Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

Coal Region anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:08 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coal Region anyone?

Anyone from the Anthercite coal region? if so, post up!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
optikal,
Why haven't you joined the chapter yet? Looking at your post count it doesn't appear your shy about posting. We're a nice bunch here and one more nice guy couldn't hurt.

Edit: I should have checked join requests before I posted, you where a couple hours ahead of me. Welcome to the chapter.

Last edited by soondg; 01-29-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:55 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
i'm not from the area but i get into the Ashland area often on RAC 's land to ride my quad....nice area up that way to ride an ATV on...

Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 AM
jade97
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally from Shamokin/Coal Township.....

Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
oldfart
Senior User
Sir, I'm originally from up in Clearfield Co. Little town there called Curwensville..likely ye've never heard of it but my folks have been in the coal business since back in the late 1800's. Pap Phillips died of the Black Lung...all my kin have either worked in/near the mines or drove truck for them. Dragged my little brother out of one of the last deep mines in that area and brought him down to south-central Pa. about 15yrs. ago. He still misses the hills and the snow...I don't! I'll never live north of Huntington, Pa. agin'!! I still go up yonder and hunt with them Yankees every year though. Good hardworking folks..sad to say the jobs have all left the area. Audie..the oldfart!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:31 AM
lostin90s
Postmaster
And Wall mart is running out rest companies and raising thier prices.
I really hate to tell you this but I live in Grampain.`The land of heburnia coal. You might know My familly the Mathews. I'm butches boy. They are stripping everywhere . Going to take hill from anderson creek all way to grampain . and are putting in a deep mine in wall town.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:50 AM
oldfart
Senior User
Well now Lostin90s you sure gave me a shock! Back when I lived in Curwensville (60's to 70's) I worked on Whittakers farm. Thats the farm that sets way back off the road on the left as yer going up Anderson Cr. Hill. Used to run around with Martin (Marty) Whittaker and George, and Inez was my first true love! I seen Aletta W. has a little store down at the bottom of the hill and up to'ards Grampian a bit. Now ye say they're going to strip mine all that! What a shame..I spent a lot of time on that hill. Now cain't say as I knew any of your folks but mind ye..that was a long time ago. I knew Jerry Guiher, Roger Hahn, John Ray and some other fellers I went to school with from Grampian. My folks still buy all their appliances from Grampian Hardware on account of the good service they've given them for so many years. Good talking to you my friend. Audie, the oldfart...lost in the memories..

Old 02-05-2007, 08:01 PM
84f250460
Senior User
i suppose im about an hour south of where you guys are speaking of here in hamburg. ive been through shamokin on a few occasions bout twice a year.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:04 AM
lostin90s
Postmaster
I live 1 mile from light towards Cville near trailer sales. The blue house on right with white F150 sc lb in yard.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:37 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Originally Posted by lostin90s
I live 1 mile from light towards Cville near trailer sales. The blue house on right with white F150 sc lb in yard.
Well my friend, I grew up on Bailey Rd...my folks still live there. Dyed in the wool Fords folks they is! Spent my youth fishing up at the Curwensville Dam and hunting every patch of woods south of 80 to Tyrone...west to Franklin, Pa. and east to Woodland! Ahhh..life was sweet..such memories. Got lost in Bilgers Rocks once...seen the caves there up close fer a time! (overnight!) Almost layed my Norton down on The Brickyard Turn doing over 80 m.p.h.!! Did lay it down on a patch of ice right over the bridge where Kents Sportswear used to be riding it to school in Jan.!! HAW!HAW!HAW! Bagged 'taters at Bells Potatoe Farm one summer..damnable hard work! Used to be a grocery store right down by the feedstore in Curwensville....Parkway if I recall correct. (?) The owner/meatcutter used to reload 30.06 ammo for me. Got my hair cut at Pete&Freds Barber Shop. (25 cents back then!) Spent a lot of time at Cokes Pool Hall (Coke Domico..prop.) where I worked as a "racker" and general nusiance! He also owned the bowling alley. I recall buying fresh roasted cashews at Buzzards Stationary Store..where my Pap always bought the sunday paper right after church. Worked at Super-Duper as a teen-ager!! Yessireee! I remember it all clear as yesterday. I'll be up that way this coming Aug. for our family reunion at Irwin Park...I'll look ye up then if not before. 'Til then my friend...thanks for the memories! Audie..the oldfart...

