Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2002, 11:29 AM
Senior User

bbtkd is starting off with a positive reputation.
1973 Rachero Questions on ignition lock retainer and gear selector

Hello - when I bought my 1973 Ranchero last year, one of the problems was that someone had replaced the ignition lock but it does not stay in. I note the two spring clips but those do not seem intended to lock it in place (if they are intended to do that they are not working).

In the factory service manual, it mentions having to remove the steering wheel for access to a release pin. I suspect that whomever replaced the lock was not aware of the release pin and simply forced the old cylinder out. Anyone know how the retainer is supposed to work? The book really does not show any detail. I suspect I'll have to take off the steering wheel and dis-assemble the column, but I would appreciate any guidance before I start - at least I should gather the parts I'll need. Any thoughts or experience?

Also - my column mounted (auto transmission) shift lever is quite loose. I suspect that what it needs is a new pivot pin. Is that a simple press out and press in? Any thoughts on where I could find a new pin? Thanks!

Tom
Old 04-25-2002, 04:14 PM
Senior User

WB9PRG is starting off with a positive reputation.
1973 Rachero Questions on ignition lock retainer and gear selector

Old 04-25-2002, 04:14 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline

Tags
ignition, lock, retainer