General Automotive Discussion

Toyota nascar engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:07 PM
nickmobile67
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota nascar engine?

What motors will the toyoyos be running in nascar? I thought the fords even ran chevy V8's these days...

Old 01-30-2007, 07:33 PM
SCRWDRVR
"Obsessed"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They all run an engine of there own but they all has to be the same displacement and fit within the rules, So to answer your question there will run a Toyota engine

Old 01-30-2007, 07:37 PM
firstonraceday
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Not sure about the yota's, but the Roush Yates engines are Ford, along the lines of a Clevor (Cleveland Heads on a Windsor Block) if I'm not mistaken. Though I know there is substantially more to it than that.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
The engines are all brand-specific. The basic design of the blocks are similar, but heads are very different, and must be approved by Nascar. Exotic materials are kept to a minimum, and certain parts must be available to the general public (manifolds, carbs, etc.). Roush bare castings designed by Robert Yates are supplied to Ford teams, and GM Performance Parts SB2.2 castings go to GM teams. Toyota Motorsports is supplying the engines for the Toyota teams.

Pete

Old 01-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Americanmadeford
Senior User
I thought Ford ran V6ers?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:27 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
I would imagine that Toyota will handle all their R&D like they do in the truck series. I'm pretty positive that all engine information is shared with all the Toyota teams. Isn't that why Yates and Roush hooked up in the first place?

I know it would probably be a cold day in hell before Hendrick Motorsports shares engine info with Childress and vise versa. Same would apply for the Dodge boys also.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:37 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Americanmadeford
I thought Ford ran V6ers?
No, they are all V8s.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:10 AM
firstonraceday
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I think that Ford "encouraged" Roush and Yates to combine the engine program as Ford could concentrate their resources into one place. As it was, Yates and Roush could be going in two different directions and both wanting manufacturer assistance.

I remember Elliott Sadler (who was still with Yates at the time) saying, shortly after Roush and Yates had consolidated the program, that the strangest thing he saw was both Jack Roush and Robert Yates under the hood of his car checking the engine.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:45 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nickmobile67
What motors will the toyoyos be running in nascar? I thought the fords even ran chevy V8's these days...

My God..............where in the world did you here that tripe???

Interesting fact about the Toy motor (and Dodge to a certain extent) the architecture does not nor has ever existed in a production vehicle.

In the case of the Toy, it's the pushrod V8.......the Dodge effort has no roots in a production block/heads.

Of course, none of that matters with 4 door and or front wheel drive cars as the template for NASCAR...

Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I was wondering about that myself, at least ford, gm and dodge all made push rod v8's in cars and still sell the create motors. Toyota never had a push rod v8 in a car or otherwise that I know of, nothing like bending the rules. There's no stock left in stock car racing.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:34 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wendell borror
I was wondering about that myself, at least ford, gm and dodge all made push rod v8's in cars and still sell the create motors. Toyota never had a push rod v8 in a car or otherwise that I know of, nothing like bending the rules. There's no stock left in stock car racing.
What difference does that make that Toyota never made pushrod V8's in their cars?

How many Fusions do you see driving around with a pushrod V8? Dodge is the only one that offers a V8 in their car name they use in NASCAR. I'm not too sure if you can get a V8 in a Monte Carlo SS ( Impala SS yes )

What rules are they bending? The original idea behind the stock car was being able to go to a dealership and buy the same street legal version of the car on the track with the same motor albeit detuned.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Originally, the engine had to be offered in a production car, that was my point, at least dodge, gm and ford all made cars at one time that had a v8 push rod v8 in them, toyota never did, None of them do now, the rules have changed. Thats why I hate posting over here, someone allways has to get excited about everything you say.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Thank you. All I wanted was some clearification.

Who is getting excited?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:19 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the engine dudge is running was designed strictly for NASCAR,I am sure toyota has done the same thing.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:45 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Interesting fact about the Toy motor (and Dodge to a certain extent) the architecture does not nor has ever existed in a production vehicle.

In the case of the Toy, it's the pushrod V8.......the Dodge effort has no roots in a production block/heads.

Originally Posted by cjben
the engine dudge is running was designed strictly for NASCAR,I am sure toyota has done the same thing.

Is there an echo in here??????

Quick Reply: Toyota nascar engine?