of it, but how much "real world" testing did they actually do? Not much from what i have read, and can tell from that article and any others I have seen. yes they put it through it's paces in commercial applications, and abusive applications, but let soccer mom get a hold on it, or even a farmer that fires it up drives it to the sale barn 5 miles away shuts it off for a couple hours fires it up drives to the co op, has coffee then to the farm again and never gets it warmed up and watch that emissions equipment take a dump in a hurry. What they didn't tell you in that article is they tested the you know what out of the 6.0 too, and it passed all of them, yet we all know the problems that happened when it came out. I figure that if we are lucky they will have the bugs worked out of the 6.4 about time for the even newer emissions to come out in 2010.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:32 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
I figure that if we are lucky they will have the bugs worked out of the 6.4 about time for the even newer emissions to come out in 2010.
2010, all hell is going to break loose then.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Ry_Trapp0
Junior User
it says they logged 4 million real world miles, so i would imagine they would have tossed some on/off 10 minute drives in there somewhere.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:50 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Ry_Trapp0
it says they logged 4 million real world miles, so i would imagine they would have tossed some on/off 10 minute drives in there somewhere.
Nope I read an article earlier talking about what vehicles were being tested, not one of them was someone that uses it like a car, every single one was used like hot shots (delivering trailers that sort of thing), fleets that use them as deliver, and work vehicles, and then putting them through the paces pulling heavy loads, and running them in extreme conditions. But no families, that just run them on occasion etc. They all were being used by people that average 50,000+ miles per year not the people that run them the national average of 12000miles per year. I really don't doubt the base engines ability to work just fine, it's the new particulate filters that everyone is having problems with, and not able to keep working for any length of time and they are expensive to maintain when they go bad, or need serviced. And this isn't just a Ford issue. Dodge is having the same thing with the new cummins, they did do some "real" world testing, and they aren't getting any mileage on them before the particulate filters and egr's start causing problems. And for reference, Ford and Dodge are using the same particulate filter from what I have been able to find out (GM is using one from a different company but only 2 companies even make them, so not much choice there) well if Dodge is admitting to having a problem with that filter, and ford isn't admitting to it, that tells me one thing only (and it's not that dodge is a worse vehicle even though I don't like the dodges) it tells me Ford isn't being honest with the testing.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:57 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Let me add this just for a further thought for you. EPA mandated those engines be used after Oct 1, they pushed that back to Jan 1, after EVERY single OEM went in and said we can't make these things work we need more time, ok Jan 1 came around and non of them including Ford is actually pushing them out the door, and EPA had backed off yet again saying well they could use any engines that were completed adn able to be fired by Jan 1 as a carry over engine (all the engine manufactures were working double shifts 24/7 to get as many built as possible before that deadline) If Ford really had it tested that much and it was working that well, they wouldn't have had a problem meeting the deadlines, they didn't have a shortage of people wanting them, unlike the class 8 truck market that wants no part of this stuff. So they put it off cause they still aren't sure it's going to be a good thing, the article is more of a PR deal to reassure people that it's not going to be a repeat of the 6.0 deal, and it isn't really that much different.
You really have to read between the lines, well that and the fact I work in a industry that is actually involved with the particulate filters, and have actually seen prototype after prototype being shipped, and worked on, and hear the real outcomes coming from the factories as to what is happening in the testing and what they are doing with it. it's not the rosey picture that they are putting out as press releases.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 02-04-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Ry_Trapp0
Junior User
damn, good point! althought this is a great idea by ford, non-stop advertising about how this engine has 10K miles of testing in it.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:34 AM
rimshoes
Senior User
re

Originally Posted by Crash687
2010, all hell is going to break loose then.
I agree, Ford, Cheby and Dodge have seen just the beginnings. You know they are already working on the real solution for 2010 and I am fairly sure that this truck is not it. I think in 2010 Toyota will rear its ugly head with an environmentally friendly diesel. They are putting more goodies in their big trucks every year.

I just hope Ford looses this body style. Even cheby tried to look like the 2005 through 2007 model years for Ford. It was a good try, but turned out bad.

Ford had it figured out. They just dropped a damn good looking body style, the first time they have done this (they usually keep it for about 7 years) and come up with this. Dodge has to be laughing their *** off, Ford just promoted their trucks with this Dodge like look.

People with the 2007 6.0 seem to be pretty quiet. I am guessing they are not having any problems ?

I have always had a wait and see attitude about all this. That is why i bought three 6.0's in 2005 when they were giving them away.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Gigante
Senior User
Originally Posted by rimshoes

Ford had it figured out. They just dropped a damn good looking body style, the first time they have done this (they usually keep it for about 7 years) and come up with this. Dodge has to be laughing their *** off, Ford just promoted their trucks with this Dodge like look.
I'm struggling to see the similarity between the look of the Dodge truck with its sloping hood and Ford's newest model. Unless you are referring to the larger grill which opens with the hood, the new Ford looks like an 05-07 with it's classic, well accepted, masculine Super Duty lines. I was actually relieved that Ford only made minor exterior changes to the new model. Now my 2007 won't look too dated when the 08's start going mainstream. This truck / 6.4 has the opportunity to save part of Ford's **** and reputation. I would be surprised if Ford drops the ball with this.