Sponsored by:

duel batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 07:28 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duel batteries

Does anyone have duel batteries in there bronco? It looks like my 96 has the hookups all ready to put in another battery. I would like to have the extra juice for a winch and other things. The hookups are on my stock wiring harness. If there not for a extra battery does anyone know what they are for. Thanks

Old 01-05-2003, 09:31 PM
firedude
New User
duel batteries

Old 01-06-2003, 08:42 AM
90EBBronco
Senior User
duel batteries

I have been considering a dual battery setup to support my sound system. I have a 4000watt amplifier that makes the battery gauge dance every time the bass hits. From what I have researched it is recommended that upgrade to a higher output alternator and run the batteries in series so the alternator will charge both batteries. That is all I know for now. If I do this set up I will let you know how it goes. Good Luck and keep me posted if you go ahead with your dual battery setup.

KJ:-X12

Old 01-06-2003, 07:52 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
duel batteries

Just to inform, I work in an custom electrical shop where I,ve installed several duel battery systems. What we do is use a 150 amp isolation diod rack, they usually cost around $100 or more depending where you get one. You hook the alternator feed wire to the middle terminal and the two pos. battery posts to the out side ones, One battery per side, that way when you charge the batterys. It charges both batterys at the same time, but when you use the batterys you only use one of them depending on how you hook them up. I would keep the truck itself on one battery, and hook the winch and/or sterio equipment. That way if you run that battery dead, you still have one battery to start the truck ect. Sorry for the long reply though. Hope this helps things, Just trying to inform. All the trucks that I have built like this have never come back except for new batterys to be installed.

82 Bronco 302cu Lariat
83 Bronco 351w (wrecked) parting out, need the money.

Milk sucks!
Got Beer?

Old 01-06-2003, 08:12 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
duel batteries

Running the batteries in series would not be a good idea since that would give you 24 volts. I'm sure most of the wiring, electronics, lights, etc... wouldn't like that too much.

The diode block setup mentioned above would probably be your best idea.

Hey 90EBBronco, do you have one of the large (like 1 farad) power capacitors installed with your amp? Although I have never had the need to use one, I understand they help alot with the voltage drops associated with "BIG BOOM".

Old 01-06-2003, 08:47 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
duel batteries

Diodes will invariably consume about 0.7V, so you're missing a little using them. For the best connection and highest current capacity, hook your second battery thru a continuous-duty relay (kinda like the starter relay, but exactly like a winch relay) so it charges when the engine is running & is isolated when the engine is off. The proper connections for the second battery would be:
Battery (-) to chassis/body ground
Battery (+) to relay main, with amp/winch power
Relay main (other side) to battery side of starter relay
Relay trigger fused to any engine-running-only circuit (like the blower motor, but NOT the EEC/ignition/OE radio/cigar lighter)
This is exactly how Ford wired it when they offered the optional aux battery in the early 80's - check a Haynes wiring diagram, but ignore the diesel setup.

Broncocam
Where do you think you see OE aux battery terminals on a '96?

Old 01-06-2003, 09:07 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
duel batteries

I am not sure what it is steve. I have two plugs on the driver side of my wiring harness close to the front plugs for the lights. They have caps. I was wondering if they were there to hook up a extra battery or are they for trailer lights. The weird thing is that I already have the plug in the back for my trailer lights and it looks like it is wired. Maybe they are for a block heater. I have never had this on any of my other fords at least that I noticed. This may be a stupid question but if anyone knows what they are let me know.

Old 01-06-2003, 09:46 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
duel batteries

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-Jan-03 AT 10:49 PM (EST)]They're not trailer plugs, and a block heater goes in the R side and has a standard household 110V plug to hook to an extension cord. One of them is probably the DRL connector (stored between the grille & core support on the far L). Is your 4WABS plugged in & working? How many & what color wires in each? I can look it up in my wiring diagrams.

Old 01-06-2003, 10:24 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
duel batteries

Yes my 4wheel abs seems to be working. Both of these plugs have a cap on them .One is round and one is bigger and about 2inches in length and about a inch wide. They are hooked in to the light wiring harness right where the harness sets on the front post by the radiator. I think this is a stupid question because now that I think about it is this a hookup to test the 4wabs? I bet that is what it is.

Old 01-06-2003, 11:24 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
duel batteries

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Jan-03 AT 00:24 AM (EST)]No, the ABS test connector is near the fuse block or the L hood hinge. Its red cover says "ABS TEST" on it.

One is definitely the DRL module connector, but you still haven't said how many or what colors the wires for each connector are!

Old 01-06-2003, 11:35 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
duel batteries

I do not know alot about wiring so what is the drl module? I would go outside and look at the wire colors but it is about 30 degrees and my house is so warm! One of the connectors has 6 wires and the other has two or three wires. The funny thing to me Steve is I have another wiring harness out of a 93 bronco that does not have either of these connectors ( they could have been cut off but it does not look like it). By the way my chilton manuel does not have a wiring diagram I think I need to invest in a haynes manuel.

Old 01-07-2003, 08:09 AM
steve83
Post Fiend
duel batteries

DRL = Daytime Running Lights

'93 was considerably different from '95-6, so don't try to do an exact comparison.

For a REALLY good wiring diagram, get the service CD, EVTM, or Helm diagrams off eBay. I have a few of the CDs & a burner...

Old 01-07-2003, 04:47 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
duel batteries

Steve, here are the wire colors,
the plug with two wires are blue orange and blue yellow.
the plug with 7 wires green red,red black,green black,grey white,black orange,purple white,purple orange. Now I am real curious as to what they are.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:03 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
duel batteries

The 7-wire terminal is the DRL, & the cap in it is actually a jumper.

The 2-wire connector is for the ambient temperature sensor (thermocouple) for the thermometer in the optional overhead console, which you apparently don't have.

(It's SO nice to have a wiring manual with circuits organized by color! )

Old 01-07-2003, 09:17 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
duel batteries

Steve I have the overhead console. I got one out of a eddie bauer bronco and installed it. That is great news I thought I was going to have to wire the temp sensor but now it looks like I will not have to I will just buy the sensor. Did some broncos have day time running lights? Where should the temp sensor be mounted? My wires are not clipped just stuffed behind the window wash resevoir.

Quick Reply: duel batteries