You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
I just wanted to invite ya'll to a pinewood derby car race, sponsored at my church; Central Baptist Church of Owasso. Last year it was a blast. My then 4yr old son and I made a chopped top 1979 F150 in metallic green and won a first place trophy in his age range.
This year his car will be a Lightning McQueen replica. Mine will be......well, it's top secret, but it will be entertaining, if not fast. (Yes, there will be adults racing in their own class too.)
Building and painting the cars is a fun way to bond with your kids. I got to teach my boy how to use a power dremel tool and proper shop safety.
More details on where to get the kits, date and time of the event, and rules are posted below.
Everybody is welcome to attend. C'mon my fellow FTE'rs, gimme my son and I some real competition. LOL. (FYI, last year there were some fast cars. Our F150 couldn't keep up with one of the adult division cars. I can't wait to compete with my own truck this year.)
Be advised that they are using RA rules and the NON-FLAT wheels. So the kits you see at Hobby Lobby with the wide flat wheels will not fit on the tracks. KITS CAN BE ORDERED FROM THE FOLLOWING LOCATION.
You can't order online, but all of the information is there. Click on "Race Car Kits" and it will take you to a printable order form. You may call in the order<O:p</O:p
Date: February 24, Saturday Time: 5pm to 9pm Location: CBC Owasso, 9001 N. 145th E. Ave., Owasso, OK 74055
CENTRAL BAPTIST CHURCH<O:p</O:p
PINE WOOD DERBY<O:p</O:p
RACE CAR SPECIFICATIONS & RULES
1, The maximum race car size, including the wheels, may not exceed 7 3/8” in length, and 2 ¼’ in width.<O:p</O:p
2. The minimum width between wheels shall be 1 5/8”.<O:p</O:p
3. The minimum ground clearance between the race car bottom and track shall be3/8”.<O:p</O:p
4. The weight of the race car shall not exceed 5 oz. No loose materials are permitted in the race car. The race car may be hollowed out and built up to the maximum weight by the addition of wood or metal only, provided any additional material is securely built into the race car body.<O:p</O:p
5. The axles and wheels must be the same on all race cars. Only wheels, axles, and wood blocks supplied in the kit will be permitted.<O:p</O:p
6. No modifications of the axles will be permitted, except for dc-buffing and polishing.<O:p</O:p
7. No wheel modifications will be permitted, except to remove the casting lines.<O:p</O:p
8. Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are not permitted.<O:p</O:p
9. No springs shall be used on the race car.<O:p</O:p
10. All four wheels of the race car must touch the track.<O:p</O:p
11. Details are permissible as long as they do not exceed the maximum length, width, and weight specifications.<O:p</O:p
12. The race car must be freewheeling. No starting devices will be allowed.<O:p</O:p
13. The only permitted lubricant is graphite. .The race cars should be lubed with graphite and ready to race before entering the building on race day prior to being presented for inspection. No lubricant will be allowed to be used in the building except by the “pit creW’ when repairing a damaged race car.<O:p</O:p
14. Each race car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete. The inspectors have the right to disqualify those race cars which do not meet the specifications as listed above. Under certain conditions, those cars disqualified could be allowed to race in the “modified” class providing they fit on the track guides and fit within the track lanes.<O:p</O:p
15. After passing inspection, the race car wili be given an inspection sticker or mark and placed in an impound/holding area until race time.<O:p</O:p
what no open class? ive seen a rocket powered one before at a race i went to.
2004 F-350 CC LB Lariat FX4 6.0L Dually 4.10
2006 Chrome Package Front End With Steel Cowl Induction Hood
SCT Xcal 2 By Doug And DJ
Silverline Dual 409 SS Exhaust with 6" tips
Autometer Carbon Fiber Gauges
Dynoed at 394RWHP/720RWTQ January 2006
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.