2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
mine isn't bucking while at slow speeds. it is still bucking when stopped and in gear though

before they reflashed it, the trans would just up and forget what it was doing in during the 1-2 shift. It would either slam into gear (felt like we were rear-ended), or it would take 2-3 seconds to complete the shift

they ended up completely wiping my PCM and TCM, then did a fresh reload on them both. Neither the PCM or TCM would accept the newest reflashes before being wiped. It originally had the fall 2007 flashes (build Sept 2007)
before that, there is apparently a TSB to update the Valve body. they did that and saw no change.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:40 PM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like the Expedition so I gave them 1 more try if this doesn't work then I will go for the lemon law. We picked it up on Friday and so far it is working perfect. Just the way it should. They found a deformed seal somewhere in the front pump.

It now has been 3wks now and the transmission is still working the way it should. But I will not tow with it again. 10/4/2011

Last edited by 1960; 10-04-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: just updating
Old 11-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Smile Still working

I thought I would report in now that I have 600 miles on my 07 Expedition since the transmission repair on extended warranty. It is working just fine since the new 2011 valve body install and the reflash. Shifts great, no problem at all and it only took four years to fix the problem. Better late than never I guess.
I have my fingers crossed that the repair will hold this time for good or at least until I trade it in on a new one.

But now I have a new problem the brake pedal likes to go to the floor .
So off to the dealer for more fun and games.
I hope this don't take four years to repair as I still have brakes, but mushy brakes and then slowly down to the floor.

I am glad I got the Ford super duper extended warranty good until July 2014.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:40 AM
alsager512
New User
Dear, All

I have 2011 expey, with more or less of same issue in this post. When I pass over hump, I normally press break paddle and once I release break, some engine rpm increase with hard shifting & bump. This case happens sometime.

I went to dealer two time, they could not find problem code and even in driving testing with me the problem didn't appeared. So they just reprogram the TCM & PCM I guess.

I like my SUV, but this bugs make me very sad

Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Newton007
Senior User
Smile Still going

Thought I would report in about the transmission in the 07 Expedition. Still works ok since the new valve body and reflash last year.

Alsager512, Sorry to hear about your transmission problems. You will just have to keep taking it back until they fix it. They know there is a problem, but if you just keep bringing it back like I did, they will finally replace the defective valve body in the transmission. This has, so far fixed the problem for a longer time than it ever has been since it was new.
It only took them four years to fix it. WOW

Some of the 6 speed transmissions had a defective valve body, I know mine did and the repair was to keep reflashing the transmission which of course was useless as the valve body was defective all along since it was new.

I really like my 07 Expedition except for the ongoing transmission problems I had since it was brand new off the dealers lot.

I did have a few other problems, but they were all repaired on the first trip to the dealer, but not the transmission.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 AM
07EXPYEL
Senior User
I just had my '07 EXT transmission serviced at 58,000 miles. I took in the print out of the hard shift/ Squawk TSB and told them my symptons. They said they had to test drive it a while before they could duplicate. I'll have to look at the service order again, but I think they did the basic clutch service like others have done. I towed my 31' travel trailer for about 400 miles after getting it back and it was like new again! No probelems with the tranny, but the temperatures were pretty mild so the tranny never got above 210°F.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fix is good for about 30K miles. Ford really pushes not to fix this as they say it 'doesn't impede normal operation of the transmission'.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Doesn't impede my ***

When your trans downshifts so hard that you think you got rear-ended...I ain't driving a f'ing sports car!

Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
Doesn't impede my ***

When your trans downshifts so hard that you think you got rear-ended...I ain't driving a f'ing sports car!
"doesn't impede transmission operation" equates to "we have no idea how to fix the horrible engineering flaw and we have no interest in spending a dime on figuring it out". Gota love Ford.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:41 PM
sandroost
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
07 Expy tranny- how to asses?

Greetings from a new member and first time poster wwho is now digging up this dusty thread

And OMG what a thread.... I read about half of it but got lost in the mire.

The reason I'm here is that I just bought a fairly well preserved 2007 Exp EL with 95 K miles, a spotty maintenance history, and with the 6R75 tranny.

And I am experiencing some of the symptoms reported here- first or second gear "sloppiness" or looseness, most noticeable on a grade, with or without a load. No hard shifts, just loose goosey till I gas it hard.

Last weekend I pulled the boat to the river (with some mental reservations) and did some incremental test "dunkings" before launching for the day. I noticed that if I put the tranny in 1, it pulled the boat up the ramp like a champ! But if I left it in D (with OD off as I'd towed there) sometimes it would display the indecisiveness I'd noted before requiring excessive rpms and a heavier foot than I thought right.

Anyways, with the huge body of experience and knowledge here about this truck, tranny and "fixes"one thing I did not come across is the answer to my question of...
Are transmission shops able to "reflash" my TCM or is that programming proprietary to Ford dealers??
And if that reprogramming is not necessarily the fix, because a valve body needs to be replaced with a 2011 version to gain proper shifting, can most tranny shops do this easily, and are they aware of this hard part problem?

If this were your Expy how would you go about assuring yourself that it is ready and reliable in the tranny deprtment? We've got a lot of towing to do this summer!

I'm ok with going to my local Ford dealer if I must, but it seems I get better service with any of my vehicles at ma and pa or even some chain auto repair facilities. I haven't had a Ford since 2001 so I'm also a bit out of touch with them as well.

I don't think my Expys tranny has ever been serviced, though the previous owner had the dealer maintain it. However the Carfax report did mention "engine/powertrain computer module checking" at 75 K miles and at the delaer, fwiw.

Thanks for any input you may have for me! Over the last month of ownership we have come to love our new Expy EL! Hauls a truck load of teens, pulls a 24' boat better than my Silverado and can even hold two Mastiffs in XXL crates in the back!