N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Turlock Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turlock Update

JD didn't find an FE intake for his liking, but still managed to spend a solid C-note throughout the day...Thanks again for lunch Jon!

Dan spent all his money on an intake within minutes of arriving!

JD spotted my axle setup after a few hours of searching...got my spidergears, a carrier and axle for 20 bucks!

Met up with Clint after lunch, then he headed over to my place to rest some...appears he was in his van too long and someone called the Sherriffs dept on him and rousted him!

Got late at my place and Dan stayed over in the camp trailer, we had a full house inside, my wife had some friends over so Dan had to rough it.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:31 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
To those who thought this was a small - there was more old iron for sale in the parking lots around the fairgrounds than I saw in the entire Bay Area swap meet -

And I know our 4 shoppers spent 9 hours going through all the junk and did not get to it all! Mike sold a pickup box to a crew from Livermore that had much the same experience - forced by darkness to leave some of the sale for next time.

You know it is good when you get 4 men to spend 9 hours shopping for anything!

Our meeting did not amount to much - things were running too late for that. We did discuss the Mudder Truck. Nobody was real happy at the idea of welding the spiders on the front end - so we will continue to look for a locker or spool for it. We still have time to find a bargain as don't have to do anything on the gearset yet. I was planning on rebuilding the limited slip rear but would swap it for a locker also.

We should have the engine onto this side of the mountain shortly. Mike is going to port the heads - and I am pushing him for a sort of a basic hot rodding 101 class. He said it would take about 4 hours per head to get 80 to 90% of what a good professional port job would.

We will plan a Saturday in late February for that class - and the students who attend can bring the teacher a beer instead of an apple! That will be our next meeting.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:40 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Dang, just hit the wrong button and lost my reply...

just to clarify, the port work I'll do will get us to 75% of the heads potential, that's what 4 or 5 hours per head will get us..the "real port guys" will spend another 10-20 hours on the job to get it's max output...but I dont think we'll need to go that far....yet...

I'm thinking:

1. Smooth the floors
2. Raise the roofs as much as we can
3. Work the bowls behind the guides for swirl
4. polish the exhaust ports
5. Profile the guide bosses for flow
6. Contour the short sides for increased flow.

But who knows, never looked at a set of 460 heads, might be more work, or less...but some things will have to be done no matter what.

Good thing I work for beer, or else it may be better to buy new heads

Last edited by 3Mike6; 01-28-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:01 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just rolled in the door a little bit ago...Mike, thank you and your lovely bride for the hospitality. I wish you lived closer so I could help you with your projects, they look like a lot more fun than mine! And Jon, I echo the thanks for the lunch.

Turlock...wow! is all I can say! I used to go to Harrah's swap meet when I was kid and it didn't hold a candle to this one! You'se other guys sure missed a good one. If you needed it, it was probably there. Heck, if you didn't need it, it was there...it didn't matter what. Car stuff, truck stuff, vintage iron, muscle car stuff...I even came close to buying an accordian! (Wouldn't that have been entertaining on our campouts!)

So we actually had four chapter members in the same place at the same time...possibly a new record. Now two more people besides Clint know I'm not merely a figment of the imagination. (Much as they may now wish otherwise... )

So c'mon guys, let's see if we can make a big GTG happen, what say...? It can't help but be a blast!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
An accordian eh? Now that is the perfect campsite weapon....er uh... I mean musical instrument. As for a GTG with more chapter members, that will be no problem as soon as you guys schedule them for the middle of the week instead of weekends I know, I know, Turklock wa not scheduled by the Nor-Cal chapter, but even if it had been, I would have had to bow out. I am paid more for working weekends than weekdays, and Sundays pay more than Saturdays.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:31 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Accordian

What is the correct musical term when one takes an accordian,throws it into a dumpster,and it breaks a banjo?Perfect pitch.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still hoping that everybody comes out to Micke Grove around Easter. I even bought a new FTE teeshirt so that I will be more recognizable. It's the best meet of the year. Jag

Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm still planning on that one for sure, John. But I expect you to be jumping up and down waving your arms non-stop till we're all assembled so we can be sure to find you...

Old 01-29-2007, 09:28 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Play an accordian,go to jail.It's the Law.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dan, I'm thinking of bringing baloons and maybe a sign for our table(s). I was going to ask you to bring that accordian, but then it dawned on me that it may chase people away! Jag

Old 01-30-2007, 09:36 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Hey guys
First off it was my pleasure buying your lunch for an afternoon of walking and walking and walking. Heck we needed lunch to keep up the energy.

I have done a little work to the 2 antique fly reels I bought and got them working like new. I also thru a bit of polish to the billet Allum air filter setup and it too looks like new. I still have not gotten around to cleaning up the Matco brake bleeder, oh yeah the floor mats fit great.

Not a bad haul for a c note...

It was a blast and a bit bigger than last year.

Looking forward to next year..