1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Oil Pressure Gauge- 2002 Tremor

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Tremor23
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pressure Gauge- 2002 Tremor

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with the oil pressure gauge. I only have a problem if I am on a long drive and use cruise control. When I come to a stop, like coming off an exit ramp the needle keeps bouncing. I know there is plenty of oil, but I can't figure out why it bounces around. Anyone experience this problem or is my truck possessed?

Chris

Old 04-15-2007, 03:21 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thing to do is to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge on there and see what the real pressure is when it's idling cold, idling warm, and running (typically 2000 RPM).

Since the oil pressure "gauge" is really an oil pressure switch, anything over 7 PSI causes the gauge to read middle range, anything below 7 PSI causes it to read bottomed out on the gauge.

The sensors aren't too terribly reliable, so I'd say that was more than likely your problem, but with something like oil pressure, you always need to get a real gauge on there to see what's really happening.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:49 PM
white cat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2002 3.0 has done that several times after a long drive. But the press is good and I figure it just a quirky sensor, since it is so infrequent. And since I switched to Mobil 1 it hasn't done it.