Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2007, 03:53 PM
New User

Steve Combs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Auto locking hubs

I'm new to this type so excuse me for being a rookie but my F350 4x4 won't go into 4 wheel drive unless I get out and take them out of auto and put them in locked position and when I have it in lock mode it seams to work like it's in auto mode,when I put the switch on the dash in 2wd, it seams like it's only driving the back wheels,any help would be nice
Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Post Fiend

biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Your ESOF system is working as designed when you put the hubs in the 'LOCK' position. Keep in mind that when you put the switch to 2HI...the transfer case disengages. The front hubs are still locked, but the front drive shaft is not engaged at the transfer case. (hope that makes sense)

The real issue is the ESOF hubs in 'AUTO' are not working. Could be the vacuum lines, vacuum actuator, or the hubs themselves. If the hubs...then they need to be replaced and that is a Dealer only part...at about $250-$300 each.

Hope this helps...

biz

2012 FORD F250 SD CC 156" Lariat FX4 6.2L BOSS 4x4 4.30s
2003 F250 SD SC 142" XLT FX4 V10 Auto 4x4 3.73s -- Traded
1976 F150 LWB Custom 4x4 390FE NP435 3.50s
Old 01-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Senior User

stevenn1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your AUTO hubs have failed. Possibly a vacuum leak.

Basically the hubs connect the front axle to the wheels.

Basically the transfer case connects the transmission to the front drive shaft.

Having the hubs in MANUAL/LOCK position does not determine the truck is actually in 4x4 mode. For the truck to be in 4x4 mode, 2 things must occur: the hubs must be locked in and the transfer case must be engaged. If one of these 2 does not occur, then the 4x4 system does not work. Since your hubs are now manually locked in, the dash switch determines the mode of 4x4 or 4x2. This part is normal.

For more info read my article titled 'The Basics of ESOF':
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/53...ml#post4027310

Last edited by stevenn1; 01-21-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:53 PM
New User

Thanks to both of you,I'll check it this weekend and let you know what I find,my luck is that it is the most expensive part there is.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:32 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Oh no.....there are FAR more expensive parts waiting to fail on you.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 01-23-2007, 12:04 PM
New User

Hopefuly this truck is as reliable as the other Fords I've had
Old 01-27-2007, 02:54 PM
New User

Thanks to you guys, I found a vacuum hose that came off at the bracket before the axle and put it back on with a clamp.Took me 10 minute and cost almost nothing.This couldn't have came out any better thanks to your help.I will be useing this forum again.THANKS again friends
Old 01-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Post Fiend

biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Combs
Thanks to you guys, I found a vacuum hose that came off at the bracket before the axle and put it back on with a clamp.Took me 10 minute and cost almost nothing.This couldn't have came out any better thanks to your help.I will be useing this forum again.THANKS again friends
Yet another FTE success!

biz

Old 01-28-2007, 06:59 PM
New User

Talking Auto locking hubs

If its always that easy ,I'll use this forum alot,I'm posting another as soon as I'm done with this, about engine programmers called Power chips
Old 01-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Freshman User

muddytires is starting off with a positive reputation.
ok just a quick question. I have a manual 4x4 on the floor. Can i lock the hubs without engaging the 4x4 and drive off road till stuck. Then engage. If yes will it cause any problems ? is it a bad idea?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:52 PM
New User

chiefy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddytires
ok just a quick question. I have a manual 4x4 on the floor. Can i lock the hubs without engaging the 4x4 and drive off road till stuck. Then engage. If yes will it cause any problems ? is it a bad idea?
You can do this easily, especially on the trail. I wouldnt drive on dry pavement for long, i always unlock mine because i have heard of a some front hubs making a whining noise after locked due to being on dry pavement for long. I used to lock them before hittin any mud but now i think its more fun to just be lazy and try to power out in two wheel drive.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Post Fiend

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddytires
Can i lock the hubs without engaging the 4x4 and drive off road till stuck. Then engage. If yes will it cause any problems ? is it a bad idea?
YES...you can certainly put the hubs in the 'LOCK' setting...and not engage the transfer case (4x4) until you are stuck in 4x2. However...it might not be a good idea depending how stuck you get. Because putting in 4HI or 4Lo does not guarantee getting out...all the time. Sometimes it is the momentum that carries you through.

IMHO...as you see the conditions worsen...just engage 4Hi or 4Lo as needed...and do not wait until stuck in 4x2.

biz

Old 01-29-2007, 04:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2000, 2001, 2003, 2008, 250, auto, engage, f250, f350, ford, front, hub, hubs, lock, locking, position, replacement, transfer, work