Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
my dads big screw up

Well guys I am glad to be alive today! Let me tell ya'll what happened, this is hilarious. I'd been to town to pick some stuff up for another project, and when I got back my dad was draining the bio out of the reactor into the funnel shaped settling tank. About 1 min later I smelled something funny, and realized that the CRAZY OLD GUY LEFT THE HOT WATER HEATER ELEMENT TURNED ON!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE REACTOR!! RIGHT NEXT TO THE METHANOL DRUM!!!!!!!
And for those of you that don't know, if you let an element like that run dry, it catches fire! Any way the reactor caught fire, and we had to put water over in it to get it out, and the pump was pumping so we pumped some of this water over on the bio. But it settled out, same concept as a water wash I guess. but I was madder than you could ever possibly imagine.!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:13 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysFords
Well guys I am glad to be alive today! Let me tell ya'll what happened, this is hilarious. I'd been to town to pick some stuff up for another project, and when I got back my dad was draining the bio out of the reactor into the funnel shaped settling tank. About 1 min later I smelled something funny, and realized that the CRAZY OLD GUY LEFT THE HOT WATER HEATER ELEMENT TURNED ON!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE REACTOR!! RIGHT NEXT TO THE METHANOL DRUM!!!!!!!
And for those of you that don't know, if you let an element like that run dry, it catches fire! Any way the reactor caught fire, and we had to put water over in it to get it out, and the pump was pumping so we pumped some of this water over on the bio. But it settled out, same concept as a water wash I guess. but I was madder than you could ever possibly imagine.!
Well were glad you are alive too! [damn old farts anyway.....] Not the first time I've heard this either. This is one reason I'm working on a better system for heating the batch.............guess I should hurry up with it!

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Senior User

Murphy2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The appleseed design was invented by girl mark. It is one of the safest designs available.

Accidents can happen. Bells and whistles go along way in preventing them.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Posting Guru

Well, I have a halfway apple seed, metal tanks with holes cut in the top so I can see inside. However, the old guy sometimes forgets, but he is not really that old, only 48, but still very forgetful. I'm just going to have to watch more closely next time.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
Old is a relative thing. 48 ha that is just getting started at life. I'm 57...
Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 AM
New User

ToddT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Describe what happened when you doused a grease fire with water. I talked about this with a firefighter and he anticipated a rather violent splashing reaction. If so, was the splash contained in the drum?

Todd

PS... With regards to the comment of calling your father a crazy old man, I resemble that remark. I'm 48 as well. I confess that my multi-tasking potential is diminising. Therefore, I engineer safeguards so I don't make the same mistake as your crazy old man.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Posting Guru

Crash687 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
two word post...

level switch

I lied there is more than two words, put a fluid level safety switch in.
'05 F-350 PSD work truck
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:12 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
But only if it's EXPLOSION PROOF ! Methanol vapors are explosive, and the switch should be a sealed unit.

And thanks for the heads up on fixing my sig

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Posting Guru

I splashed the grease fire witha bucket of water, and it went out, and now I need a new heater element. Oh and yes old is relative, hes 48 and I'm 17
Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels