Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Which Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:53 AM
gto1340
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Headers

I Have A 2003 F-150 Harley Want To Install Headers Without Alot Of Mod. Will Shorty Headers Bolt Right Up Or Do I Need Equal Length... And Whats A Good Brand For 300 Or Under, If They Are Such A Thing....

Old 01-26-2007, 08:57 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Good and under $300 aren't going to be available. JBA is going to be the most expensive, but BBK's are decent for a few hundred less.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:19 AM
ckirwan514
Senior User
under three hundred does not exist. the headers are not as big a bang as mid pipe back. with high flow cats (2 instead of 4) you can get Bassani, Magna flow or JDM Engineering and have sites on the web. there are several venders who sell these items good luck on your mods.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:25 PM
gto1340
New User
Thanks Alot For All The Info. But After Checking Around I Decieded To Leave That Area Alone,i Added A Super 40 Flowmaster The Sound Is What I Was Looking For ,as Far As Horsepower Im Thinking Of Changing The Top Pully And Getting A Programer, Just Not Sure On What Brand For Either One And The Best Place To Locate Them,been Looking Around On Ebay,but Too Many Choices And Not Enough Info.. Also The Used Ones That People Are Selling Saying They Restored Factory Settings On There Truck So Your GOOD To Go ,can You Do That And Keep Using The Same Programer...

Old 01-28-2007, 04:35 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
No. They lock on the VIN#, if the tuner has a stock program in it, it will not work on any other computers.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by gto1340
Also The Used Ones That People Are Selling Saying They Restored Factory Settings On There Truck So Your GOOD To Go ,can You Do That And Keep Using The Same Programer...
Originally Posted by ReAX
No. They lock on the VIN#
Reread his question. The answer is yes.

Yes, the handheld tuners can be unlocked so it can be used on another vehicle.

But if it were me, I wouldn't even mess with a used handheld from ebay. Too many horror stories of guys getting ripped off because the handheld is still locked, and SCT or Diablo wanting a lot of cash to unlock it, yada, yada, yada.

Don't take chances, pay once and do it right the first time with a guaranteed homerun. Find a reputable tuner that suites your needs, buy the handheld from him, and let him supply you with your tunes.

Email tunes are good as a temporary measure until you can get a proper dyno tune. Personally, I wouldn't use the canned tunes that come pre-loaded on the handheld. Too generic.

There are quite a few well respected Lightning tuners available: Sal at Powersurge Performance (PSP), Johnny Lightning at Johnny Lightning Performance (JLP), Jim at JDM, JJ at Woodbine Motorsports, Greg at Racers Edge Tuning (RET), Rick at Amazon Tuning, James at Runnin With The Devil (RWTD).

Do some checking. Do some calling. Talk to the tuner. See who you like. Ask around and see if there is a tuner local to you who has a good rep.

As for your pulley swap, I'd recommend a lower pulley swap (crank pulley) over an upper pulley swap (s/c pulley) because you'll have more belt slip with an upper pulley swap because it's smaller than the OEM pulley.

Plus, since the OEM s/c pulley is pressed on, you'll need a pulley removal tool to properly remove the pulley. Using a pulley removal tool will reduce the risk of damaging the s/c snout.

Stewart

PS - A header swap at your power level will not give you a lot of performance, but it will bring a smile to your face because of the sound!

Last edited by S_Harvey; 01-28-2007 at 06:40 PM.