Old 02-09-2007, 10:47 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Darn Audie, 25 cents for a hair cut. I don't remember the cheapest cut I got, but, I do remember going to the movies (double feature, cartoons, serial and maybe a birthday or holiday party), getting a popcorn, soda and candy bar for 25 cents. the way you where describing your younger days I was waiting for Andy and Opie to start walking across the screen whistling

Old 02-10-2007, 03:16 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Originally Posted by soondg
Darn Audie, 25 cents for a hair cut. I don't remember the cheapest cut I got, but, I do remember going to the movies (double feature, cartoons, serial and maybe a birthday or holiday party), getting a popcorn, soda and candy bar for 25 cents. the way you where describing your younger days I was waiting for Andy and Opie to start walking across the screen whistling
Aye Soondg I rekkin' yer right. I kind'a grew up in Mayberry RFD...many years ago. That was Curwensville, Pa. back in the 60's and 70's. And a good time it was to grow up in that little town. Things was simpler back then..and more down to earth. Mind ye, I can recall...I had a Sears Allstate Mo-Ped that got 110+ m.p.g. and gasoline was 39 cents a gallon at the Mobile Gas Station! I delivered The Progress Newspaper at 25 cents a copy...got a lot of tips in them days that helped fund my hunting and fishing expeditions! Fords was common back then..saw the occasional Chevy..never seen a Dodge until I moved away back in 1973!! HAW!HAW!HAW! A "big night on the town" was going to the Civic Center and dancing to local bands. ($1 to get in!) New jeans down at J.C. Penneys was $4 a pair..outragouse!! (They wasn't no designer jeans back then.) A young feller could pick up enough pop-bottles alongside the road (2 cents return/deposit) to finance a date at the local movie theater, if he was willing to pedal a bike far enough. Fresh baked Italian bread at Super-Duper, where I worked as a baker, was 19 cents a loaf. A'course..on the downside..the minimum wage back the was $1.65 an hour. Average annual income was about $5000.00 a year. I moved south in '73 and was making more here than my Dad was making after working 18yrs. at Target Sportswear. Memories....just memories. Audie..the oldfart..lost in time...

Old 02-10-2007, 06:26 PM
69crewcab
Elder User
How about the areas of Coaldale and Summit Hill..
I frequented those areas as a kid growing up in the 70's..
My parents were from there, and my father still has family in Summit Hill..
My grandfather was killed in a coal mine in Coaldale... So i know it was a coal town

Old 02-11-2007, 06:36 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
The market is now unimart. buzzards and half block burnt. now dollar general .I imagine the barber is gone. The poolhall accrosed from Ford dealer is gone is a bank and old folks home. And the hotel by light is a car wash . Bells potatoes don't think doing any more. Yes it sucked working there.Supper D is gone target has it. Bilgers rock is like a camp ground now. And I rode the bank in my 84 ltd x police special on way to school one day 80 seem to be the magic number.for that turn . Grampian actually has a pizza shop and quicky mart . I take it you have about 20 yrs on me I'm 40 . Talk later

Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 AM
oldfart
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69crewcab
How about the areas of Coaldale and Summit Hill..
I frequented those areas as a kid growing up in the 70's..
My parents were from there, and my father still has family in Summit Hill..
My grandfather was killed in a coal mine in Coaldale... So i know it was a coal town
Aye Sir, now Coaldale doesn't quite ring any bells but at my age that's no surprise! Now we did live in Coalport for a spell! Coalport was just a little shanty town next to a big coal mine and a "tipple." (A tipple was where they stored big piles of the coal.) I rode thru that area just last year and the town's still there..and the coal tipple. Good ta' talk to ye Sir! Audie....still can smell the coal burning in them old furnaces....

Quick Reply: Coal Region anyone?