Sponsored by:

1985 Big Bronco Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
QBNRDNK
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1985 Big Bronco Needs Help

Hi I own a 1985 full size Bronco automatic 4X4. It has been giving me problems for a while. It starts only in neutral.Engine runs good while in neutral,But Put it in gear and it start bucking, I mean the engine will power up and drop on and on,put it back in neutral and its ok, I have changed the TPS,the FPR, fuel pump,fuel filter. I thought it may have water in the fuel but found none. I get a light in the dash (EMISSIONS) could the catalitic converter be clogged? sometimes it decides to run good for a while then gets the the problrm back , its like it get power ,then loses it ,up and back again..Thanks..JB

Old 07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
72f250CS
Senior User
when it goes weird is it smoking? Maybe sucking up some tranny fluid through vac solenoid(I think it should have one). cat may be an issue. maybe something in the ignition? Id start looking at everything. not really sure, Sorry I cant be much more help, my 85 is emission-less..

Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I assume this is a 5.0 motor and efi right. go to Ford Fuel Injection and learn how to pull codes. start there and let is know what you find.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 AM
QBNRDNK
New User
Hi Kemicalburns.... Thank you for answering. I have not owned a ford before this since High school in 1970 ,and it was a 1950 Ford Woodie. I am not sure of the Engine and transmission size. I have the vin numbers, if I gave them to you would you be able to tell? If the Transmission was over servced,would that make it go and stop go and stop? like a bucking bronco. I am going to remove and empty the cat as soon as I go back to Tennessee and see if that helps thanks for all your Help, 1FMDU15N2FLA91811

Old 07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
go to the website above and read up on pulling codes. knowing what motor/tranny is in the rig is very important. when you pop the hood and see an efi setup then that will be a 5.0 (302). if it has a carb on it , more then likely its a 5.8 (351w). 85 was the first year for efi in bronco/f150s running the 5.0 engine. might need a tune up with copper plugs and new wires/ cap and rotor.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:09 PM
QBNRDNK
New User
Thanks, Yes its an EFI engine,so it's a 5.0 good. The automatic tranny has a hump in the pan, would that be a C6? I use the Bronco more like a truck,so I am thinking of taking the fiberglass top off, The glass on the tailgate dont work anyway. If anyone wants the top? ..Thanks again...JB

Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
the auto could and most likly is the AOD. if you can report back what the gear selector shows it should read P R N OD D 1.

does that fiberglass top have side windows that slide open? if so we can talk.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:09 AM
QBNRDNK
New User
Thanks, Yes I think it is OD but I know its overdrive, I love the way the RPM GO down on the highway, Passing gear is pretty rough,not smooth, but hey ,I dont plan to drive it long didtances any more, I drove it from Miami Springs, Florida to West Point ,Tennessee about 3 years ago, then from BNA to west point at least every other month. I now use it around town, and in the woods, It ha become a farm truck. The top has solid side windows..sorry. I wont get to work on it for an ther two months,when I go back,if I dont get the lay off first..I work at AA..Thanks..JB

Old 08-09-2008, 02:40 PM
QBNRDNK
New User
BIG 85 Bronco, needs Help

Thanks for all your Help. I am headed to Tennessee on the 13th of this month,I will try all your sigestions,and let you know how I did. Thanks AGAIN...JB