hunting

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:11 PM
EFD_FF
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile hunting

hey,

I know it's kind of late, but do any of you guys hunt? If so, what? Also, how did ya do this year, any record-setting bucks or elk, maybe some moose or caribou? Just wondering

I mostly hunt upland game, and ducks, killed a nice-ish 5x5 whitetail this year, and I'm big into calling coyotes, especially this time of year.

Mike S.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:59 PM
hackwillie
Junior User
I hunt mainly big game, birds when I get the chance. I didn't get anything this year. Passed up a couple of small two point blacktails and never got a shot at the elk we were on. We got a couple of animals in our group though so there is some meat in the freezer. My minds on steelhead now. Been kind of tough to find good water all winter but the rivers are finally in good shape and the fishings been pretty decent. I have a buddy that is big into coyote calling, he lives in the tri-cities. Sounds like fun, can't wait to get over there to join him.

Rob

Old 02-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Glad to find this thread. I am new to FTE and Washington State, but not to hunting. However, I would like any insight to hunting and fishing in the peninsula.

I can shoot it, hook it or in the case of clams 'dig it', but I could use some help from locals as far as the 'Spots'.

I could really use some insight into the habits of these little black tail deer. They seem easy to discover, but hard to get a shot on. My guess thus far is to use a tree stand....Please help me out.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
They love apple trees, maybe get permission to set a line down the side of an orchard.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:53 AM
hackwillie
Junior User
If you have the patience for a tree stand, go for it. Let me know if you do any good. If you can't find an orchard to sit on, the best bet is to find a clearcut and look for deer. I like to beat the brush but only because it makes me feel better. If you've never hunted blacktail before, a little piece of advise, don't pass up a three point because it doesn't look very big.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
Have the apples and pears on the property...I guess I will just have to sit on the roof and see what I can get a shot at. Perhaps sometime I will get the time to go out and do real hunting.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:02 AM
redhawkssh44
Senior User
PlacerMike, I have been in the state since 95 and still haven't found any body to go hunting with. If anyone with experience with Blacktails is interested in teaching a Colorado trained hunter I am interested. Also my son really wants to go. I am not real skilled only because when I finally got old enough to carry a weapon in Colorado my dad lost the permition to hunt on the land we had hun ted for years. Public land in southern Colorado was very over hunted back then and has only gotten worse. Any way if any one is interested in forming a group this fall, you can count me in.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by redhawkssh44
PlacerMike, I have been in the state since 95 and still haven't found any body to go hunting with. If anyone with experience with Blacktails is interested in teaching a Colorado trained hunter I am interested. Also my son really wants to go. I am not real skilled only because when I finally got old enough to carry a weapon in Colorado my dad lost the permition to hunt on the land we had hunted for years. Public land in southern Colorado was very over hunted back then and has only gotten worse. Any way does not mattone is interested in forming a group this fall, you can count me in.
I bought a house in Sequim three years ago, but just moved here last October. To be very honest, I think them mullies/blacktails are more trouble than they are worth. The whitetails are a much better bag.

I did get a three pointer deer and a bull Elk this past fall.I will have to admit that I got the deer on our property, and was very lucky with the bull.

Hunting has to do with instinct, and finding your target has to do with a whole lot of luck.

I would be happy to help you bag a deer this next season. I plan on hunting with my bow.

Just remember that you have to think like the animal you are stalking in order to get them!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:12 AM
redhawkssh44
Senior User
I don't have a bow. I guess that my years learning to hunt open country is the biggest problem I have with Black tails. Ultimatly, it is the lack of familularity with people who hunt here in Washington that has prevented me from going out. I have tried to go with some of my Nationl Guard member but they only wanted to get drunk. I am not really a tee totler, but when I go humting the alcahol stays at camp is is touch only a little. I want to be able to get up early, get into the field and on animals. If I don't get an animal because I pass on a shot or don't see any, it is still a good hunt. If I don't get an animal because my hunting party won't get up, then it was a wast of my time and energy.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
I can hunt either way. I got a bow because it was too easy with a gun. Basically you have to have a 40yd shot with a bow....With a rifle you can have a 1000yd shot. I decided to make it harder on myself.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:58 AM
redhawkssh44
Senior User
Thats why I carry a 44 Mag, in the thick under growth on this side of the mountain, 100 yard shots are rare. If I can use my hand gun I will. If the area has a few shooting lanes that are over 100 yards then the rifle is the way to go. i have thought about taking up archery just to extend the amount of time I can go hunting. Not to mention the fact that I do not have to worry about someone taking a shot at me from far away because they hear somethig but can't see it.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by redhawkssh44
I don't have a bow. I guess that my years learning to hunt open country is the biggest problem I have with Black tails. Ultimatly, it is the lack of familularity with people who hunt here in Washington that has prevented me from going out. I have tried to go with some of my Nationl Guard member but they only wanted to get drunk. I am not really a tee totler, but when I go humting the alcahol stays at camp is is touch only a little. I want to be able to get up early, get into the field and on animals. If I don't get an animal because I pass on a shot or don't see any, it is still a good hunt. If I don't get an animal because my hunting party won't get up, then it was a wast of my time and energy.
I agree with your thoughts. When I hunt, I usually go by myself.Many times people want to get a 'Hunting Trip' together, and it turns out to be a party. Parties are fine, but you will only catch a buzz.

If a person really wants to put meat in their freezer, they need to think like the animal. Remember wind, and realize that scent is very important.I have been known to rub local vegetation on my body so that the deer did smell the human scent .

I hope this helps

Old 03-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Rusty49
Junior User
Flies it dies, brown its down type deal, I like to hunt anything. Didnt get my deer this year, mainly hunted breaks of the Snake but hunt parents place back on the coast for lil blacky's. Do alot of pheasant hunting here in Pullman, wasnt very good this year but its still fun.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:10 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
Like your thought process Rusty. The only thing I add is...'If you kill it, eat it!.
No Trophies in this house.