Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel system parts sizing, GPH and PSI

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel system parts sizing, GPH and PSI

My engine is stock, but I'd like to upsize things where possible.

I'm replacing the fuel pump and the filter assembly based on my recent use of contaminated fuel, running it out of fuel, and needing to prime the fuel system.

For flow ratings, I estimated at 10 miles per gallon and 60 miles per hour... Just for easy math. I think the truck gets better mileage (Although I haven't run enough fuel through it to find out.) And speed limits for me are a rough suggestion of how fast to drive... My actual speed limit is what the truck will do in top gear with the pedal to the floor.

That equates out to 6 gallons per hour...

Kicking it up a notch (BAM!) let's go for 8 MPG and 80 MPH. (Maybe I've gotta tow something and it has to be there by yesterday.)

That equates out to 10 gallons per hour...

Unless I'm missing something or my calculations are incorrect, I don't need much flow. I'm seeing filter elements that'll run 45 GPH... And that's just in the Low Flow section. Racor's biggest spin on type filter runs 250 GPH.

I'll probably upsize it to a 30 or 45 GPH, but I could make do with their smallest unit which is a 15 GPH, right?

And the fuel pumps that people are recommending are the Holley Reds. They run 91 GPH @ 4 PSI. The flow is great, but what about the pressure?

The filter 30 GPH filter will drop the pressure by 0.31PSI when clean. The 45 GPH filter will drop the pressure by 0.61 PSI also when clean...

Once the filter plugs up, it'll drop more.

How can I calculate pressure drop over a distance of pipe. And how much pressure does the injection pump actually need? Will too much pressure damage it? I may want to upsize the pump not for flow, but for more pressure.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Ben-jamin
Tuned
if your going to run electric pumps i've found that generally the more gpm the more amps they pull so keep that one in mind. can tell you that, in stock form 3/8 line/pipe is more than adequate to supply fuel for your engine w/ 5/16 return.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Since the fuel is also lubrication and cooling for the fuel system components, you are looking at about 30 GPH and 3 to 5 PSI for pressure to the IP.

More flow just means the IP and injectors stay cooler and the fuel is filtered more times before it gets injected.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
Since the fuel is also lubrication and cooling for the fuel system components, you are looking at about 30 GPH and 3 to 5 PSI for pressure to the IP.

More flow just means the IP and injectors stay cooler and the fuel is filtered more times before it gets injected.
I think I'll upgrade to the 7 PSI Holley Blue pump, or perhaps a 14 PSI Black...

I'm thinking it'd be a bad idea to use my original idea of putting EFI pumps in. (Either In-Tank types or from something like an Econoline which I believe is external.)

Old 02-03-2007, 03:47 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Holly Red is a proven performer in this application. No sense in throwing money out the window for a blue. You might need that extra jing for IP/Injs. Depending on how bad your fuel contamination was.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:22 AM
Cool6.9DieselGuy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pele
I think I'll upgrade to the 7 PSI Holley Blue pump, or perhaps a 14 PSI Black...

I'm thinking it'd be a bad idea to use my original idea of putting EFI pumps in. (Either In-Tank types or from something like an Econoline which I believe is external.)
I heard you have to use a regulator w/ the blue pump and the red pump apparently puts out enough fuel, the injection pump is what does the work, the regular fuel pump only needs to supply the injection pump(IP) w/ a couple psi

when you put a new filter on a great tip I learned from this forum is to fill the filter up w/ some diesel kleen before u install it instead of filling it w/ just plain diesel, this will clean your injectors way better than running it in the tank(even though you should put some in your tanks periodicaly to keep them clean also as maintenance) and will not harm your motor at all.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:27 AM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no expert

im no expert but i fill my filter with ATF when i put it on

Ray

Old 02-03-2007, 06:40 AM
flyboyd8
Senior User
If you are interested!!!!!

I have an extra Stanadyne Fuel Manager 100, It is rated for up to 350HP. This is the unit that John Deere, New Holland, Cat and all the other major companies are using to filter and pump fuel. (this is the perfect pump fpr our IDI's). It is a Filter Housing with a 10 PSI electric pump on the top of it instead of a hand prime pump, I also have the 80 Watt fuel heater installed in it (Heater has built in thermostat).. It currently has a 4" 5 micron filter on it and 6" filters are available. I bought it from my local Stanadyne dealer when I converted my truck to WVO. but I found I didn't need it so It has just been setting on my shelf.

The unit lists for over $475.00 with the heater and pump. I gave $358.00 for it as part of a package of thing I got from them. I would give you a heck of a deal!!!!! if you are interested or to anyone on the board as far as that goes. It would be perfect for you Bio users because it has the 80 Watt heater, but I realived it wasn't a big enough heater for my aplication so I never installed it.

PM me and we can talk price w/ shipping to your door. I can have photos of it for you also.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 AM
flyboyd8
Senior User
Forgot to mention it has the clear bowl with drain on the bottom of it also.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Ben-jamin
if your going to run electric pumps i've found that generally the more gpm the more amps they pull so keep that one in mind. can tell you that, in stock form 3/8 line/pipe is more than adequate to supply fuel for your engine w/ 5/16 return.
I'd be using 30 amp relays triggered off of the fuel solenoid. Positive supply would probably be direct from the battery, so that's not a problem. Red and blue pumps are rated for less than 20 amps, so wiring shouldn't be that hard to get.

Originally Posted by flyboyd8
If you are interested!!!!!
I may be. Lemmie price out some of my other stuff and see what happens. I'll PM you if I'm interested.