1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Installing floor pans and cab corners in Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:42 AM
askopp
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing floor pans and cab corners in Maryland

I'm getting close to being ready to install new pans and cab corners in ole Jenny, my 66 F-100. This is a task that I have no experience with, and is frankly beyond my skills, but I'd love to learn and assist (and pay in cash or beer currency if necessary). I wonder if anyone in Maryland (Baltimore/Annapolis/Eastern Shore area) might be able or interested in taking the lead in this project with me. The truck runs and drives fine. Or, maybe you have recommendations of shops or people in the area.

Thanks much in advance,
Andrew

Old 02-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Andrew, sounds to me like you should look for a replacement cab. Paying someone with beer can only lead to trouble, I would know that first hand. The cab is coming off
my slick here very soon and so far it is somewhat easy all bolts are put into zip lock bags then lables attached, Just dont leave them in the sun I'll let you know how many guys it takes to get the cab off mine. I am very lucky in that I was able to find 2 very nice trucks one to drive and one to restore and best of all is the wife does not mind. Red is my favorite color. Your truck is just like the one my dads friend had when I was just a little guy. Not sure what color i am going to paint my slick red why yes I'll have 2. Good luck on your truck. Bill W

Old 02-02-2007, 11:25 PM
airharley
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out the welding forum on this site. They will have a bunch of helpful info on how to do this. I am a more hands on guy myself experimenting with new trades. So far I have been able to do most of the weldin of parts here and there with the exception of the aluminum fan shroud I fab'd. Good thing I know a bunch of people who weld. With welding in floor panels take your time. The best welder I have used to date is a flux core wire feed lincoln. The flux core will splatter more then a gas MIG welder does. But it does what I need it to. I also highly recommend an auto dark welding helmet. It alows you to see where you are going to weld unlike the dark helmets. I was all over the place before I started using one and had a lot of clean up work to do because of it. You shouldn't weld long beads since it will warp the metal. Just a tack and move to a different location to allow the metal to cool and keep from over heating. Some refer to it as stitch welding if I remember right. I am by no means an expert since I am still learning it. To figure out heat and wire speed use a couple of practice pieces to get the technique down before you try to weld with replacement panels. It is a lot less expensive to mess up a few sheets of steel then a molded panel. So take your time and don't be afraid to search around for more help.