General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Dropping out of college?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropping out of college?

I have about year and half left to get bachelor degree. The problem is I hate college and I think its waste of time and money, but I'm not the one paying for it. I always had hard time in school, but I was passing classes (barely). And I'm sick and tired of it. This semester is really hard and there are big chances that I might fail 2 out of 4 classes that I'm taking. When I was passing classes easily (first 2 years) I didn't mind college, but since then I don't know until last day if I'm gonna pass or fail, and that kills me mentaly.
I'm thinking about dropping out after this semester because I don't think I can go through this crap for another year.

I guess many of you will tell me that this is not a smart idea, but I need some advice. What would you do if you were in the same situation as I am.

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stick it out. Once you're done, you won't regret it. If you quit, you'll always wonder "what if..."

Old 01-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
What kind of degree are you going for? I know my schools engineering program the senior year is when you get into all the really neat elective classes, and senior design projects. I vote stick it out.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:57 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
stick it out....

I wasn't ready for college, so i joined the Navy...now that i'm out (and still in the Reserves) I'm working full time and going to college full time (thank God for the general acceptance of online schools now!)....

stick it out....

Old 01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
ag-ford-4x4
Fleet Mechanic
You won't realize what a 'waste' of time it was until you drop out and realize you wasted all that time you already spent. Of course its hard, WTH did you expect? If it wasnt hard, everyone would do it. Employers don't pay for quitters, they also don't pay for "easy". You will be done soon enough and then when you are sitting at a desk rolling three times the paycheck of your buddies who dropped out that now bust their butts in the hot sun laboring, it will all be worth.

Stay in. Work for a living with your mind, not your back. You have already hacked it this far.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:01 PM
buckeyebronco
Elder User
If you drop out you don't get an associates degree, you get nothing. Even though you went to college for three years emplooyeers think your a quiter who only has a high school education.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:03 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

I quit after 2 years. I have regretted it everyday. FINISH it.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Joelski
Elder User
Get help with the classes, get your grades up and get your degree. It's not only going to benefit you after you graduate, but you owe it to whoever's paying your frieght to quit playing around and get your nose in the books. It's only a year and a half, as opposed to a lifetime of want and regret.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
What kind of degree are you going for? I know my schools engineering program the senior year is when you get into all the really neat elective classes, and senior design projects. I vote stick it out.
I have associate degree in networking and I'm going for bachelor degree in business management.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ag-ford-4x4
You won't realize what a 'waste' of time it was until you drop out and realize you wasted all that time you already spent. Of course its hard, WTH did you expect? If it wasnt hard, everyone would do it. Employers don't pay for quitters, they also don't pay for "easy". You will be done soon enough and then when you are sitting at a desk rolling three times the paycheck of your buddies who dropped out that now bust their butts in the hot sun laboring, it will all be worth.

Stay in. Work for a living with your mind, not your back. You have already hacked it this far.
I knew its gonna be hard, but not this hard.
Every semester (we have 3 semesters in year) few % decide if I'm gonna pass or fail. I don't mind studing hard, but in my case it just doesn't pay off. I study for hours and I fail exams anyway. After some time, I just got sick of that.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by buckeyebronco
If you drop out you don't get an associates degree, you get nothing. Even though you went to college for three years emplooyeers think your a quiter who only has a high school education.
Actually I already have associate degree. I went to technical college first 2 years and then I transfered to 4 year school.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
thefarelaneman
Posting Guru
Heres the advice you need,,no lie

OK after almost 3 years of college you better have 75 to 100 credits towards your degree.........If you cant take doing it anymore and are about to flunk out.You need to withdraw and go get a full time job in the field you ARE Majoring in............Re evalulate you plan.........save some cash. get some experience and then go back (part time if thats all you can stand) and GET THE DEGREE.........simple solution unless you want to join the army or someother wild solution.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by thefarelaneman
simple solution unless you want to join the army or someother wild solution.
At this moment I'm so sick of school that I would rather go to McDonalds and work for $5.15.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Why don't you talk to a wide range of folks who are out there working WITHOUT a degree, and get tehir opinion as well. If you're really serious about considering what everyone on here will share with you, you need to make sure that you listen to both sides of the fence. In my own 20 years of professional experience, I hear all the time from folks who are working in non-degreed jobs, and I'm talking about people who had a chance to go and didn't or aho dropped out because they weren't tough enough to stand up to it... it is almost universal that they regret not having gone or finished.

Ask yourself this, and let it provide some guidance and motivation for you.... What are you going to regret the most in 30 years? Quitting near the end? or finishing what you started? Even if the degree doesn't place you in an ideal position... there's a whole lot to be said for someone who finishes what they start and stick it out when things get tough. Those are the kinds of people who can overcome "difficulty in getting through it all".

Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
I don't know what to say. On one side I want to stay in school and graduate. But on the other side I'm tired of failing whatever I try with school. English is my 2nd language so that gives me even more trouble with school.
Try studing really hard for exam ... you hope you do good on the exam ... and then you either fail or hardly pass. That's how every exam was for me for the past 2 years. I just lost hope, college isn't for everybody.

Quick Reply: Dropping out of college?