Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater core replacement tips

Old 01-30-2007, 08:37 PM
rguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heater core replacement tips

Can anyone with experience replacing the heater core share any tips to make the job easier?

Thanks.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 AM
BigBlue94
New User
It's been a couple years since I replaced mine, so I can't remember any specific tips very well. I can offer some words of encouragement, though. Aside from the tight working area behind the glovebox, it's really a quick and simple job. I just followed the Haynes manual step by step, and had no problems. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:35 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,078 Likes on 2,148 Posts
i will assume you are talking about your 90.
loosen the hose clamps behind the passenger side hood hinge, and remove the hoses. tuck the hoses up into the hinge to hold them in place , and to keep any coolant from leaking out.
remove the glove box Door by undoing the 2 door cables, then take the door off.
look in towards the firewall, and you will see a plate with i think 6 screws on it. remove the screws, and pull the old core out.
clean the box real good, then reverse procedures to install.
the hose from the intake goes on the bottom, and the hose from the water pump goes on top. this will set the water flow so it goes into the bottom of the core, and you will not get any strange noises.
total time is about 45 minutes with a coffee break.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:06 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

One screw was difficult to reach so used a flexible shaft extension on my drill. When done, I put a bead of RTV around the tubes where they go through the firewall. Good time to change the coolant if needed. No cables on my glove box, just pushed the end tabs toward each other. While core is out turn temp **** back and forth and watch the door to see if it is adjusted properly.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 AM
jem270
Senior User
Good tip on the temperature door. I wish I had thought of it when I changed mine a couple of years ago.

Search this Thread