2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, that is not normal and sounds like the problems in the TSB I posted. You won't hit 3-4 gear until 30mph or so.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure what "resealing the clutches" means. Usually a reseal job means a total transmission rebuild replacing all hardened, or cracked rubber and / or steel sealing rings. But this is usually done on a older high mileage transmission not a new one unless it is "burnt up" due to over heating. If it is burnt up I would think it should be replaced under warranty. If it is burnt up in a week, it may have a blocked fluid cooler line or something.

Nothing worse than a new car in the shop, it is a downer for sure.

I had my 07 in the shop for transmission shifting problems at 300 miles and now except when below normal engine operating temperatures works fine. That first shift in the morning always starts out in second gear, but when warmed up, it shifts ok. It is a minor quirk in the transmission that I have learned to deal with.

Please let us know what was found.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Berry1234
What is a "clutch shield"?
It is a new term for me.

I know drag racers use a heavy duty bell housing on stick transmissions and blankets on automatics to prevent explosions.
Gee, I hope my 07 transmission don't blow up too.
Thats all I need.
I guess you can tell I am not impressed with this "state of the art" 6 speed transmission. I wished my 07 had a E4OD.
Thanks
Newton 007

Last edited by Newton007; 10-09-2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: change
Old 10-09-2007, 04:00 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Not sure exactly what it is or if it is a clutch dust shield but I have heard the term before.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 AM
saboola
New User
Well, I got a different response today. Tell me what you make of it. As far as I understand, they have to reseal the transmission (something to do with rings) and do something to the clutch packs. He says there is an actual TSB on it but could not give me the number when I talked to him. I will keep you posted.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Newton007
Senior User
This sounds not good to me as any time you work on clutches in a automatic transmission, you have take the transmission out of the SUV and take the whole transmission apart to do it. It is more than just a pan pull and valve body change.

For a being new SUV this is really a sad situation if true.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Saboola. Some advice. Keep a log of all conversations with the dealer and all info regarding your truck. Keep a folder with all repair orders, etc. I would also call Ford customer service hotline and express your discontent with a brand new SUV having the tranny rebuilt so early. See what they say.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 PM
ticker
Freshman User
Find someone with a OBDII code reader or pick one up. I got mine for 40 bucks. I forgot what the code was but it said it was the speed sensor. I'm not sure of your vehicle but the newer models have the speed sensor and abs sensor together and it mounts onto the differential housing just above the drive shaft. One bolt and unplug and the sensor comes right out. get a manual if you don't have one already and it will show you.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
saboola
New User
I found out that my supposed problem is TSB 755. I found the following at Edmunds:

Component Description:
4. POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Bulletin Number: 0755
Bulletin Date: JAN 2001
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Expedition

Summary:
6R75 TRANSMISSION 2 - 3 AND / OR 4 - 5 SHIFT FLARE, POSSIBLE WRENCH LAMP ILLUMINATED WITH DTC P0782 AND / OR P0784. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10021458 )

I indicated to Ford customer service about a buyback. I am apprehensively going to let them try and fix the problem, but if it continues then I may have to go down that path. Thanks everyone for your advice, and I will keep you posted.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Berry1234 has the right idea.
I am not sure I would want to have a now "rebuilt" by the dealer transmission in my new SUV. It might be ok or it might even if it works now have another problem down the road depending on the skill level of the service department.
The dealer I took my 07 to told me upfront that no one there knows how to work on one of these 6 speed transmissions as they are new and no one has been to the factory school for training yet. So I would say it is a crap shoot to let the dealer service department work on it unless they were factory trained on one and had rebuilt a few before.
How would you really know when the factory could not seem to get it right and the dealer service department may not do any better.

In any case I don't expect my 07s transmission to make it to 100000 miles with out a big problem of some kind.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Newton007; 10-10-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 PM
saboola
New User
Newton:

Not sure what option I have here. Ford wont even talk about exchanging it unless it continues to have problems after its been worked on. They didn't seem to care about me having a new SUV with a rebuilt transmission. I am at my wits end, but I just don't know what to do at this point other than hope and wait.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Newton007
Senior User
I agree, it don't seem right to me. If you bought a used car or a 07 demo with a lot of demo miles on it, I could may be understand it. But a new "out of the box" SUV now with a "rebuilt" transmission?
Ford should have stepped up to the plate with at least an offer to replace your new 07.

I am a life long Ford, Lincoln, Mercury person, but it is things like this that makes me think about looking around on my next one.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
Originally Posted by Newton007
I agree, it don't seem right to me. If you bought a used car or a 07 demo with a lot of demo miles on it, I could may be understand it. But a new "out of the box" SUV now with a "rebuilt" transmission?
Ford should have stepped up to the plate with at least an offer to replace your new 07.

I am a life long Ford, Lincoln, Mercury person, but it is things like this that makes me think about looking around on my next one.
Ford should have stepped up to the plate for all of us. It is ridiculous, you buy a new 40K dollar truck and have to leave it at the dealership without getting a loaner while the dealership fixes your NEW truck. Ford really let me down on this truck. I will say that having the valve body replaced and having the tsb performed seemed to fix the transmission about 85% of the time. Occasionally I will still get the revving up sound occasionally where it doesnt shift properly, but it only does it maybe 1 day a week which I can deal with for now unless it gets worse. I too have always been a ford man, but after dealing with the transmission issues and the poor support from ford regarding the issues, next time around I am definately looking at all the options, whether it is Chevy, GMC, Infiniti, Lexus, or Nissan. My wife will need wants to trade here saab in for an SUV, and she has already told me it will not be a Ford, and I have to agree, I dont think I could have two fords in the family, too many problems and too many trips to the dealership. She wants the mid size Lexus SUV, we'll see.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by carbonmetallic
Ford should have stepped up to the plate for all of us. It is ridiculous, you buy a new 40K dollar truck and have to leave it at the dealership without getting a loaner while the dealership fixes your NEW truck. Ford really let me down on this truck. I will say that having the valve body replaced and having the tsb performed seemed to fix the transmission about 85% of the time. Occasionally I will still get the revving up sound occasionally where it doesnt shift properly, but it only does it maybe 1 day a week which I can deal with for now unless it gets worse. I too have always been a ford man, but after dealing with the transmission issues and the poor support from ford regarding the issues, next time around I am definately looking at all the options, whether it is Chevy, GMC, Infiniti, Lexus, or Nissan. My wife will need wants to trade here saab in for an SUV, and she has already told me it will not be a Ford, and I have to agree, I dont think I could have two fords in the family, too many problems and too many trips to the dealership. She wants the mid size Lexus SUV, we'll see.
I agree. Ford likes to use it's customers as Guinea pigs instead of spending the money on R and D. Now I am sure in 2-3 years from now the tranny will have the bugs worked out, but why do we have to suffer? The 5.4 engine is dialed in IMO. I have owned 3 fords with this motor and never had any trouble. The older trannys seemed to die at about 80-100K, and now seem to be better. Who knows when the 6 speed will be perfected.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:15 AM
saboola
New User
Originally Posted by carbonmetallic
carbonmetallic : Do you have any idea if they performed TSB 755 on your truck when you had all that work done? I am wondering if what you had done is what I am having done, and the tech is just having a hard time explaining it.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems?