Sponsored by:

93 351 Stumble/Stall after first 3 min. hot or cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 04:56 PM
ftrucktough
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok gentlemen, and ladies...i've got a 1993 Bronco with 351w and E4OD. About a year ago, (when it was raining out i might add), after leaving a parking lot after it sat for a few minutes, it stumbled while accelerating, and simply blamed it on old cap/rotor/wires. Well, it didn't do that at all, for about 9 months, meanwhile i had upgraded the coil, wires, cap, rotor with a hypertech coil and ford racing parts. Anywho..one morning a couple months ago, after backing out of the garage, it stumbled at a speed of 5MPH, didn't stall, just stumbled, and then stopped. I just ignored it. If i remember correctly, it was damp out at the time. Well, another damp day this past week, months after the last occurence, i was leaving work and going around a corner in the parking lot, suddenly i had no power steering and realized the engine stalled. I hit neutral, and it restarted right away. After that, it stumbled a couple of times while accelerating, and after a few minutes of driving, it continues to run and drive like a dream. by the way, when it doesn't have the intermittent stumble, it runs fine, and my gas mileage has not changed. It's continued to do this all week, even after it sits only for 30 minutes or so, and then leave, it will stumble. However, for teh first time today...when it stalled, it would not restart easily. It cranked and sputtered a bit (moving 10MPH in neutral, just like the first time, only it had started right away the first time), and i played with teh gas, and it didn't seem to do much until i just put it to the floor, and it fired and stayed running. Since the very first occurence over a year ago, i have changed coil/cap/rotor/plugs/wires/cts/tps/and have put on aftermarket exhaust. I would guess that none of these are playing a role in my problem, as it's the same as a year ago before these things were changed, and i didn't change these things recently, it was done a while ago. I kinda thought maybe the EGR was being crazy on me, so after it stalled and wouldn't start, i got out a screwdriver and opened up the EGR valve completely after it was idling good. When i would open it, it would just miss and run rough, nothing like it does when i have the problem.

SO what i'm asking is...has anybody come across this sort of thing? i have no check engine light (and yes the bulb works). I'm willing to hear any advice, i work at a dodge dealer and they are a lot different than my wonderful ford, and unfortunately nobody is really any help there, never experienced this.

so please help, and thank you very much in advance.

Gary

Old 12-27-2002, 10:30 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 12-29-2002, 03:43 PM
b_dub
Senior User

check all of the tubes/hoses that lead to/from the smog pump. I had a similar problem four wheeling, got to within a mile of where we were suppose to camp and my 351 stumbled and then stalled. After sitting and scratching my head for 15 minutes or so and turned the key and it started right up. 5 minutes after that it started to stumble so I floored it to try and make it to camp. After looking at it a while I felt some air coming from the back side of the drivers side head. It turned out to be a loose bolt on the tube that crosses over between the back of heads. So air was leaking out, so a cardboard gasket and some loc-tight fixed it right up. 15,000 miles on a cardboard gasket and still no problems. Hope that helps.

Old 12-29-2002, 11:18 PM
irishred
New User

88' 351. stalls sometimes after driving for a while but starts right back up. if it doesn't stall the rpm drops and climbs iraticly. also, i noticed some oil in the air filter just replaced today. what causes oil to come into the filter from the breather?